Disabling OTA

peterpi

I've spent an hour or so searching for "disabling ota", Although there are lots of hits, I don't see how to do this. To quote a Beggar and Co number from the eighties, "Somebody help me out".

Thanks in advance.

It is a package that you can install via the WebIF if you wish. I am not 100% sure if you have to enable 'advanced package list', (the correct wording fails me as I am not at home in front on my boxes), to make that package visible.

In the WebIF:

Package Managment

Update Package List From the Internet

Available

The disable-OTA package should be listed. Click and install.

HTH

OK, thanks. It is installed, version 0.1, but for some reason got overwritten this week. Any idea why?

As I have mentioned many times before, there is a slim chance that disable-ota will still allow one through. The OTA searches are added to the schedule from time to time by the standard Humax firmware, when it finds the schedule item is not there already. The disable-ota package deletes the schedule entry when it finds one, but can only queue a deletion pending request for when the schedule database is not locked - ie at the next boot. If an OTA search is added to the schedule and then acted on without a reboot in between, and happens to coincide with when an OTA is being transmitted, the OTA gets through.

The solution is a manual reminder entry, full details by following the reference in Things Every... (click) section 1.

Note to Tell: this is not the same as a power-on timer entry.

Even with Disable-OTA installed, auto-update events do sometimes slip through into the schedule. You can see these events in Web-If>Scheduled Events or on the RS portal, if you have remote scheduling set up. If you really don't want to let an OTA update happen, install Disable-OTA, set a daily reminder (not a power on/ off timer) to cover the 4.20 to 4.40 am period, and check Web-If or the RS portal the day before a scheduled OTA for auto-update events: if you find one delete and reboot your box.

Edit: already answered by Black Hole

OK, thanks for that, I shall take the appropriate action.

I know its probably not the right place, but is there a similar issue with the Foxsat HDR? I have the latest custom firmware installed there.

peterpi said:
To quote a Beggar and Co number from the eighties, "Somebody help me out".
I remember that tune; we are probably of a similar vintage. GCHQ/ NSA bots, probably scraping this forum while I type, must be asssembling detailed profiles of our some of our members: I wonder what they make of The Hummy Arms?!;)

I remember that tune; we are probably of a similar vintage. GCHQ/ NSA bots, probably scraping this forum while I type, must be asssembling detailed profiles of our some of our members: I wonder what they make of The Hummy Arms?!;)

I still have a VHS tape of TOTP with that track on, and Freeze doing the Southern Freeze. Also available on YouTube. I was of a VINTAGE back then! :)

GCHQ, less said the better.

As I have mentioned many times before, there is a slim chance that disable-ota will still allow one through. The OTA searches are added to the schedule from time to time by the standard Humax firmware, when it finds the schedule item is not there already. The disable-ota package deletes the schedule entry when it finds one, but can only queue a deletion pending request for when the schedule database is not locked - ie at the next boot. If an OTA search is added to the schedule and then acted on without a reboot in between, and happens to coincide with when an OTA is being transmitted, the OTA gets through.
Ah. Hence why mine updated because it is almost permanently on and would not have had the update event deleted.
Description of disable-ota: "Prevents the Humax from performing automatic overnight boots to search for over-the-air (OTA) firmware updates."
The solution is a manual reminder entry, full details by following the reference in Things Every... (click) section 1.
I'll set such.

That's a good point, my three HDRs have been on for an extended period lately with few reboots, but I have not suffered an OTA presumably due to my reminders making the boxes busy at the time.

As some people seem to have problems with this. Perhaps the disable-ota package should also schedule a reminder event if it does not already exist.

As some people seem to have problems with this. Perhaps the disable-ota package should also schedule a reminder event if it does not already exist.

A good idea. I had the disable-ota package installed and thought that was all I needed. Now have the reminder set up so hope this helps?

My box is permanently on - should I schedule a reboot once a week?

Posted on the move

Good idea - another possible option I've been considering is to tweak the REGULAR_AUTO_UPDATE variables in the setup database. In particular REGULAR_AUTO_UPDATE_TARGET could be changed to something high so that the OTA wakeup isn't recognised as such.. I think the reminder option is safest and covers all bases though.

My box is permanently on - should I schedule a reboot once a week?
The WebIF and RS cannot modify the schedule without reboots occurring. It used to be thought that the HDR is more prone to crashing and misoperation if run continuously, I have left mine on quite a lot and sometimes find them frozen.

Good idea - reminder option is safest and covers all bases though.
If a reminder is built-in to the Disable-OTA package, would the Humax be able to cope with a reminder for the same time that a user may have already have set?

Code written, not yet tested. Will have to wait until after we've finished watching Skyline!

Code:
humax# ./xota
Opening /var/lib/humaxtv/rsv.db
XOTA: Removed auto-update scheduled events.
Did not find a reminder, setting.
Setting reminder on channel ITV2 (65537)

I use a reminder on my HDRs. Even without disable-ota it appears to work. It is set to 4:29-4:31 and a quiet channel.

The reason being is that if I neglect to switch of the sound system I don't get woken up and if I do it is just a short burst and so is not worth getting up to switch off.

What will the reminder be set-up to use and for how long?
Could there be a setting option so that the channel used can be changed from the default?

If you have your own reminder set then it won't do anything. If you want to change the default then you can just set the reminder by hand. As far as what it will do, I'm open to suggestions. Not everyone will have every channel tuned. It could try 'BBC Red Button' and then fall back to the first channel found during tuning. At present it's setting a 20 minute reminder between 04:20 and 04:40 on the first detected channel to prove the concept.

Back