[disable-ota] Seems To Have Stopped Working

I have just booted my Hummy. I have DOTA installed.
There is a scheduled DOTA entry in table for tomorrow morning, but also an Unscheduled auto-update:
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1423501927.540246.jpg

The DOTA entry is not shown here, it is higher up the table and scheduled.

Hope this helps your analysis.

EDIT: I forgot to point out that the auto-update entry says last: 10 Feb .... (Tomorrow!!)

Last edited:
The Auto Update entry appears to be unscheduled because of a bug in the WebIF, as reported HERE (click). Removing the other unscheduled items would reveal it as scheduled for tomorrow at 0430.

Your report is showing the same as me - disable-ota isn't doing its job.

Release Notes: Firmware | Webif
Web interface version: 1.2.1-6
Custom firmware version: 3.02 (build 2295)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.00)
Serial Number:

I do have DOTA installed
I just booted my box and the disable OTA event is in my schedule for tomorrow morning.
There is no Auto update entry.
Reboot from diagnostics
Wait a while
Disable OTA event still in the schedule
Boot from box
Wait a while
Disable OTA event still in schedule.
I really don't understand what's what or how it's supposed to work but that's what I got. Does this help?
Trev, you seem to have a problem with the terminology. I try to stick to standard terms to avoid any confusion. Let me try to explain one last time:

The schedule entry which appears in the screen shots labelled "Auto Update" is the Humax's scheduled daily search for an OTA update. The disable-ota package is supposed to remove it during the boot-up process (the only time it is possible to remove it). The Humax firmware reinstates the OTA search periodically, so it will be present in the schedule after it has been reinstated until the next boot. The problem being looked into is that the disable-ota package seems to have stopped working in that HarveyB and I are seeing the Auto Update entry in our schedules immediately after a reboot - we would not expect the Humax firmware to reinstate it so quickly (it never has before, and I am seeing this on 1.03.12 and 1.02.32 firmware)

Further, I have been unable to delete it manually through the WebIF either, which suggests a more fundamental problem than just disable-ota.

We do expect the Disable-OTA schedule event to be present and remain present in the schedule, assuming it is not turned off in the WebIF >> Settings for the disable-ota package.

Your results (Trev) either show that you don't have the problem, or that the Auto Update event has not been reinstated in your schedule since whatever it is broke. All you needed to do was check for the presence of the Auto Update entry and then check again after a reboot (if it was present before). The state of your CF installation will be interesting but not necessarily conclusive. If we get more reports of people for whom this is still working, and they correlate with CF installations or WebIF installations which are outdated, it will be a signpost to the problem.

Last edited:
Oh, cobblers.

I am not asking whether it is right or wrong. I was just reporting what happens on my HDR after a request from BH and a clarification request from me to BH.

BH said the entry at line 2 of the attachment to post #8 (which is clearly the Auto update entry not the OTA event) should not be there after a reboot, and I was confirming that it wasn't on my Hummy.

I told you that I didn't understand what was what, what should be happening and why completely escapes me, well it did until I read BH's diatribe in another thread and even now I'm not sure.

I am even more confused with the conflicting information. Thanks a bunch.

@BH.

OFFS. I really don't give *****. I was just telling you what happens on my HDR using the instructions provided by yourself to help you sort out your problem by confirming or not whether what you said happened on my Hummy .
I wish that I had never offered now as I am more confused than I was to start with.

Hell Trev, I'm only trying to explain. If you don't want to know that's up to you - but other people might.

Your results are pretty well irrelevant because you didn't say whether the Auto Update entry was present before you rebooted, as per the test procedure in post 18 after your offer to help.

I told you that I didn't understand what was what
You didn't say you don't want to understand, hence I keep trying to clarify. Maybe if you just concentrate on understanding one explanation?

what should be happening and why completely escapes me, well it did until I read BH's diatribe in another thread and even now I'm not sure.
Diatribe? What diatribe? Mihaid's topic started about something slightly different.

I am even more confused with the conflicting information. Thanks a bunch.
What conflicting information? There isn't any conflicting information.

My box was OFF before I started. You told me to look for and Auto Update entry. Just how am I supposed to do that without switching my box ON?
I then told you what I had done and what the results were.

I do have DOTA installed
I just booted my box and the disable OTA event is in my schedule for tomorrow morning. (STARTED IT TO DO THE TEST)
Reboot from diagnostics

Wait a while
Disable OTA event still in the schedule
Boot from box
Wait a while
Disable OTA event still in schedule.

What did I do wrong to make my info irrelevant?
BH said:
Diatribe? What diatribe? Mihaid's topic started about something slightly different
Yes, I realise that, but the info that you gave was relevant to my attempts at understanding of what's what. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word diatribe:) and re-reading your post #25 a couple of times has cleared it up a bit for me, for which I thank you.

Conflicting/confusing info:
BH said:
Quite simple: presuming you have disable-ota installed, do you see an Auto Update entry in WebIF >> Schedule as per line 2 of the screen shot in post 8? If you do, is it still there after a reboot (disable-ota should remove it during boot-up)?
EP said:
BH is saying that if you have Disable-OTA installed that after a re-boot there should be no OTA (Auto) Event in the schedule
These two quotes seem to conflict, or at least, the EP quote is confusing as it does not appear to me to mean the same thing as the quote from BH above and doesn't appear to use the standard terms.

And I'm being told off for not using non standard terms when I don't believe that I did. I posted exactly what was in my scheduled events, not something approximating to that.

In actual fact, despite what I said earlier, I am interested in how it all fits together, but was a pit peed off that I had tried, unsuccessfully it appears, to help after asking for explicit instructions, which I thought that I had followed. It appears to me now that if there was no Auto update entry present, the rest was pointless.

Hmm. fix-flash-packages. Could that be the answer?
No, not from what you've already tried/said.
Strange one - I don't have the auto update event on any of mine and nothing you've posted suggests a problem with the package.
I'll roll an update to disable-ota which produces a bit more output and see if we can pin it down.

Try disable-ota 1.0.3. The xinit.log following a boot should have a bit more information in it (just which library version and how many items were found and removed for now).

These two quotes seem to conflict, or at least, the EP quote is confusing as it does not appear to me to mean the same thing as the quote from BH above and doesn't appear to use the standard terms.
There is no conflict both lines are saying the same thing, that BH's 'Auto Update entry' and my "OTA (Auto) Event" should not be present after a re-boot. I am describing an Auto Event that is there to look for OTA, in my own terms, there are no standard terms for this

Last edited:
The standard terms are surely what appear on the screen, ie "Auto Update" and "Disable-OTA". There is no need to use anything else when they are there already, and anything else serves to confuse the issue. It is also our convention to refer to packages by their full names in italics, hence disable-ota is the CF package. As much as you dislike following my lead on anything, these are not terms I have personally made up.

Try disable-ota 1.0.3. The xinit.log following a boot should have a bit more information in it (just which library version and how many items were found and removed for now).
It's not in the update list, so I need a bit more instruction.

Ah, I see the problem: "!! ERROR - No network connectivity to package repository !!" (Which is weird, because that appears on the WebIF which obviously means the HDR is on the network)

The standard terms are surely what appear on the screen, ie "Auto Update" and "Disable-OTA". There is no need to use anything else when they are there already, and anything else serves to confuse the issue.
Confused me, as you can tell. As BH says, 'standard' terms are surely what you can see on the screen and are unambiguous. I was not confused by what BH said, the problem I had was not fully realising the implications of the 'if' in "if Disable OTA is present.

Back