Install Gnash as alternative to Flash:

http://www.gnashdev.org/

sudo apt-get install gnash
sudo apt-get install browser-plugin-gnash

Overclocking Raspbian:
http://elinux.org/RPi_Overclocking#Overclocking

sudo raspi-config
Option 7. Overclock – choose option
Use cpufrequtils (see below) to overclock and see the temperature and cpu clock rate. Consider adding a heatsink to the cpu.

Add CPU Monitoring:

http://qdosmsq.dunbar-it.co.uk/blog/2012/09/give-your-raspberry-pi-turbo-mode/

Add CPUFreq frontend and Temperature Monitor
Move them as required with up/down

Getting started with Raspbian on a Raspberry Pi and Windows 7 Part 3
Setup RPi as a NAS:
http://www.howtogeek.com/139433/how-to-turn-a-raspberry-pi-into-a-low-power-network-storage-device/

Add support for NTS:
sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g

Look for External drive partitions:
sudo fdisk -l

(One hard drive attached)

The drive/s is/are automatically mounted in the latest distro as the drive name in the media directory

Create shares dir.:

Change the USBHDD1 drive name to your drive name and;

sudo mkdir /media/USBHDD1/shares

Install samba:
sudo apt-get install samba
sudo apt-get install samba-common-bin

Make a backup of smb.conf:
sudo cp /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.old

Edit the smb.conf file:
sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf

Make these changes:

If your group is not WORKGROUP (mine is MYHOME), change the word WORKGROUP to your group name

default workgroup = WORKGROUP

Under:
####### Authentication #######

Remove the ‘#’ from the ‘security = user’ entry

At the end of the list add:

[Backup]

comment = Backup Folder

path = /media/USBHDD1/shares

valid users = @users

force group = users

create mask = 0660

directory mask = 0771

read only = no

NB. The name in [] is going to be the name of the folder in your network share. Change it now if necessary

You may like to revisit this file in the future to remove all the lines which start with ‘#’ or ‘;’. This may speed things up. However, I would wait until your Pi is completely set up.

Restart samba:
sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart

Add a user to the samba share: (change the user name ‘backups’ if required)

sudo useradd backups -m -G users
sudo passwd backups

Enter a password when asked and confirm

Add the user ‘backups’ as a samba user: (again change the user name if required to the name you used above)

sudo smbpasswd -a backups

Auto mount Samba shares on boot:

sudo nano /etc/fstab
Add the following below the existing entries:
/dev/sda1 /media/USBHDD1 auto noatime 0 0
Then save, overwriting the existing file

Reboot the Pi and from your windows machine access the share you have created on the Pi

Another possibility:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155

EDIT: Tested it and so far it seems fine. It runs automatically via Task Scheduler and is very simple to set up - no scripts :)

I ran this for some years and found that occasionally it failed to sync files. No idea why, but the danger is that if it thinks files have been deleted one end, it will do the same at the other, and you lose both copies. I just didn't trust it any more!

For the past few years, I have been using AllwaySync:

http://allwaysync.com/

There is a very good free version. You can run it manually or as a service.

I too have been using AllwaySync for a number of years but manually. I never considered using it as a service.

Do you mean via Task Manager? From what I gather since SyncToy came out on XP it has been updated and today those problems may have been eliminated. It was my intention to run it for a while then use Total Commander to compare the folders until I feel I can trust it.

At the moment I sync across 4 places so each of my two main machines are backed up to three places. The NAS would be a fourth rather than the only pair. Really I am using the Pi as a learning tool and will not abandon AllwaySync.

Thanks for pointing out that I can use it as a service too.

Job→Properties→Automatic Synchronization

Can't remember if it asks you at install whether you want the service. Anyway, there are several options, including hooking into Windows Task Scheduler, running when idle or at a specified time.

Sounds ideal Mike, especially as I am familiar with AllwaySync.

However, I am wondering how to deal with two or more sets of jobs. I don't see any way to have AllwaySync do more than one instance. Manually it was not a problem as you could choose which to job/jobs from all your jobs to sync, but automatically?

Sounds ideal Mike, especially as I am familiar with AllwaySync.

However, I am wondering how to deal with two or more sets of jobs. I don't see any way to have AllwaySync do more than one instance. Manually it was not a problem as you could choose which to job/jobs from all your jobs to sync, but automatically?

Don't you just set it for each job? If you have a spanning tree of jobs then any update anywhere will trigger all copies to be updated.

Currently I have two main computers, mine and HWMBO. I sync both to:

1. HWMBO: to a 1Tb HD; my computer and a netbook I use when traveling
2. My computer to a 1Tb HD, HWMBO and the netbook

I have a large archive on my computer, web sites and a large Google Earth database each of which has a separate job because they do not sync to the netbook

To carry out those syncs I have 5 jobs, each syncing to 3 places (a tree) and I do this manually, I could reduce this to 2 > 3

The 5 jobs are in one instance of AllwaySync which means that if I set it to auto update say once per week, I must first ensure all destinations are on online which is really only suitable for manual syncing, there being no point being auto if you have to check first

I would like my data to be constantly updated to the NAS (currently the 1Tb HD)and the other data to be updated as and when I consider necessary.

That would need separate instances of AllwaySync imo

Currently I have two main computers, mine and HWMBO. I sync both to:

1. HWMBO: to a 1Tb HD; my computer and a netbook I use when traveling
2. My computer to a 1Tb HD, HWMBO and the netbook

I have a large archive on my computer, web sites and a large Google Earth database each of which has a separate job because they do not sync to the netbook

To carry out those syncs I have 5 jobs, each syncing to 3 places (a tree) and I do this manually, I could reduce this to 2 > 3

The 5 jobs are in one instance of AllwaySync which means that if I set it to auto update say once per week, I must first ensure all destinations are on online which is really only suitable for manual syncing, there being no point being auto if you have to check first

I would like my data to be constantly updated to the NAS (currently the 1Tb HD)and the other data to be updated as and when I consider necessary.

That would need separate instances of AllwaySync imo

Ah, well, that is clearer!

One auto option is to sync to a usb drive as soon as it is connected. Another (suitable for a NAS) is to sync when file changes are detected

The auto sync I think gives an error message if the destination is unavailable. So, syncing between two laptops when one is off would be covered.

The obvious solution(?) is instant sync of all computers with the NAS. You can set up exclusions on each sync so that certain files are excluded. For instance, I have one job for my Documents folder and another for my "mike" profile (which would include my Documents folder, but in that job Documents is excluded.) I also have jobs to sync my music, video and photos to separate folders, actually on a different NAS, so that they are available without exposing my whole profile on the LAN.

I would put AllwaySync on each computer, syncing with folders on a NAS as soon as changes are detected at either end. Maybe there is something I have missed?

I am in South West UK at the moment so can't do anything. However you are right, i should install on other machines rather than control from one.

I have put an instance of AllwaySync on two of the machines. Each is started by Task Scheduler on a daily basis to send any changes to the NAS.

On HWMBO's machine there is only one job whereas on mine there are three. As for the Netbook used when we travel, I will update that manually before we leave.

Thank you for your suggestions.

It would be so nice to be able to close down Outlook and be able to backup the .pst file then start it up again.

I thought I had solved it but nope

Close and open Outlook with:

CloseOL.bat
@echo off
cscript [path]\CloseOL.VBS
EXIT

Open Outlook again with:
CloseOL.vbs
Dim oOL 'As Outlook.Application
Dim olkIns
Set oOL = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")

If oOL Is Nothing Then
'no need to do anything, Outlook is not running
Else
'Outlook running
Do while oOL.Inspectors.Count <> 0
For each olkIns in oOl.Inspectors
olkIns.Close olSave
Next
Loop

oOL.Session.Logoff
oOL.Quit
End If