Documentation Wiki

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
There is now a developing reference manual wiki* here: http://wiki.hummy.tv/ (also accessed by the "Wiki" tab at the top of the forum page) - I will start to populate it as mood and other pressures permit, and anyone who feels like helping is welcome to sign up and chip in.

If you prefer, rather than sign up as an author on the wiki, leave comments re errors and omissions and any suggestions here and the existing editing team will incorporate them.

* Wiki: on-line user-generated encyclopaedia in the manner of Wikipedia. Entries can be edited by signed-up users, and rely on crowd-sourcing to eliminate false information.

NOTE:- Due to some 'Unwanted Guests' in the WiKi, Write permission is now a two stage process:-
1) Create a User Account on the WiKi page
2) Send a personal Message to af123 or ezra pound on this site by clicking on 'Inbox' >> 'Start a New Conversation' requesting Write permission ( approved status)

Note:- As 'read only' access to the WiKi does not require the creation of a user account, any account holder that does not complete stage 2 with 7 days will have the account removed from the WiKi, NOTE:- It will still be possible to read the WiKi

Sorry to have to add more 'Red Tape' but we do need to protect the WiKi [Updated 11 Sep. 2012]
O o O o O o O o O o O o O o O o O o O o O o O o O o O o O o O o O o O o O o O o O o

Feel free to enter any comments on WiKi documentation in this thread

I have made a start on the Wiki with 'Getting Started', 'How -Tos', 'Available features', 'FAQs' etc. Feel free to Edit / Add to the pages, Thats' what it's there for.

Which of you two guys owns/runs the wiki? I'm thinking we could maybe do some sort of intergration between the two sites or something? drop me an email.

Thanks,

Michael

The wiki is now at http://wiki.hummy.tv/ and Michael has added a Wiki link to the tab bar at the top of each page on here.
Old links should still work and be redirected to the new ones.

Wiki pages only exist for the HDR Fox T2 at present as these have been imported from af123's site but seeing as it is now being hosted here on hummy.tv shouldn't the main page just contain links to sub pages for the various Humax models, to allow for future wikis on these other models ?

Seems logical.

Now the Wiki has moved, what do we have to do about registration? Are we not already registered on hummy.tv?

It hasn't actually moved and is still hosted on hummypkg, it just has a nicer address now to appear more unified with hummy.tv and there are more links between the two sites.

I imagine it will evolve into a more complete Humax resource and maybe move away from being completely focused on the customised firmware.

af123, Hasn't the move / re-name of the wiki effectively lost a wiki dedicated to your 'Modified' software? It now appears to be for any Humax Topic which I think is a shame as it will get diluted with anything and everything, Maybe we need two seperate wikis

I see no reason there shouldn't be subsections of the wiki - but where will be the enthusiasm to write any subsections other than the MSP? Writing a subsection for the standard HDR-FOX T2 would be tantamount to rewriting the manual - not that it couldn't do with rewriting, but I don't see as anybody would be willing to spend the time.

I also wonder whether it will do much good? It baffles me that we still get basic questions about getting up and running when the information is already easily available. I don't mind 'not understood', it's 'not read' that disappoints me after all the work put in.

af123, Hasn't the move / re-name of the wiki effectively lost a wiki dedicated to your 'Modified' software? It now appears to be for any Humax Topic which I think is a shame as it will get diluted with anything and everything, Maybe we need two seperate wikis

I think it will largely remain focused on the modified firmware, especially since we're writing it, but it doesn't hurt to have other articles on there too that we can refer people to. We can always add a new front page that links to two different indices if necessary, keeping the modified software stuff together.

I can't take any credit, as usual all I have done is collate and prod. My contributions have been superceded.

Can we standardise on abbreviations and terms in the wiki? If the Collective don't like my suggestions I don't mind standardising on some others - as long as we are consistent.

Added Series Recording Failure Work Around HERE in a new wiki page called Fixes / Work arounds for Known Bugs, Together with a few other 'Tips'

I have two requests for the wiki:
1. Screenshots of the custom portal would be excellent to see.
2. Release dates of the custom firmware versions, it would help me and others to work out if their box is up to date without needing to look up the installed version etc.

Truly amazing work on here!

Back