Disable the "TV", "DVD" and "AUDIO" buttons on remote?

TonyC

I, and other members of the family, sometimes accidentally press one of these "Mode" buttons on the remote. There follows much wailing and complaining that "the Humax has crashed again", because it stops responding to the remote.

Yes, I know the buttons light up to show you if you have the wrong mode selected, and the Humax itself will sometimes put a message on the screen, but it can still cause confusion. Short of taking the remote apart and putting tape over the contacts, could there be any way to disable these functions completely? Might there be an undocumented 3-digit configuration code that has this effect?

I presume there's nothing at all that can be done in the 'Fox itself, as it's the remote that does the mode switching.

Do you fight over the handset? Only rarely do I press a mode button. It can't be that hard to learn what causes it and stop doing it.

There are full instructions for taking the handset apart are on the wiki HERE (click).

Alternatively use a universal programmable handset.

Epoxy resin covering of the TV, DVD and Audio buttons (only).
Or Stanley knife to the 3 offending buttons applied almost horizontally and then fill the cavities with epoxy resin.

I wonder if this could be achieved by using the custom firmware, and a modified version of the ir package?

If it were me I'd take the remote apart and put a layer of sellotape over the contacts on the offending buttons. At least that would be reversible.

If it were me I'd take the remote apart and put a layer of sellotape over the contacts on the offending buttons. At least that would be reversible.
Yes, that was my original thinking. But I know from experience that getting remote controls apart without breaking any of the little tabs is very difficult, so a software / configuration fix would be preferred.

I wonder if this could be achieved by using the custom firmware, and a modified version of the ir package?
Oh, you mean detect the "wrong" IR code and remap it to the "right" one? Hmm, nice idea. But can the Humax even receive codes intended for a different device?

Do you fight over the handset? Only rarely do I press a mode button. It can't be that hard to learn what causes it and stop doing it.
No, I think the button gets pressed when it is dropped, or put in a drawer, or something like that. And somehow I just get a mental block when the 'Fox doesn't respond to the remote, even though I know all about the "wrong mode" problem, it still just never occurs to me to check and I end up pulling the mains plug instead.

Oh, you mean detect the "wrong" IR code and remap it to the "right" one? Hmm, nice idea. But can the Humax even receive codes intended for a different device?
No, I don't mean that. The ir package already has the option to disable the volume control buttons, so it may be possible to add the option to disable the TV, DVD, & AUDIO buttons.

And for our new readers, when BH refers to a handset, he is actually referring to what the rest of us call a 'remote control', or frequently 'the remote'

If you must pick up on that, I will just remind everyone that "handset" is a noun while "remote" and "control" are adjectives. The full description is "remote control handset". "Remote" is by no means universal - "zapper" and "doofer" are also in common circulation.

My posts are written as technical documents, so due consideration is given to appropriate terminology. I don't necessarily speak in the same way. New readers will find a huge resource of debate on such matters in the Hummy Arms conversation we refer to as AvP (click).

Last edited:
My posts are written as technical documents, so due consideration is given to appropriate terminology.

Just as a point of clarification, in the Humax HDR-Fox T2 user manual it is referred to as a "Remote Control". At no time is the word handset used.

could there be any way to disable these functions completely?
The RM-F04 Remote has a JP1 interface (internally) so it is theoretically possible to re-program the device with a P.C. via this interface, however as fas as I am aware no-one has done this for the HDR-Fox T2 remote control (it has been done on the RM-F01 remote used on other Humax models)

Last edited:
Tony C,
Why don't you get into the simple habit of pressing the PVR button before doing anything else with the remote? It works for us as we use all the white buttons at times.
Surely, as your problem has happened to your family many times, pressing the PVR button would be the first priority? Much simpler than all the techy/diy stuff so far suggested.

Because the OP wants to disable the unused buttons rather than re-learn new techniques to overcome a problem that could easily be rectified by disabling the buttons. Unambiguous, no new learning, no more thinking the Humax has locked up. Major win. Re-programming people is difficult. Hardware fix is easy. The cover comes off reasonably easily if the instructions pointed to elsewhere are followed. Use the tape of your own choice ;=) Result!

Just as a point of clarification, in the Humax HDR-Fox T2 user manual it is referred to as a "Remote Control". At no time is the word handset used.
That's a point of information, not clarification. I'm not responsible for the decisions the Humax technical authors / translators may have made. As I have pointed out before, if you have a blue ball and wish to abbreviate your reference to it, would you call it a "blue"?

Please note: this is in no way an attempt to control what other people write. I am explaining the choices I make in what I write. Others can decide for themselves what they write, and whether what I write sets a good or bad example.

Last edited:
Because the OP wants to disable the unused buttons rather than re-learn new techniques to overcome a problem that could easily be rectified by disabling the buttons. Unambiguous, no new learning, no more thinking the Humax has locked up. Major win. Re-programming people is difficult. Hardware fix is easy. The cover comes off reasonably easily if the instructions pointed to elsewhere are followed. Use the tape of your own choice ;=) Result!

'New techniques?' Pah! Not in this case.
'Re-programming people- monkeys learn by repetition!:)

Re-programming people is difficult. Hardware fix is easy.
Quite so, in general. But it seems in this case that the hardware fix is not easy (given the fragility of the little tabs holding the remote control together, and the apparent absence of any simple reprogramming-type solution) so I guess I will have to resort to reprogramming the family (and myself, since I am equally guilty).
Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Back