DetectAds - Chaseget "DNLA Server is Not running" error

Thaddeus

Hello,

I've recently bought a Humax HDR Fox-T2 and installed the custom firmware:

Web interface version: 1.4.4-10
Custom firmware version: 3.13 (build 4028)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.13)

In generally things are going well but I can't get Chaseget to work in DetectAds while a programme is being broadcast.

I've double checked the settings and "Content Share" is "On" and "FTP Server" is also "On". As a longer shot I thought it might be "Power Saving in Standby" and "Automatic Power Down" so I've switched those both to "Off".

I did a test this morning and this is the log from DetectAds:

13526/05/2019 06:13:52 NS(4705)- New Program Length = 0s
13426/05/2019 06:13:52 NS(4705)- Wrote 0 entries to /media/My Video/Everybody Loves Raymond_20190526_0600-crop. Stripped 0 packets (0k) of EPG data
13326/05/2019 06:13:52 NS(4705)-
13226/05/2019 06:03:45 NS(4705)- progLen = 0s, 0 bookmarks, HD = 0
13126/05/2019 06:00:47 DA(4705)- ==DETECTADS Chase Run: /media/My Video/Everybody Loves Raymond_20190526_0600.ts
13026/05/2019 06:00:46 RM(4697)- DETECTADS: Started /media/My Video/Everybody Loves Raymond_20190526_0600.ts for chaserun advert detection
12926/05/2019 06:00:46 RM(4697)- DETECTADS: Checking /media/My Video/Everybody Loves Raymond_20190526_0600.ts (Channel 4) for channel exclusion

And this is Chaseget:

1180 26/05/2019 06:13:51 - CG(5400)- DLNA Server is still NOT running. Giving up
1179 26/05/2019 06:13:51 - CG(5400)- System power on attempted
1178 26/05/2019 06:13:51 - CG(5400)- DLNA Server is NOT running.
1177 26/05/2019 06:12:51 - CG(5400)- System power on attempted
1176 26/05/2019 06:12:51 - CG(5400)- DLNA Server is NOT running.
1175 26/05/2019 06:11:51 - CG(5400)- System power on attempted
1174 26/05/2019 06:11:51 - CG(5400)- DLNA Server is NOT running.
1173 26/05/2019 06:10:51 - CG(5400)- System power on attempted
1172 26/05/2019 06:10:51 - CG(5400)- DLNA Server is NOT running.
1171 26/05/2019 06:09:51 - CG(5400)- System power on attempted
1170 26/05/2019 06:09:51 - CG(5400)- DLNA Server is NOT running.
1169 26/05/2019 06:08:51 - CG(5400)- System power on attempted
1168 26/05/2019 06:08:51 - CG(5400)- DLNA Server is NOT running.
1167 26/05/2019 06:07:51 - CG(5400)- System power on attempted
1166 26/05/2019 06:07:51 - CG(5400)- DLNA Server is NOT running.
1165 26/05/2019 06:06:51 - CG(5400)- System power on attempted
1164 26/05/2019 06:06:51 - CG(5400)- DLNA Server is NOT running.
1163 26/05/2019 06:05:51 - CG(5400)- System power on attempted
1162 26/05/2019 06:05:51 - CG(5400)- DLNA Server is NOT running.
1161 26/05/2019 06:04:50 - CG(5400)- System power on attempted
1160 26/05/2019 06:04:50 - CG(5400)- DLNA Server is NOT running.
1159 26/05/2019 06:03:50 - CG(5400)- System power on attempted
1158 26/05/2019 06:03:50 - CG(5400)- DLNA Server is NOT running.
1157 26/05/2019 06:03:50 - CG(5400)- ChaseGet /mod/tmp/Everybody Loves Raymond_20190526_0600-inp.ts

The programme was meant to be broadcast 6am to 6.30 so the system was powered on at 6.03am when the error starts.

If I start DetectAds manually on a file, it works fine and removes the adverts.

These are the settings I'm using:

I've tried removing "ChaseAds" and then reinstalling it but that didn't help either.

Hopefully this is a very obvious newbie error but can anyone spot what I'm doing wrong, or have any ideas about how I can get it working.

Thanks in advance.

With a bit of blue sky out of the box thinking, I think there is an outside possibility that the DLNA server is not running. (Just a wild guess though) :roflmao:
Matthew said:
Some of us have occasional issues with Content Sharing turning itself off, this status can be checked in Diag->DLNA Reset
HERE
Content sharing has to be on for everything to run tickedy boo.

Then

WebIF > Settings > Boot Settings > Content Sharing > ON

Please put the 'printout text' in code tags.

I've double checked the settings and "Content Share" is "On"
That doesn't make sense in combination with the error reports you are getting, unless you do not have the HDR-FOX connected to a live network at the time chaseget is running. (Custom decryption has to loop via the network, or at least via a loop-back plug, so if there is no live connection it will appear as if the DLNA server is not running.)

Be aware (as mentioned above) Content Share has been known to turn itself off from time to time... but never to turn itself back on again.

"FTP Server" is also "On".
Irrelevant, and if you want to use the CF package betaftpd (which provides full FTP access, not just the restricted access the native server provides) you must set FTP Server to OFF.

If I start DetectAds manually on a file, it works fine and removes the adverts.
Be aware that advert detection is not 100% reliable. I prefer to have detectads just set a bookmark and then do the advert skip myself (although the uncropped version of the recording will be in your recycle bin for a while, if you have installed undelete).

Please put the 'printout text' in code tags.
See Newbies' Guide to the Forum (click).

Last edited:
The first thing to try is to attempt to rebuild the DLNA database from the diagnostics menu of the webif, this may solve the problem

But if the problem recurs it may be due to poor signal quality, see the posts by @Matthew in this thread he was only able to resolve problems with the DLNA server not running by installing an amplifier

Thanks both.

I've added "Content Sharing" to the Boot Settings as per Trev's advice, just to make sure it's definitely set to "On" at all times.

Can I clarify what "live network" means in the context:

unless you do not have the HDR-FOX connected to a live network at the time chaseget is running. (Custom decryption has to loop via the network, or at least via a loop-back plug, so if there is no live connection it will appear as if the DLNA server is not running.)

I've got the Humax box connected to my broadband router with an ethernet cable but do I also need to have my laptop switched on?

Or do I need to leave the Humax box switched on (i.e. rather than on standby) as the error log I posted (and the tests have done since) seem to always loop back to "System power on attempted", which is why I mentioned in my first post that I'd set both "Power Saving in Standby" and "Automatic Power Down" in case that was stopping the system powering on in the "correct" way to detect ads during a recording.

Thanks for the extra advice about the FTP server which I'll explore, as well as the "undelete" which I had already installed as a safety net for the reasons you mentioned.

I wrote all of the above but then did one final test which I think has clarified the issue:

If I go to WebIF >Diag > DNLA Reset with the Humax box in standby it tells me that the "Server Status" is "Enabled" but "Not running" but if I power the Humax box on it changes to "Server Status" is "Enabled" and "Running".

So I guess the answer is, that I'll need to keep the box powered on at all the times I want it to simultaneously record and detect ads.

Unless anyone out there knows of a way I can leave the box in standby and get it to record and detect ads?

If you enable content sharing in the boot setting, it will turn on the server at every boot.

Thanks Trev. I did do that (and restarted the Humax box):

but it still keeps coming up with the same looping "System power on attempted" and "DNLA server is not running" errors when the box is recording in standby.

I've tried MymsMan's* suggestion of rebuilding the DNLA database but I still got the same "System power on attempted" error.

I guess you're saying that it should be possible to have the Humax box in standby and record and detect adverts by just programming via the EPG.

It looks like there's still a missing element but at least I have a workaround in the meantime as it's definitely now detecting and removing the adverts during records if I leave the box switched on fully.

* I'm aware that you wrote the software so thanks for that as it does look like it's going to same me a lot of remote control work.

If I go to WebIF >Diag > DNLA Reset with the Humax box in standby it tells me that the "Server Status" is "Enabled" but "Not running" but if I power the Humax box on it changes to "Server Status" is "Enabled" and "Running".
Correct. The Half Awake power state is not sufficient for custom decryption - see Things Every... (click) section 18, and footnote 3 in my Decryption Guide (click).

As I leave my boxes in state ON 24/7, it didn't cross my mind that you might not. It's not a problem - just de-select chase decryption and then the ad-detection process will be queued for when the unit is on.

Can I clarify what "live network" means in the context...

I've got the Humax box connected to my broadband router with an ethernet cable but do I also need to have my laptop switched on?
A live network connection is when the 'Fox is in communication with any other device on the network, including the router, so that network accesses addressed to itself are delivered. This can also be achieved with a loopback cable if there is no network available.

Last edited:
It looks like there's still a missing element
Only that you don't understand you need the unit ON. I'm not sure how reliable self-induced turn-on is, but I'm pretty sure it would rely on the ir package being installed.

The DLNA server only runs when the box is fully awake so when Chaseget runs during a scheduled recording in half awake state it uses the IR package to turn the system fully on so that it can decrypt the recording (the System power on attempted message) . This usually works within a minute - but it retries a few times before giving up.

My guess is that the previous owner of your system changed the Remote Control to work on a different code set from the default and so IR is sending the wrong Power on signal for your system.

Go to the Remote control page on the webif and see if any of the buttons work. If, as I suspect, they don't choose Customise to go to the IR settings and at the bottom of the page you can change the IR mode, try the other modes until you find the one that works and Bobs your Uncle
Alternatively you could change the Remote control back to the default mode 1 but I can't remember offhand how to do that!

I assume the power on attempts only occur if ir is installed?

The mode number setting for ir is available via WebIF >> Settings >> Settings for ir package >> Select remote control mode, and as noted this must match the actual mode number in use. The actual mode number can be altered as per the user manual / instructions here: https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Fixes_/_Work_Arounds_for_Known_Bugs#Multiple_Humax_Remotes

Obviously the mode setting has to match the actual handset, otherwise it wouldn't work. Using the standard procedure to reprogram the control mode changes the 'Fox and the handset at the same time. The WebIF setting for ir only configures the virtual remote handset.

The ir command-line command has injections available to send the 'Fox a new command mode (this won't reprogram the handset of course), but I am not aware if there is a way to interrogate the current receive mode of the hardware via the command line or WebIF - it would be a useful addition if possible to do.

I assume the power on attempts only occur if ir is installed?
Chaseget has a dependency on IR so it will be installed
I am not aware if there is a way to interrogate the current receive mode of the hardware via the command line or WebIF - it would be a useful addition if possible to do.
Yes it would be nice, If that were possible IR could automatically use the correct mode without settings change.

Thanks both for some fine detective work.

As MymsMan guessed, the remote wasn't in Mode 1 so I've changed that using Black Hole's link, done another test and the EPG now switches the system on fully when recording, which means it detects the adverts and removes the adverts.

Is that a reasonable dependency? The need is optional.
Yes, not everyone leaves he box on 24x7 and installing the package costs nothing other than an extra option on the webif which you are not required to use but may find very useful

Hello,

I replaced my hard drive a few weeks back, which meant I needed to reinstall all the packages. For some reason, I now can't get Chaseget to work and when I check the log I get the same repeating error that started this thread:

07/08/2019 13:48:58 - CG(3743)- DLNA Server is NOT running.

07/08/2019 13:48:19 - CG(3822)- System power on attempted.

I've read this thread through but I can't see what I'm missing.
  • "Content Share" is "On" in here WebIF > Settings > Boot Settings > Content Sharing > ON (and definitely shows as "On" via the Humax box menu)
  • I've rebuilt the DLNA database from the diagnostics menu of webif
  • I've uninstalled and reinstalled detectads
  • I've checked that both the remote and IR package are both set to Mode (and even tried switching them both to Mode 2).
There is a "but" on the last point. When MymsMan mentioned about this, he said:

"Go to the Remote control page on the webif and see if any of the buttons work".

When I go to the remote control page on the webif, none of the buttons do anything to my box. Am I right in thinking that if I press the "1" button on the remote control image in webif, it should change the channel of my Humax box?

When I go to the remote control page on the webif, none of the buttons do anything to my box. Am I right in thinking that if I press the "1" button on the remote control image in webif, it should change the channel of my Humax box?
To be precise, click "1" and a 1 should appear on-screen top right, just like using the normal remote. The channel only changes if you click "OK" or wait a few seconds for time-out. But yes, the WebIF virtual remote should do exactly the same as the real remote, presuming the correct control mode is programmed in.

Thanks Black Hole. I've tried it in the box remote in various modes (making sure it always matches what it says on my TV screen with the "Select remote control mode" and then rebooting the box) but none of them will allow me to control the TV from webif, and following on from what MymsMan said about the way Chaseget works, it feels like this is why it isn't working.

Does anyone know how I could get it to could it to work?

I am not sure if it will help but try diag fix-flash-packages to refresh the portion of packages stored in flash memory.

What mode is shown on the Webif settings page for IR?
Ooops correct typo

Last edited:
Back