DIYing with the Raspberry Pi?

It's debatable whether you will need the licences, but they allow hardware acceleration to be used rather than software decoding as the CPU isn't fast enough. Apparently MP2 is needed for playing DVD files and some Live TV using a TV tuner USB stick, the VC-1 is needed for Microsoft's Silverlight Video

CrashPlan looks like the way to go to give me an auto backup of my Windows profile in addition to the ones I do with AllwaySync. I need to investigate if CrashPlan will do two backups and thereby include my wife's profile on her machine.

Can you explain why please?
SD streams from the Humax are MP2. Without the licence, the Pi can only decode them in software on the CPU, and it isn't fast enough.
The Pi's GPU is very fast at all sorts of AV tasks but the Pi team only licensed certain features to keep the overall cost down.

SD streams from the Humax are MP2. Without the licence, the Pi can only decode them in software on the CPU, and it isn't fast enough.
The Pi's GPU is very fast at all sorts of AV tasks but the Pi team only licensed certain features to keep the overall cost down.

Yes, I was aware of that but xyz321 said that the licence would be handy for the Humax and I asked why.

I don't suppose having licences for the Pi would improve the speed of the video in web pages?

EDIT: Ah, does he mean streaming to the Pi? :confused:

I have no need for that. I only really bought the Pi for three reasons, as a learning tool, to enable ITV catchup and to enable my wife to watch video in a Chinese web page. I have no need to stream from the Humax.
If the licence would speed up ITV catchup then I would buy it. However, I wait to see what happens the next time I need to watch a previous program I missed when recording on the Humax, my Panny PVR, or my TV HD which is rare indeed. I would also buy it if it helped with web page video.

In the case of the Pi, it will only help if you cannot play the source (sometimes you can get just the sound, but not a picture - a good indicator)

I'm sorry, but after much sweat over the last few days, (I see some people take months), I must ask for help.

I am stuck with mounting a windows 7 folder. Rpi sees the networked PC but returns the errors, Failed to retrieve share list from server and, The specified location is not mounted.

I appreciate this is not a RPi forum but I have tried elsewhere. Any guidance would be appreciated, however if this is outside the scope of this forum then I will understand.

My fstab file:

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot vfat defaults 0 2
/dev/mmcblk0p2 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
# a swapfile is not a swap partition, so no using swapon|off from here on, use dphys-swapfile swap[on|off] for that

#my login

//192.168.1.4/data /mnt/mylocalfolder cifs username=myusername,password=mypassword,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0

My smb.conf:

[global]
workgroup = MYHOME
server string = %h server
map to guest = Bad User
obey pam restrictions = Yes
pam password change = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
unix password sync = Yes
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
os level = 65
preferred master = Yes
dns proxy = No
wins support = Yes
usershare allow guests = Yes
panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
idmap config * : backend = tdb

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
path = /myhome/samba/netlogon
valid users = %S
read only = No
create mask = 0775
directory mask = 0775
guest ok = Yes
browseable = No

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
create mask = 0700
printable = Yes
print ok = Yes
browseable = No

My nsswitch.conf file:

[global]
idmap config * : backend = tdb
hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4 wins

If you have at least taken the time to read this far, then I thank you. :)

I appreciate this is not a RPi forum but I have tried elsewhere. Any guidance would be appreciated, however if this is outside the scope of this forum then I will understand.
In the Hummy Arms anything (almost) goes, so it shouldn't be a problem

My rc.local file:

sudo mount -t cifs -o user=changeme,password=changeme,rw,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 //192.168.1.x/mysharedfolder/mnt/sambashare/

EDIT: The computer 192.168.1.x is mounted in mysharedfolder, it can be pinged and tracerouted.

In File manager: Windows Network, Raspberrypi and RT-N56U
In Windows Network: MYHOME, HOME and WORKGROUP
In MYHOME: XXXXXXX (192.168.1.x)

But any further just hangs. It did bring up an attack detection in my s.ware firewall but the RPi has now been excluded and added to trusted.

No change if the s/ware firewall and antivirus are disabled.

In the Hummy Arms anything (almost) goes, so it shouldn't be a problem
This topic is well within the scope of this forum, and is very interesting, and a welcome change from some of the topics in this forum.;)

According to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1169149

Windows 7 seems to be bent on wanting you to use "HomeGroup" file sharing, but this will not work with Samba, it will only work with other Windows 7 computers, and you're probably better off disabling it if you need things to work correctly in a mixed network.

In order to get simple file sharing to work, you'll need to ...

Otherwise I've seen reports that a lack of DNS can cause this problem so you could try adding the IP and name of your windows 7 machine to the Humax hosts file..

Thanks for the suggestion. I have never used HomeGroup but it had started. I have disabled both services.

As for the hosts file entry did you not mean add the IP of the Win7 machine to the RPi hosts file?

I have only ever added untrusted sites to a hosts file but I will look into it. I suppose it is just the IP and Network name rather than 127.0.0.1 and site.

EDIT: I have added the Win7 computer to the RPi hosts file.

It has made progress, I can now see the shared folder data on the Win7 machine together with ADMIN$, C$, D$ K$ and Users.

I am unable to open the data folder and get the errors: Failed to mount Windows shares and The specified location is not mounted.

I feel the error is: smb.conf; Homes: path = /myhome/samba/netlogon

I cannot find any folder nor have I made any folder called myhome which is the name of my network. I cannot find a file netlogon in the samba folder.

It appears Homes: path = /myhome/samba/netlogon should read Homes: path = /home/samba/netlogon although I fail to see why, so, I made those folders but, no difference.

I made a few changes the smb.conf and now I can access Users right down to file level but the data share is still is not mounted or so it says. However, logic says if I can access Users then the reason I cannot access the Data share must be a Windows problem. It is not the s.ware firewall or antivirus.

This is helpful:

http://wiki.debian.org/SambaDomainController#simple_working_smb.conf

However it is still too complex for what I need. They say SIMPLE lol, thats a laugh :confused:

The strange thing is that you're mounting the Windows machine using the CIFS filesystem driver which is completely separate from the samba package and therefore smb.conf should have no relevance at all.

So they are independent. Another learned notch thank you. I will look at the CIFS settings before trying to ascertain if Windows is the problem.

Edit:

If you look at the rc.local settings which mount the drive, they refer to CIFS and sambashare.

The fstab settings only refer to CIFS.

Both use the same folder.

I am confused now which does the actual mounting at bootup, I thought both were needed. However in view of your comment, more sweat lol. But, I am learning and that is why I bought the Pi :)

Many thanks for the pointer.

So they are independent. Another learned notch thank you. I will look at the CIFS settings before trying to ascertain if Windows is the problem.

Edit:

If you look at the rc.local settings which mount the drive, they refer to CIFS and sambashare.

The fstab settings only refer to CIFS.

Both use the same folder.

I am confused now which does the actual mounting at bootup, I thought both were needed. However in view of your comment, more sweat lol. But, I am learning and that is why I bought the Pi :)

Many thanks for the pointer.

It's some time since I have installed Linux, but as I recall cifs uses the smb protocol for communication so they are not entirely independent.

Anyway, when you have all those catch up services etc working I look forward to your FAQ and I might even buy a Pi! :)

PS Does the 4od YouTube channel work?

It's some time since I have installed Linux, but as I recall cifs uses the smb protocol for communication so they are not entirely independent.

Anyway, when you have all those catch up services etc working I look forward to your FAQ and I might even buy a Pi! :)

PS Does the 4od YouTube channel work?

Not available yet as far as I know, however I have left those to concentrate on what to me are more useful things ;)

Me write an FAQ?? The best I will be able to do is present the necessary conf files and maybe a list of packages needed.

Actually, I have bought another SD card and once I get this working I will install again using the knowledge gained to try to streamline the install. I could clone the card as a backup but I think the current one is rather raggy.

EDIT:
It looks as if Debian does not use rc.local

to customize the boot process

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-customizing.en.html

Back