[disable-ota / disable-dso] Taking Back Control!

Thanks guys, that's what I thought. But having enabled 'Hide OTA from Visual View', the 'Disable OTA' entry is still showing in my schedule on the WI. So does the 'Unlikely to be an OTA' mean that the 'Disable OTA' package can now be removed?

So you've not re-read post 1 since I updated it?

Keeping disable-ota installed stops the 0430 wake-up, which will otherwise carry on regardless of there being no OTA to find. Enable RTS to make it reliable, and turn off the reminder schedule entry (needs to be deleted from the schedule manually as well as turning off the setting).

At one time a regular reminder wake-up was needed to keep the EPG refreshed, because recording from standby was insufficient. It has been reported that this defect was corrected in a firmware update, but I don't know which one or whether it has been confirmed in trials. The anti-OTA reminder schedule entry provided the refresh (which is why it is set for 20 minutes), without which an unattended HDR-FOX that was only recording from standby would stop recording anything after a week.

I'll do some tests.

Yes, I did re-read, but that was not the main question which was why does the OTA reminder still show up in the WI when I have selected it not to be in visual view. (is there any other type of view? Audible view?:))
Ah, I have to delete it and it does not re-appear although it is really still there? That's not very clear. Have got RTS enabled.

Ah. All is crystal clear now. Never noticed that before. Doh. Thanks AF. Perhaps I should add Muppet to my avatar as well.:oops:

an unattended HDR-FOX that was only recording from standby would stop recording anything after a week
An unused/unattended box which is left on 24/7 stops having any EPG information in its WebIf and stops recording after a week. If you playback a recording or do a channel change it fixes it.
I've thought about doing a simple "ir P+ P-" on a Cron job overnight to fix this stupid Humax induced annoyance.

Last edited:
Me neither, interesting.
It has been reported that this defect was corrected in a firmware update, but I don't know which one or whether it has been confirmed in trials.
Barry over on myhumax.org reported that it was fixed in 10.3.12 and it is mentioned in the Humax release notes (see below). I'm not aware of anyone testing it independently though.

upload_2017-4-6_10-41-13.png

All is crystal clear now.
Lucky sod. I'm losing it here. :confused:
With the current (2017) state of play what packages/settings should we have installed or removed to avoid potentially upsetting updates and excessive machine start/stop cycles? I know this is probably in the posts above somewhere but there are just too many words for me to distil it out.

With the current (2017) state of play what packages/settings should we have installed or removed to avoid potentially upsetting updates and excessive machine start/stop cycles? I know this is probably in the posts above somewhere but there are just too many words for me to distil it out.
I still use disable-DSO as retune messages are broadcast occasionally and I would rather do a retune myself, and make sure the best transmitter is selected. You could use auto schedule restore and tunefix, as described in the above posts, to mitigate the effects of an enforced retune. I also still use disable-OTA, with the reminder. The risk of an update is negligible but the box will wake up at 4:30 am anyway regardless of what you do. The 20 minute reminder is useful to allow decryption of recordings from BBC channels (I block this during the evening viewing period to stop onscreen menu navigation going laggy while I am using it).

At one time a regular reminder wake-up was needed to keep the EPG refreshed, because recording from standby was insufficient. It has been reported that this defect was corrected in a firmware update, but I don't know which one or whether it has been confirmed in trials. The anti-OTA reminder schedule entry provided the refresh (which is why it is set for 20 minutes), without which an unattended HDR-FOX that was only recording from standby would stop recording anything after a week.
This has never been the case for those of us using the default 'padding turned off' settings for 'Accurate Recording'.

Post 1.

An unused/unattended box which is left on 24/7 stops having any EPG information in its WebIf and stops recording after a week. If you playback a recording or do a channel change it fixes it.
I've thought about doing a simple "ir P+ P-" on a Cron job overnight to fix this stupid Humax induced annoyance.
This seems to work:
IMG_2307.jpg

I used to be regularly frustrated by this (relatively little used) HDR losing its EPG, but prpr's tip above produced a solution.

Being away at the moment, I wanted to set a couple of programmes for recording via RS.

I have three HDRs running 24/7 and registered with the RS service (HDR1, HDR3, HDR4). HDR1 and HDR3 are reasonably regularly used, while HDR4 generally just sits there making the occasional radio recording and converting to MP3. Consequently I installed the channel-toggle reminder strategy on HDR4, and left HDR1 & 3 to fend for themselves.

Via RS I set HDR1 for a near-future BBC2 recording, and a far-future BBC4 recording. After the next sync, the BBC2 recording was accepted, but the BBC4 recording is still queued due to "stale EPG" (and remains so many hours later). This indicates the EPG has not been refreshed since HDR1 was last used, so the BBC2 programme is inside the horizon but the BBC4 programme is not.

So I set the same BBC4 recording for HDR4, and it was accepted at the next sync. I reckon this is pretty good validation of the toggle strategy.

Back