Customised HDF file released

...if I copy an unprotected *.mp4 to virtual I cannot see it? if there are no other files on virtual I cannot see the Video folder at all?

The mediatomb package didn't have a MIME type in it for .mp4 files. I've just added it and uploaded a new version of the package. If you update the package list (opkg update) and upgrade mediatomb (opkg upgrade mediatomb) then you should be able to see them. I just created a .mp4 and tested it successfully. You might need to restart mediatomb or reboot the box.

Aha, I can now see the *.mp4 file on my HD but I get an error message "Cannot Support This File".
Yet I can put it on a memory stick and watch it local? Also I can stream to my iPad and watch this file??
I'm stuck???

Thanks, Jon.

Tried Mediatomb this morning, but it is completely invisible to every device on my network. The new Humax media server is visible to XBMC but nothing else. With Mediatomb running, XBMC isn't even aware that there are any uPnP devices available.

Almost certainly a stupid idea, but I wonder what would happen if we ran the HDR humax.elf on the HD?! - a horrible crash I suspect... Can the HDR cope without its primary hard drive?

Just tried this and it worked surprisingly well (ie didn't just crash) - It says its an HDR, has the new media server option. Only problem - it can't see any drives (including usb one), making it rather useless. I'm going to muck about with it more and try and fool in further...

Just tried this and it worked surprisingly well (ie didn't just crash) - It says its an HDR, has the new media server option. Only problem - it can't see any drives (including usb one), making it rather useless. I'm going to muck about with it more and try and fool in further...

Nice. How did you do it?

Nice. How did you do it?
I modified the S90Settop startup script to allow me to kill the humaxtv process without the box rebooting (in much the same way you have to allow restarting - ie not exit and loop at the end). Then simply killed it, and ran a copy of humaxtv (extracted from the HDR hdf) from the usb drive. I was surprised to see this work, especially as it will be linking with the HD version of Nexus library (another thing to try - using the HDR nexus lib). I'd done this originally so I can "play" with the humaxtv elf without having to build a new hdf each time ;)

Still can't see any disk volumes when using the HDR version of libnexus (and it still runs even more surprisingly - I kind of assumed "HDR specific" stuff must have been in here).

What is the internal drive on the HDR mounted as? Hopefully just setting up something at this mount point might make it happy...

Also tried using the HD elf with the HRD version of libnexus - caused a segmentaion fault...

I think libnexus is something that is provided by Broadcom as the interface to the hardware. It's the thing I want to try linking to so I can try modifying the hardware timers for remote scheduling. It should also allow for decryption if we get the parameters right.

The HDR mounts the external drive as /mnt/hd1, /mnt/hd2 and /mnt/hd3 (sda1, 2 & 3 correspondingly) but until the humaxtv binary has been run at least once the underlying sda/sdb devices aren't available. Presumably some sort of hardware initialisation has to be performed.

That's interesting stuff! Can you run the HD humaxtv to get the filesystems mounted then umount/mount them into the right place and run the HDR one?

I modified the S90Settop startup script to allow me to kill the humaxtv process without the box rebooting...

I'm adding another hook to the S90settop for the next version to hold the humaxtv down (/tmp/.humax.holddown) after it is killed so it should be more flexible then. I assume it is set up the way that it is so that the box automatically reboots if the humaxtv process crashes, which is why I did the changes that way (allowing only one restart once the restart key file exists).

The /var/lib/humaxtv/nosettop hook works ok too but, as I said, the disks and other devices aren't available until the binary is run at least once.

That's interesting stuff! Can you run the HD humaxtv to get the filesystems mounted then umount/mount them into the right place and run the HDR one?

Yes - only problem is I don't know where the HDR is expecting the internal drive mount to be?

I also just tried flashing a full version of your modifed HDR rootfilesystem (simply had to rebuild the hdf with the HD's system id). This fixed up a few text problems I noticed (must have been a mismatch with a data file containing them).

The media button just gives a "no entry" sign, so I can't see any volumes I have (a smb one, as well as the usb). Hopefully it is just blocking it as it can't see the internal drive, and its not looking at too low a level...

:D I'm there with my main objective - I've managed to decrypt a file from the HD and play it in VLC. Not in the way I thought when I started this which was "persuading" the humaxtv elf / libnexus to not encode the file in the first place (though I've made some progress with this). Rather it was by fooling the HD into running the HDR software, and using the "decrypt during copy to external device" facility. I'm happy, and as an added bonus I know a lot more about linux than I did before :)

:D I'm there with my main objective - I've managed to decrypt a file from the HD and play it in VLC. Not in the way I thought when I started this which was "persuading" the humaxtv elf / libnexus to not encode the file in the first place (though I've made some progress with this). Rather it was by fooling the HD into running the HDR software, and using the "decrypt during copy to external device" facility. I'm happy, and as an added bonus I know a lot more about linux than I did before :)

Wow that's pretty impressive - Brilliant bit of work. :)

Excellent! I suspect you've worked it all out now, but as I'm back home, here's the disk mount setup on my HDR:

Code:
humax# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                15.6M     15.6M         0 100% /
tmpfs                    61.0M     24.0K     61.0M   0% /tmp
tmpfs                    61.0M         0     61.0M   0% /media
/dev/mtdblock1            2.0M    512.0K      1.5M  25% /var/lib/humaxtv
/dev/mtdblock2            2.0M      1.2M    812.0K  60% /var/lib/humaxtv_backup
/dev/sda1              1011.4M     36.4M    923.7M   4% /mnt/hd1
/dev/sda2               906.1G    309.9G    550.1G  36% /mnt/hd2
/dev/sda3                 9.8G    165.8M      9.2G   2% /mnt/hd3
/dev/sda2               906.1G    309.9G    550.1G  36% /media/virtual

humax# ls -l /media
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 Jan  1  2000 My Music -> /mnt/hd2/My Music
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 Jan  1  2000 My Photo -> /mnt/hd2/My Photo
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 Jan  1  2000 My Video -> /mnt/hd2/My Video
drwx------    2 root     root         4096 Jul  6 21:54 virtual

humax# ls -l /mnt/hd2/Tsr
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      8659744 Jul  7 17:58 0.nts
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root    3855544320 Jul  7 17:58 0.ts

(virtual comes from the virtual-disk package)

Brilliant stuff, does everything work OK with the modded HDR software on the HD, if so can you upload it to 4shared or similar so I can give it a go?

Brilliant stuff, does everything work OK with the modded HDR software on the HD, if so can you upload it to 4shared or similar so I can give it a go?

Certainly not got everything working in "HDR mode" yet - but at least us poor HD owners have a way of decrypting videos now. I did just get the iplayer to work, but I've not yet managed to persuade it to record/time lapse. More importantly I just noticed there is no sound! I've had the tv muted all afternoon while I was working on it so didn't notice.

Hopefully we can get it set up so that we just flash with the HDR software and everything "just works", but at worst I should now be able to set it up so that we can temporarily run the hdr software from the HD flash to decrypt videos as required. Will tinker a little more, having just seen af123's useful info above, and try and upload something later...

Certainly not got everything working in "HDR mode" yet - but at least us poor HD owners have a way of decrypting videos now. I did just get the iplayer to work, but I've not yet managed to persuade it to record/time lapse. More importantly I just noticed there is no sound! I've had the tv muted all afternoon while I was working on it so didn't notice.

Hopefully we can get it set up so that we just flash with the HDR software and everything "just works", but at worst I should now be able to set it up so that we can temporarily run the hdr software from the HD flash to decrypt videos as required. Will tinker a little more, having just seen af123's useful info above, and try and upload something later...

Just been catching up on your progress with this........brilliant work! Well done!

Hmm... Before we get too excited, I have a nasty feeling I may have sacrificed my box to the cause :( I now can't install a firmware update from usb. The "hold down the powerbutton on startup" no longer works. I wanted to put back an HD firmware to see if that made the sound work again, but it won't take it. It looks like the usb doesn't even get power until the box is half booted up, and its too late. Bah - assumed all this was in the bootloader but it looks like I've now turned my box too much into an HDR (which if I understand correctly looks on the front usb port for firmware, that we dont have).

There is still hope for the rest of you in that running the HDR elf after bootup on an HD firmware works, but having it boot initially with the HRD elf is bad news. Any ideas to get me out of this one af123? :eek: I guess I might be saved by a future over the air update - hopefully it would do the HD one based on the system id right?

Eek. That's very surprising because I don't think the low level firmware (Micom?) should have been replaced by the HDR update, although it might consult some bits in flash.

You could try a different USB stick because some people reported that ones that they had always used before stopped working with the latest update for some reason. There's still something we don't know in this area.

If all else fails, you'll need to hook up the box to a JTAG so that you can write directly to the flash and hopefully fix whatever is wrong that way.

@af123 re. Mediatomb

I'm now able to "see" the Hummy media server and Mediatomb by using VLC in Linux (no luck in Windows...). However, Mediatomb doesn't seem to be configured to see the video files. Here's what the 2 servers are seeing:

media_servers.png

How do I configure Mediatomb to see the media files?

How do I configure Mediatomb to see the media files?

Go into the MediaTomb web interface (follow the link at the bottom of the web interface main page). From there you can browse the directory tree and select which directories to serve. I'm not near my box at the moment or I would post more detailed instructions!

Remember that MediaTomb can only stream content which you have decrypted though, which is why the default package installation just shares the virtual drive.

Back