Distributing Humax Output by UHF

The screw ones are a bit like SCART. They work until you move them and then they're a bit hit or miss.
Never had a problem with the screw-on ones in some 15 years. The only way I can see of making them intermittent is not fitting them properly or using them outside, when the compression ones should be used.

I returned the modulator to Amazon as it kept of falling over. I'm still considering an alternative. Any further suggestions?
Nope. Mine has not missed a beat since installation. I have mine set to CH43 on LCN 800 , but moved on the TV to LCN 8, (and BBC SD to LCN 7) but that should make absolutely no difference as long as it is tuned to an unused channel.

Nope. Mine has not missed a beat since installation. I have mine set to CH43 on LCN 800 , but moved on the TV to LCN 8, (and BBC SD to LCN 7) but that should make absolutely no difference as long as it is tuned to an unused channel.
I must have had a rogue machine Trev. I bought a Technomate HDMI to CAT convertor for £40.00. It's the one with a HDMI splitter on the TX and POE. Used a short Ethernet lead to test and it worked OK. Spent about two hours trying to get it to work consistently over 20M of CAT6 which I'd put plugs on myself and had no joy at all. Eventually tapped out the cable and found a few of the conductors were open circuit. It was time to dump my old crimper and buy a new one. I ran the new cable in and since then it has not missed a beat. It also has an IR Rx and TX so I can use the remote to control the T2.

Early days, but so far, well recommended.

You need to be careful though, these testers check continuity, but don't check that the correct twisted pairs are used, without the correct 'pairing' you will get problems on longer lengths of cable

I think they designed for people who have a reasonable idea of what they are doing.
I got the twisted pair thing badly wrong once (before I had a reasonable idea of what I was doing).
Said network connection didn't work despite the plugs 'ringing out' with a multimeter. Scratching my head for a long time until I twigged what I had done wrong.

I am going to try a length of cable and use jumpers to put crosses in ETC, see what the results are and report back.

Colour coding of the various wires to which 'pins' on the RJ plugs are freely available on the web. You can check that out with a magnifying glass on a transparent RJ connector. but it is important and not just plain left to right.

I find transparent RJs essential for inspection purposes, and the camera on a phone or tablet a convenient "magnifying glass" (with built-in illumination).

Colour coding of the various wires to which 'pins' on the RJ plugs are freely available on the web. You can check that out with a magnifying glass on a transparent RJ connector. but it is important and not just plain left to right.

I bought some where the conductor's stick through the ends, so you can check before you crimp. I've also had some with a guide you thread the conductor through, before you you insert (ooh matron) and crimp.

I find transparent RJs essential for inspection purposes, and the camera on a phone or tablet a convenient "magnifying glass" (with built-in illumination).

I've taken photos too. Very useful, as I have old person's eyes IE My long vision has got much better, but my arms seem to be too short to read small print.

Simple to use and gives a good basic indication on the state of your LAN cable. Self explanatory. The TX & Receive units were set next to each other and the cable tested. I had a 4 and 5 cross and 8 dis. If the cable is run in before you crimp the RG45 connector, you only need to look at the RX end as the unit cycles at about one LED per second. I suppose a short would have lit up two LED's at the same time.

For the price you can't go wrong.

Attachments

• Conductor 1.jpg
    Conductor 1.jpg
    370.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Conductor 2.jpg
    Conductor 2.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Conductor 3.jpg
    Conductor 3.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 17
  • Conductor 4 X 5.jpg
    Conductor 4 X 5.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Conductor 5 X 4.jpg
    Conductor 5 X 4.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 16
  • Conductor 7.jpg
    Conductor 7.jpg
    608.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Conductor 8.jpg
    Conductor 8.jpg
    608.2 KB · Views: 17
I bought one of these for £28, absolutely brilliant. It checks continuity, correct use of pairs and twists, and does quite well at detecting length:

Sadly not available currently, but this looks like the same thing and is only £21:

I've already found three drop leads with intermittent connections on some wires. And when I put some CAT6 in the walls with faceplates, I found one of them was making poor connections on most of the IDC punchdowns despite appearing to work for ethernet. Lying on the floor under a cupboard to do the connections probably didn't help.

The thing about the tester I have is it is so simple to put every cable through it before use there is no reason not to, even if you are in a hurry.

Sadly not available currently, but this looks like the same thing and is only £21:

Massive gouging from Amazon compared with the results in this eBay search (similar items in page 7), even cheaper if you make the search global instead of European!

Massive gouging from Amazon compared with the results in this eBay search (similar items in page 7), even cheaper if you make the search global instead of European!

a) it's not Amazon directly it is sellers on Amazon MarketPlace, so don't blame Amazon.

b) £22 on Amazon, £17.34 on ebay, that's not what I'd call "massive" or "gouging". I thought you meant they were a fiver on ebay, if they were I was going to order another one.

c) it still amazes me that anyone can make and sell a low volume yet moderately complex item like this for £22 and make a profit.

it still amazes me that anyone can make and sell a low volume yet moderately complex item like this for £22 and make a profit.
Only by practically zero labour cost, either by robotic production or by paying a pittance. Stuff is coming in from China for not much more than the shipping cost.

Back