DIYing with the Raspberry Pi?

I have never seen

Code:
sudo su

before.

I believe sudo su and sudo su - are different. They certainly produce a different prompt.

sudo su gives a prompt: root@raspberrypi:/home/pi#

sudo su - gives: root@raspberrypi:~#

sudo -s gives: root@raspberrypi:/home/pi#

I don't know the implications of the difference - yet! Although I have a good idea.

If you enclose the relevant section in the post above (containing :( ) in
Code:
[plain]...[/plain]
tags, you can prevent it displaying as a smilie thus:

:(

I don't know the implications of the difference - yet! Although I have a good idea.
The - at the end means that the super user's environment will be brought in - which is why you are switched into root's home directory with that variant.

The - at the end means that the super user's environment will be brought in - which is why you are switched into root's home directory with that variant.

I have found that I can do everything required with sudo su and in my first install I never needed sudo su -. However, during another install I came across the use of sudo su - and used it. Apart from the different prompt, it appeared no different in use. I just understood that sudo su - was a 'higher' level, not needed in my case. Correct?

Just come across this whilst installing Raspbian:

Once you have the latest version of Raspbian installed and your Pi is up and running, we need to install Raspbmc onto the SD card you installed Raspbian on.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/5...c-media-center-in-an-hour-or-less/index2.html

The object being to get XBMC in/on Raspbian. I will give it a try as installing the XBMC package on Raspbian produced a slow XBMC. I do need the flexibility of Raspbian so this looks good.

makem : Sorry, I thought I was only allowed an Edit window of 15 minute
There is a 5 Minute edit time limit on this forum for items posted in PMs (Private Messages, known as Conversations)

Other forums such as the one for my B-MAX
There is another forum I belong to where edit privileges are not awarded at all until you have 250 posts under your belt. The user properties are configurable by anyone with admin rights, and each forum should be regarded as unique.

Well, that was a waste of time :mad:

I ended up with xbmc only! So what was the point of initially having Raspbian? I want a 'PC' type of installation with choices of use.

Time to try another distro.

BTW. I did learn a little, how to set up the screen for XBMC

There is another forum I belong to where edit privileges are not awarded at all until you have 250 posts under your belt. The user properties are configurable by anyone with admin rights, and each forum should be regarded as unique.

Does anyone read the instruction book?

I trial and error lol.

Distro research over. Raspbian must be the one for me as the XBMC features are of less interest than an always on NAS. All of the other distros are dedicated Media Players and for me, my Smart TV with a Hard Drive, Humax and Panny are adequate.

I am having a special lead made up for the Pi. I bought a 4 way USB adaptor which can output 2Amp through any one or spread over the 4. I will use 2 to supply both the Pi and a USB HD. The lead has a latched switch in it which switches off the power to both. I am using one lead to avid having 2 power switches. The lead is Y shape at one end and W at the other, with the switch in the centre. The latched switch (lift up to switch) avoids the possibility of the missus turning off the power whilst dusting!

I have found sound is installed and enabled so that removes some chores. I have amended Part 1 which is now much more brief.

But sudo su means "switch to user root and execute the command "switch user (default root)"". Would not a plain su or sudo do?

Back