DIYing with the Raspberry Pi?

Next:

Router has given the Pi an IP but unable to connect at this stage. Removed the USB, no problem. Inserted the previous USB and lost the TV output momentarily. Got the 4 enlarged pixels which I had seen mentioned previously. Few seconds and it booted into the recovery mode, installing a long list of stuff similar to PC safe mode. After that I was back at the DOS config, screen but now I had a keyboard I could make choices.

Making progress, chose,

1 Expand file system - message "Your partition layout is not supported by this tool, you are probably using NOOBS, in which case your root filesystem is already expanded.

2. Change password - enter new UNIX password - no input seen on typing password.

3. Enable boot to Desktop

4 Looked at language and regional settings but left as all (found that Escape key is 'back, cancel')

5. Looked at advanced options but changed nothing

Next was asked if reboot or not so chose reboot.

It now brought up the 4 large pixels again, went into recovery, listed lots of things it was doing and booted into the desktop.

Next later if anybody is interested lol. (sorry for the BASIC language but I don't know nuttin!)

EDIT: Now I must see if I can find out how to allow remote control unless some kind person intervenes ;)

http://www.howtogeek.com/141157/how...i-for-remote-shell-desktop-and-file-transfer/

In the above SSH is found in Advanced options not as shown. After selecting enable you are taken back to the config. options, so, you cannot check your IP (Already got it from router). Setting a static IP is suggested at this stage but I decide to leave that till later as I forget which number is next (maybe 12 or 13? I forget)

Log into RPi using Putty and follow downloading tightvncserver - errors - unable to locate etc etc.

Internet needs to be setup?

Now you know what it's like being a nooby.

Next Later

Stuck :(

Have a wired connection to the router, an IP address but cannot access the internet. Can ping the router but not any other machine on the network.

Any help available?

EDIT: I can ping the Pi

My Pi experiments, so far, suggest that RaspBMC and Pidora are the best finished, and least likely to give installation problems.

I'll have to have another try at NOOBS, unless someone can positively confirm that it is possible to install NOOBS, thence install one of the OS (no RaspBMC or Pidora, unfortunately), and then switch to another (without re-installing NOOBS).

Pidora gives a linux machine with desktop capable of internet browsing, email etc, but lacking refinements (as initially supplied) for playing audio and video.

RaspBMC gives an impressive (to me) machine, with capability of playing audio and video files up to 1080p (limited as to usable formats). It needs addons to cope with DVDs and DVD-structured files (and ISOs). I've installed and tried addons for iPlayer, 4oD, Euronews, but haven't found ones for ITV or 5 yet - not that I've really tried, since I mainly wanted the radio stuff.
There isn't a PVR at installation - but I think one could be added (not sure whether it is really up to it).
People are using it to play from sources via SMB/NFS/DLNA (uPnP), tho' I haven't tried NFS.
There isn't any web-browser. There are good support forums.

I thought about Squeezeplug, but decided it didn't seem to have what I wanted - might be worth investigating

Now I've tried NOOBS 1.1 and NOOBS 1.2 (cannot see what has changed)
I cannot get into recovery mode by holding (either) Shift key as per instructions,
so it isn't as good as a single-purpose install.
Further, it seems that the NOOBS mechanisms, however they work, may be interfering with the OS own configuration (things get lost in the automatic reboots)

Later - after more trials, and involving a different set of hardware, I managed to get the prompt to recover/change OS.
Somewhere, since the initial load of NOOBS and install Pidora on the first set of hardware, the setup is prepared to cooperate in using a VGA monitor driven through a HDMI converter.

I installed Raspbian from NOOBS as it was the recommended OS. After setting it all up I found I needed flash to access some TV video from China.

I rebooted Pi and pressed the ctrl and shift key together. I was taken to the NOOBS install screen and was able to choose Raspbmc which as I type is being installed on the SD card, overwriting Raspbian.

While using Raspbian with tightvnc I noticed that my view of the desktop was not that which I saw on the TV via HDMI.

After some searching I came acress x11vnc which is supposed to give you a one to one view of the desktop. I will try that if necessary.

Just had an "image applied successfully" notice so you can have some idea how long it took from the time it takes to two finger type this lol

My Pi experiments, so far, suggest that RaspBMC and Pidora are the best finished, and least likely to give installation problems.

I'll have to have another try at NOOBS, unless someone can positively confirm that it is possible to install NOOBS, thence install one of the OS (no RaspBMC or Pidora, unfortunately), and then switch to another (without re-installing NOOBS).

Pidora gives a linux machine with desktop capable of internet browsing, email etc, but lacking refinements (as initially supplied) for playing audio and video.

RaspBMC gives an impressive (to me) machine, with capability of playing audio and video files up to 1080p (limited as to usable formats). It needs addons to cope with DVDs and DVD-structured files (and ISOs). I've installed and tried addons for iPlayer, 4oD, Euronews, but haven't found ones for ITV or 5 yet - not that I've really tried, since I mainly wanted the radio stuff.
There isn't a PVR at installation - but I think one could be added (not sure whether it is really up to it).
People are using it to play from sources via SMB/NFS/DLNA (uPnP), tho' I haven't tried NFS.
There isn't any web-browser. There are good support forums.

I thought about Squeezeplug, but decided it didn't seem to have what I wanted - might be worth investigating

I can positively confirm that it is possible to install NOOBS, thence install one of the OS (no RaspBMC or Pidora, unfortunately), and then switch to another (without re-installing NOOBS).

See my previous post.

I just had a:

kernal panic not syncing vfs unable to mount root fs on unknown bloc etc

whilst Raspbmc was installing :(

Have seen mention of a bug:

There's a bug in the raspbmc / xmbc update scripts - Noobs install of raspbmc installs the root filesystem on a logical partition (p6) not the second primary partition (p2).

Current command line:
dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 noatime quiet rootwait loglevel=1 persistent-logs zram.num_devices=2

Should be:
dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 root=/dev/mmcblk0p6 rootfstype=ext4 noatime quiet rootwait loglevel=1 persistent-logs zram.num_devices=2

Solution: This is an easy noob fix, if you already have another machine with linux installed. Just put the SD card in the other machine open the small partition (mine was around 70MB, another one existed which was significantly larger). You will find the cmdline.txt file, change mmcblk0p2 to mmcblk0p6.
Now put your SD card back into the RPi and boot it.

As I am unable to do that I will try reformat of the SD card and another install of NOOBS. If it fails again I will find a copy of Raspbmc on it's own to try. I notice that Openelec is said to be more stable.

http://goshawknest.wordpress.com/2013/02/19/openelec-vs-raspbmc-vs-xbian/

Maybe I should try Xbian?

If the local Pi club is on tonight (every Tuesday - maybe!), I may get some advice.

EDIT: Just noticed when I came to reformat the SD card using SDFormatter there was 68.6 MB free of 1.10 GB! My card is 32 GB. Maybe that had something to do with the error?

Formatted the card in my camera and regained the full size. (I know that maybe later the card would be 'expanded')

Decided to load RaspBMC.

Loaded without any fuss.

It is not as obvious how to get to a command window as Raspbian was - it had a d/top icon and it's GUI was more recognisable as a windows type.

Raspbian is a customised version of debian, so has a 'normal' desktop.
RaspBMC is designed to have an XBMC 'front', with no access to a 'normal' desktop. I've seen a posting on one of the forums from someone who had installed X and wanted to get to and from the XBMC desktop - it looked somewhat involved, and the extra load on the system may make it less useful as a media centre (so I haven't even made a note of it).
You could try STM labs or XBMC forum if you want to chase it up.

I haven't noticed any problems, except some odd messages, from SDFormatter - but then I've only used 8GB cards. It has always returned to complete card set to FAT.

RaspBMC and Pidora are on the NOOBS 1.2 list

Having tried XBMC and researched other, I have decided to return to Raspbian.

I only needed two things when I installed it previously and it would do all I need:

1. Flash player
2. A 'live' remote desktop.

I am currently trying to get x11vnc working at lxde startup. So far, even if I start it manually the script stops without exiting properly. I am able to see the 'live' desktop on the Pi but if I close the command prompt the connection is lost. I am trying to find a way to end that script which has stopped after giving the connection details needed and some advice, correctly. It is running as it should so I am so close but so far :(

As for flash, I have seen that it is available.

EDIT: This time I have used and image of Raspbian wheezy rather than go the NOOBS way.

Removed tightvnc and dependencies because I need a live desktop. Removed x11vnc, it's dependencies and autostart entries because I cannot get it to autostart and even manually can't get the script to end cleanly. It is designed for command line use and maybe not suitable for noobies like me.

Looking at Vino which needs a GUI and may be more suitable.

Am I allowed to swear in this forum?

I wanted to make the entry:

sudo leafpad /etc/sudoers.d/vsrv.sh &

but instead made:

sudo leafpad /etc/sudoers.d/vsrvsh & (missed the bliddy '.')

Now I have a corrupt sudoers and cannot rename the file!

Looks like I will have to re-image and start again - but I am learning, even if it is only to not make typos!

I tried one method of auto-starting vino which didn't work and was attempting a more simple (hmm not with me around), method when I made the typo. I will have a cupper, cogitate and ask hwmbo if I can start again lol

Vino VNC server installed and working. Now have live desktop session.

I need to find out how to make it listen only to localhost though.

Flash is next.

Simple question: is there a version of this that will run all the catch-up players, ie, for BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and five?

Pi is on the back burner now so I cannot answer that. Perhaps you can tell me when I return from a 600 mile round trip to see a dying sister.

Back