Edit History

I don't see how I would gain any more or less than anyone else from an edit limit
It's not hard to see that this change would stop BH's Wiki-in-the-forum articles such as "Things Every Owner..." and such like dead in their tracks.
Seeing as your Wiki and his articles seem to compete, this is obviously a change you would support.

There, I've had to spell it out for you.

Edit: Shock horror, I've edited in the link 3 hours later.

I agree that it would be better to have some form of indicator (last edited tag?) rather than blocking change.
Somebody reading a uncorrected entry in the future could be mislead by an inaccurate statement.

People will pick up malicious edits soon enough and comment.
Why not just strike through that which needs to be edited?

Blar blar

Sounds reasonable, except strike through is not supported on all devices (e.g. iPad, iPhone) when using Tapatalk app.

It's not hard to see that this change would stop BH's Wiki-in-the-forum articles such as "Things Every Owner..." and such like dead in their tracks. Seeing as your Wiki and his articles seem to compete, this is obviously a change you would support.
There, I've had to spell it out for you.
Edit: Shock horror, I've edited in the link 3 hours later.
It isn't my WiKi it is contributed to by lots of users, as a matter of fact the last four edits to the WiKi were made by you, how often to you get to edit BH's posts?

As BH is the only person to edit his threads, he would still be free to re-edit them if the earlier suggestion was implemented, where you are allow to re-edit until someone else posts in that thread, he would still be free to do what he is doing now, nothing would change

as a matter of fact the last four edits to the WiKi were made by you
It was really only effectively one edit. I was misled for at least one of the others, as you know, and the other two were trivial if I remember correctly (I haven't checked).
As BH in the only person to edit his threads, he would still be free to re-edit them if the earlier suggestion was implemented, where you are allow to re-edit until someone else posts in that thread, he would still be free to do what he is doing now, nothing would change
What's to stop someone deliberately posting in a thread just to stop the originator from editing it?
It's a kind of DoS attack.

It was really only effectively one edit. I was misled for at least one of the others, as you know, and the other two were trivial if I remember correctly (I haven't checked).

What's to stop someone deliberately posting in a thread just to stop the originator from editing it?
It's a kind of DoS attack.
There is a simple answer to that, BH simply has the threads locked, so that no-one can post in them, like his locked thread HERE

Why all this fuss about editing in public forum topics when hardly anybody raised an eyebrow about editing in private conversation posts? Does nobody else see the inconsistency here?

I was misled for at least one of the others
That was not deliberate as you well know, and simply a consequence of post refinement - if anybody wants me to stop posting because my posts will be full of iOS stupid auto-corrections, mis-wordings that would otherwise be corrected in afterthought, errors of detail corrected after immediate checking, and improvements to reflect later additional knowledge... go ahead and freeze editing.

Thread locking is used because the thread is not there to attract spurious conversational posts - if anybody really needs to comment on the content there is no difficulty referring to it in a new topic (or existing one), and I'm sure they would have done if sufficiently driven. I only recall one person expressing any kind of indignation about them, we know who that is. The consequence of thread locking is that I can't edit my own post, so if there is sufficient reason to do so I have to apply to the mods to unlock it or edit it for me.

As I invariably use iPad to access this forum I often find that the auto correct!!! Feature makes a mess of what I intended to say.

Hence the need to go back and rectify. I can't guarantee to spot it quickly.

Incidentally, a few weeks ago I posted several items about DLNA and only realised much later that I had typed DNLA by mistake. Was I wrong to go back and try to correct them all, even if it was only to stop people thinking I was a complete idiot!

I don't think anyone disagrees that it's nice to be able to correct silly mistakes, but wholesale reworking of posts can produce confusing results regardless of how well meaning they may be. The problem is for a 'lock' policy to distinguish between them. The only one that could realistically work in practice would involve some extra work for the moderators/admin to unlock on request.

I have seen some forum styles that don't allow edits of posts, but do allow additions - a variant on the change logging suggested above. That would answer most of the objections to locking that have been raised but I don't suppose that is available on this forum's current software.

Although guilty of it myself the answer to typos and auto-correct errors is of course to check/preview carefully before pressing the Post button. I do rely on the post post edit ability to an extent, but if it wasn't there I'd certainly take more care. And we could always turn off auto-correct.

I am not particularly in favour of imposing a time limit on editing posts, but feel that there is very little point in editing a post when there have been further replies to the thread. Many people will be unaware of the changes to a post that they have previously read, unless there is a subsequent post to inform them that an earlier post has been edited.

Some other forums do have a time limit on post editing, "My Humax forum" is one, and AVforums used to be one, but now does not seem to be.

I think that we are currently running xenforo version 1.1.5, I have asked Michael if he can upgrade to version 1.3.0, this has the ability to log the edit history of posts.

It would be nice if the software had the facility of an "Edited" flash as well as a "New" flash, but I guess that would have huge implications for the database, depending on how it is currently written. Then "What's New" could show you which posts have been added or edited since you last read.

While we are talking about the Forum itself. Is there any way I can stop the FreeSat, S1000, etc. topics from showing up in my watched threads?
I do not have any satellite boxes so have no interest in following related discussions.
I can't count how often I have got halfway through an updated topic before realising that it applies to FreeSat not Freeview boxes.

That iOS has no capability of strike through. You will be telling me next that you can't use BB code either.

It's not hard to see that this change would stop BH's Wiki-in-the-forum articles such as "Things Every Owner..."
Unless BH was given admin rights to update all posts. Obviously BH is the kind of person who would not intentionally abuse this but to ensure there was no accidental abuse prpr and Ezra Pound could also be given full admin rights to change any contentious updates back to the original.

Back