DIYing with the Raspberry Pi?

So what's the best way to pick up a Pi then - Maplin? I can source a keyboard and mouse, I guess some kind of case would be handy.

You can get all the necessary bits from cpc.farnell.com
The Model B comes with ethernet port and 2 USB ports.
I find it best to also have a self-powered USB hub to allow for plugging other adapters and hard disks.

The official distributors are RS and Farnell but that looks like a good bundle.

It's not like this is going to become a major hobby, powered hubs etc can be added as and when.

Any reason not to buy this?:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raspberry-Pi-100035-Starter-Kit/dp/B00ALW7WWQ

That says, "Latest Raspberry Pi Model B (512M RAM)"

I read some where that there is a 'latest system'. I am not sure what exactly that related to but I did get the impression it was not the 'B' but may have been the motherboard. I think it said check what is printed thereon.

The "Latest Raspberry Pi Model B " refers to the Raspberry Pi Model B revision 2 which has 512MB of RAM, it replaced the Raspberry Pi Model B revision 1 in October 2012, the revision 1 had 256MB of RAM

The "Latest Raspberry Pi Model B " refers to the Raspberry Pi Model B revision 2 which has 512MB of RAM, it replaced the Raspberry Pi Model B revision 1 in October 2012, the revision 1 had 256MB of RAM

Yes Ezra, I was aware of that but still think what I read referred to something else. Wish I could find it again.

The model A was released after the model B and is a cut-down version with a single USB port and no Ethernet (IIRC). Better for some embedded applications and draws less power.

Back