DAB+

Since Classic FM changed to DAB+ I find I'm listening to it on FM again on my hifi. The DAB feed at 128kbps MP2 was on a par with FM given my FM reception is marginal for full stereo quieting. But since the change to DAB+ I'm definitely preferring the more natural sound of FM, the DAB+ feed sounds OK when listened to in isolation but a comparison shows some artificiality to the sound.

That's better than the cars which indicate and not mean it ("oh, I'm going straight across at the roundabout so I'll indicate right and scare the b'jesus out of the car to my right"; or "I'm coming off the roundabout next-but-one so I'll start indicating now")!
Seen that whilst walking. Trying to cross near a roundabout in a retail park. Car indicating right, positioned in the centre of the roundabout, exited on the right of the road - into the left exit, where I'd taken his indication and position at face value. He had to do an abrupt stop to avoid running me over. (Shame, you say!). Then proceeded down the road still indicating right, before eventually turning right. Some choice words were muttered under my breath.
It seems to be a common failing. Want to turn right at a roundabout, but fail to change to a left signal for your actual exit. Everyone else, including pedestrians, has to guess where your going. @#&+!*.

Got a new (to me) car yesterday and went through setting up my presets but no 5 Live Sports Extra so I am assuming I need to wait until it is actually broadcasting something before the radio will find it
Probably. Never had a problem with Sports Extra. There used to be (may still be) R4 spin-offs (Parliament? & Service?) which were/are a sod to find - should you want to. (I don't.)

The likes of Audi having followed that trend (I mean, you can't issue software updates or paid upgrades to a mechanical switch*), they've now realised their customers don't like touch-screens and are going back to proper controls. It doesn't take a genius to work that one out!
I was channel surfing and saw a headline (and nothing else, unfortunately) on GBN ( :eek: so every chance of being fake) that appears to confirm this. Some survey saying drivers prefer the traditional dashboard with real switches etc.

Last edited:
Traditional mechanical controls can be operated by feel; functions buried two menus down on a touch screen can't.

Traditional mechanical controls can be operated by feel; functions buried two menus down on a touch screen can't.
On my 2002 Mini Cooper S multi function steering wheel I have volume up/down, channel up/down and CD/radio buttons. They're on the back of the steering wheel, they fall nicely under the fingers when driving in the quarter to 3 position. They're not even labelled, but they're shaped such that you can feel what each one is in each group of 3 buttons. It's a lovely user interface, which BMW ruined in the mid life styling update a year or two later. They moved the buttons to the front of the steering wheel and made them so small you can't operate them by feel alone and yet the text on them is a bit small to read when driving. Sigh.

When driving you need to concentrate on your driving, not fiddling about with a UI. You need to be able to do things by touch and the briefest glance at instruments. Menus - no good whilst driving.

With my new car there are physical buttons on the steering wheel to step through the radio presets I have set up which is fine as 99% of the time I will be wanting to listen to one of those twelve stations. But if I want to tab to a non-preset station from a preset station that is alphabetically adjacent or close as is my practise then I have to use the touch screen. Not ideal but I can live with it. What is more irksome is that the DAB radio stations are grouped by MUX which means I know have to know which MUX a lesser-listened to radio station is on before choosing the preset that gets me nearest. :(

Also a pain that the music display does not show the play time. Not everyone listens to playlists of three minute pop songs - I want to see how far into a one hour podcast I am in relation to my ETA. I guess the old phone cradle will be being slapped on the new dash so I can see that info direct on the phone screen.

Seems Honda are not as good at UI design as they are at auto-engineering! 🤨

Last edited:
This sounds like a job for Alexa, let her deal with all the non driving controls and leave the driver to only have to worry about driving.

What is more irksome is that the DAB radio stations are grouped by MUX which means I know have to know which MUX a lesser-listened to radio station is on before choosing the preset that gets me nearest.
My JVC/Kenwood (as I have discovered by reading the manual recently) offers to save the database of all found DAB stations in alphabetical order, which will make stepping through them much easier. Of course, I'll need to do that when I'm in a location which receives them all! I mention it because you might have a similar scan & store feature.

Also a pain that the music display does not show the play time.
That's an option in the cycle of pressing the DISP button n times (which I normally leave on current time). It also appears when FF/REWing. I agree, I usually listen to lengthier programmes recorded off-air, but at least it will resume at the same playback point if I switch away to radio, or kill the ignition (provided I don't remove the UPD).

Finally got the user manual out of the car to peruse at my leisure and check up on these things. Also found that I can use my old Kenu Airframe to hold my mobile attached to the air vent while resting on the top lip of the built in ICE screen. A bit more fiddly than the other quick-release cradle I have to mount/release the phone but much more discreet when not in use and will only really need it for the occasional longer journey rather the runaround local trips that I use it for mostly.

Edit: Just had the thought that if on a longer journey I would be more likely to put the phone on charge and the USB connection would then allow me to use Android Auto (no wireless option on this car) and so use the native media apps I use to play podcasts and music etc and which do show the playbar. :)

Last edited:
This sounds like a job for Alexa, let her deal with all the non driving controls and leave the driver to only have to worry about driving.
Not a cat in hell's chance I will ever use voice operation to control a device. Unless at the very last it is the only way I can choose to turn off the life support at the end of my life.

Not a cat in hell's chance I will ever use voice operation to control a device. Unless at the very last it is the only way I can choose to turn off the life support at the end of my life.
It was once every little boys dream. I must admit though I have Alexa available on my TV and AV amp I have never ever considered using her nor voice control on my Aura or Cortana on my lap top, silence is golden.
1711290071141.png

When driving you need to concentrate on your driving, not fiddling about with a UI. You need to be able to do things by touch and the briefest glance at instruments. Menus - no good whilst driving.
That's why my car's display won't accept touch once you're driving.
otoh ...

I have a phobia about attaching magnets to an electronic gadget as I have a (probably obsessive and unwarranted) conviction that it may interfere with the electrons whizzing around inside.

Edit: Just had the thought that if on a longer journey I would be more likely to put the phone on charge and the USB connection would then allow me to use Android Auto (no wireless option on this car) and so use the native media apps I use to play podcasts and music etc and which do show the playbar. :)
That turned out to be a bust. Physical USB connection recognised but Android Auto handshaking not working. Wonder if there is a firmware update for the ICE system? Or how much to replace the ICE system with a modern one that supports wireless Android Auto (a few hundred quid at a guess)? Ah well! I have lived with an old-style car radio using vanilla Bluetooth for over ten years so not a biggy to live with what I have got. One small box ticked was I found the USB slot to stick the USB memory button holding my music library and the interface for that is a big improvement over what I had before.

Last edited:
Back