Disk failing

The replacement 2GB Pipeline from Ebuyer arrived today. The date code translated to 6 May 2015, a little different from the Amazon Marketplace's 23 April 2013!!

And it was in an appropriately large box with pillow padding inside, then the drive's box, which also had some pillow padding inside.

That's good to hear!
I also ordered a 2TB Pipeline from ebuyer yesterday.
And Amazon have refunded £50 for the duff 2TB Pipeline I received from them.
Do let us know how the install goes

I have to confess I've not tried to install yet.
My current 1TB disk says it's failing, but with ~250GB stuff still to watch, I'm waiting for disaster before I try.
When it happens I'll post here

I do remember now and then to check my SMART status, but it just occurred to me to wonder if anyone has already set up a script to email themselves a warning if the SMART status goes bad?

Btw, on disk purchases, every disk I've ever bought has come in a sealed (air-tight) anti-static bag with a wee bag of silica gel inside... No (or open) anti-static bag => disk isn't new. I did once get a drive which was sealed, but still not new (the SMART data proved that, so I got a refund); I think it was probably a slightly botched factory refurb.

I do remember now and then to check my SMART status, but it just occurred to me to wonder if anyone has already set up a script to email themselves a warning if the SMART status goes bad?

For serious SMART issues, WebIF puts up a banner on its main page, to alert you. But you still have to login to WebIF to see it, so an email would be nice, agreed.

Can a "naked" HDR-FOX generate an email to the user? I suspect it would have to be generated by the RS on a trigger from the CF, and therefore each HDR registered with the RS in order to generate the emails.

Can a "naked" HDR-FOX generate an email to the user?
Of course it can. All boxes with the Webif installed have SSMTP and Sendmail.
They don't work very well though - SSMTP is very clunky, pooly documented, can't seem to set To: and Subject: and is weird to configure. Sendmail is probably better but I couldn't get it to do anything sensible on an interactive test.

Can a "naked" HDR-FOX generate an email to the user?.

Yes I think it can, webif-epgkeywords sent Email to a user containing EPG data and that wasn't dependant on the Remote Scheduler as far as I can remember. Busybox has the sendmail option and I have had this working in the past

Last edited:
While not wishing to rain on the parade, don't email servers reject incoming email that does not originate from an authenticated source?

While not wishing to rain on the parade, don't email servers reject incoming email that does not originate from an authenticated source?
ssmpt is still working on the HDR-FOX T2, I managed to send this Email to myself earlier Today, as you can see Thunderbird only did the usual 'This may be junk mail' :-

Email-from-HDR-Fox_T2.jpg

Generally speaking, yes, you can send email without any fanfare (or special setup), and of course invent your own "from" address along the way.
Another option, more faffy of course, is to use the outgoing SMTP server provided by your ISP, which might then also require authentication (as does mine; bit irritating since by definition they ought to be confident about the source ;)). I think some ISPs might just be able to block outgoing SMTP connections which aren't to their server, so that their domains can't be readily used to create spam, but most Humax users probably aren't going to have a problem...

So... since nobody seems to have done this yet, I might have a go at it sometime ;)

"they ought to be confident about the source" - only if you authenticate it, since you might be sending from any source.
"I think some ISPs might just be able to block outgoing SMTP connections which aren't to their server" - this used to be a rarity, but I think most of them do it now

"they ought to be confident about the source" - only if you authenticate it, since you might be sending from any source.
"I think some ISPs might just be able to block outgoing SMTP connections which aren't to their server" - this used to be a rarity, but I think most of them do it now

I believe you're more likely to find outgoing to port 25 (smtp) blocked, but hopefully outgoing to port 587 (smtp submission) open, which is what would be better to use. So if anyone is going to write a client for the Humax, please allow it to connect to an SMTP server's port 587 as well as port 25.

Mostly. If you're running Humax firmware 1.03.xx then it should manage to format it for you. I would still check for proper alignment of the partitions using the 4kalign diagnostic.

My firmware is as follows
Web interface version: 1.2.5-6
Custom firmware version: 3.02 (build 2295)
Humax Version: 1.02.32 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.00)

Would I need to take extras steps to install a new HDD, and what would they be?

Am I right in thinking I wouldn't have to decrypt any programmes if I copy them to an external drive, and then copy them back to the HDR T2 which has a new HDD?

Am I right in thinking that the encrpt/decrpyt keys are not on the HDD?

Is copying programmes to an external disk a simple process?

Back