DAB+

My Pure Evoke-1 can't be updated either. Whilst a Pure product would have been better, I got a cheap DAB+ radio for listening to news stations. Unfortunately it came with the problem I mentioned earlier.

I mostly listen to DAb in the car but I have tuned 2 stations next to each other and when the ads hit I switch down to the other ... then up and so on

All commercial stations have annoying, repetitive ads, just as bad as the commercial TV crap! Even BBC local radio inserts programme propaganda at the 20/40 minute mark, completely ruining continuity.
I guess the programme makers/controllers don't listen to the broadcast output.

All commercial stations have annoying, repetitive ads, just as bad as the commercial TV crap! Even BBC local radio inserts programme propaganda at the 20/40 minute mark, completely ruining continuity.
I guess the programme makers/controllers don't listen to the broadcast output.
I don't know about other stations but Scala offers another on-line or in-app version of the main station without ads. (as they keep repeating along with the same annoying ads.) Apparently they play some additional music where the break should be. Of course you have to pay for the privilege. Perhaps the makers/controllers do listen to the output and have found a way to monetise a "solution".

Yes, there are other stations that offer paid for without ads, Absolute Country for one example. It's better just to swap stations or simply turn off.

Yes, there are other stations that offer paid for without ads, Absolute Country for one example. It's better just to swap stations or simply turn off.
Swapping stations works well on TV. For some reason they are nearly all on a break at exactly the same time! Quite often with the same annoying ad. I often listen to the radio when doing something else. It's not convenient to reach for the radio (or smartphone) buttons.

Swapping stations works well on TV. For some reason they are nearly all on a break at exactly the same time! Quite often with the same annoying ad. I often listen to the radio when doing something else. It's not convenient to reach for the radio (or smartphone) buttons.
They know you will have to buy that mattress topper sooner or later.

It's better just to swap stations
The ad breaks very rarely match each other, even going through the ... o'clock time interval.

Having said that, after a good few weeks, today I had 2 ad breaks at the same time. Survived it

From the ClassicFM website:

From January 2024, Classic FM is turning up the broadcast quality of its signal across the UK by upgrading from DAB to DAB+ for a richer, higher-definition audio experience.

Ahead of the switch, we’re giving our listeners a special £40 discount on a full price Amazon Echo Show 5 (3rd Gen) – a smart speaker and display.

So far as I know the Amazon Echo Show is an Internet streaming device, so I fail to see what the one has to do with the other. Had they been offering a discount on a DAB+ receiver, I might have been interested!

From January 2024, Classic FM is turning up the broadcast quality of its signal across the UK by upgrading from DAB to DAB+ for a richer, higher-definition audio experience.
That's annoying. Scala has just done this. By the time they've finished there will be nothing to listen to on my old DAB radio. It is unfortunate that better quality at lower bit-rate means more space for :poop_: !

This was always going to happen. The UK powers that be began with DAB, whereas Europe went with the superior DAB+. It was inevitable we would have to upgrade.
I have DAB+ but here in Cumbria we still have a limited number of stations from which to choose.

The UK powers that be began with DAB, whereas Europe went with the superior DAB+.
I wonder why we always seem to do this. (In the establishment's dislike of everything European we lose out. (And) That was when we were part of the EU. So now there's no hope!)

This was always going to happen. The UK powers that be began with DAB, whereas Europe went with the superior DAB+. It was inevitable we would have to upgrade.

DAB was an EU collaboration, the Eureka-147 project way back in the 1980/90s. DAB was fairly widely used in Europe for many years. Google the subject...
https://www.worlddab.org/ may be of interest.

Europe has just adopted the later audio codecs for DAB+ sooner than the UK.

Europe has just adopted the later audio codecs for DAB+ sooner than the UK.
I didn't know the history, but when I first bought a DAB+, my research brought up the information you give above. Essentially I could see DAB+ was the way to go and as EEPhil remarked, the UK went down the wrong route for too long.
As you suggest,I'll DuckDuckGo it......;)

I do that, but without the initial capital (as per "hoover").
I might do that sometimes. It depends on the context. I used it for emphasis here. I'm likely to refer to Dr Google to mean a web search for symptoms - a dangerous pastime. I refer to my vacuum cleaner as Henry (not Henry Hoover :mad: )

Back