Failed Recording of New BBC Four HD Channel

I have a slightly different problem which may be related or not - any thoughts?

I do not have BBC4 HD on my local transmitter (Hannington) but last night set up an AR on BBC3 HD for the first time, of the Bluestone 42 Xmas Special. I ended up with a failed recording of zero length, but due to "unable to track programme". The file was only a few kB in size, so it didn't record anything.

I have an older style HDR with 1.02.32 and CF 2.20.

Merry Xmas all,

Peter

I do not have BBC4 HD on my local transmitter (Hannington) but last night set up an AR on BBC3 HD for the first time, of the Bluestone 42 Xmas Special. I ended up with a failed recording of zero length, but due to "unable to track programme". The file was only a few kB in size, so it didn't record anything.

I have an older style HDR with 1.02.32 and CF 2.20.

"Unable to track" is an Accurare Recording problem. Do you have muxes tuned from multiple transmitters?

The BBC3HD and BBC4HD recording problem effects appear to be peculiar to those channels, so far. The source of the problem is unknown but not linked to loss of signal/absence of information for AR purposes.

I think the BBC has changed the schedule. My Tvonics has been showing Bluestone 42 on Thursday 26th at 22:00 for some days even though my Radio Times has Bad Education at that Date/Time. Has your box re-scheduled the recording?

During my BBC3HD testing the BBC replaced a programme following the one I was recording and that made my recording to carry on for an extra 53 minutes.

Martin

Edited because I left out some information.

This is the first mention of "Unable to track" I have seen in this entire discussion, so it may be a different problem. Hence my suggestion about the usual multiple transmitters causing this.

Hi and thank you for the comments.

In response to the various questions, no I do not have multiple transmitters. I only have muxes from Hannington.

I have checked the scheduled events and do not have the Bluestone recording rescheduled. To be fair I only set that recording a day or two ago and was unaware that it had moved from the 26th. I just selected it from the EPG and set it to record as normal. I have set up a number of BBC3 HD recordings tonight and will see if those succeed or not.

Cheers,

Peter

I assume you mean "to the 26th" rather than "from the 26th"

Perhaps the experts can confirm this but I think the EPG is not refreshed regularly and changes are missed. Although I thought it did refresh for 24 hours ahead of current time. And certainly when it powers up to look for the programme to be recorded.

I recommend, for the moment anyway, that any BBC3 or BBC4 programme you really want you record them on the SD channels.

Martin

I assume you mean "to the 26th" rather than "from the 26th"

Perhaps the experts can confirm this but I think the EPG is not refreshed regularly and changes are missed. Although I thought it did refresh for 24 hours ahead of current time. And certainly when it powers up to look for the programme to be recorded.

I recommend, for the moment anyway, that any BBC3 or BBC4 programme you really want you record them on the SD channels.

Martin

The situation with EPG refreshes is very different depending on whether AR is used or not. If there is no AR it is only refreshed when the box is on normally to watched TV, padding timed recordings never updated the EPG. Hence needing an on/off timer and/or a reminder in the schedule to ensure the EPG is updated if you are going to be away for more than a week and run the box with padding from standby.

Hi,

It sounds as if it might be just a problem with this particular recording then. I have just twigged that this programme has moved TO the 26th (thanks Martin). The TV EPG confirms this. Strange that the Humax EPG wasn't updated - I have a daily reminder set in the schedule for just this purpose. I'll reset this recording for the 26th and try a few other HD recordings to see if I have a problem on BBC3.

Cheers,

Peter

I can report that a recording on CBBC HD (Deadly Pole to Pole) failed (less than 30 secs), so it looks as if the problem is on that channel as well.

Peter

Bluestone must have been moved late on. Mine failed with unable to track even though it was only set up that morning (and on SD). As I noticed it before midnight I was able to scroll back along the EPG and see that the schedule had been changed. It is (re)scheduled for 26th and I think 28th as well, but I had to set a new reservation.

So it was not the problem with BBC3/4 HD, just a normal foul-up :)

Perhaps the experts can confirm this but I think the EPG is not refreshed regularly and changes are missed.

I think the EPG was refreshed. My understanding of the problem (and it has happened before) is that when the programme/ID disappears from the scheduled slot the box looks through the EPG for where it has got moved to, assuming it has simply been shifted, and relatches to it. If it can't find it anywhere then it can't track it.

moosey : I can report that a recording on CBBC HD (Deadly Pole to Pole) failed (less than 30 secs), so it looks as if the problem is on that channel as well
BBC Four HD time shares a slot with CBeebies on the COM 7 MUX and BBC Three HD time shares a slot with CBBC HD on PSB3 MUX, so I think the pairs will pass / Fail in the same fashion

BBC Four HD time shares a slot with CBeebies on the COM 7 MUX and BBC Three HD time shares a slot with CBBC HD on PSB3 MUX, so I think the pairs will pass / Fail in the same fashion

It was previously stated that CBBC HD and CBeebies HD recorded fine and only BBC3 HD and BBC4 HD had the problem. But it makes a lot more sense if they all have the same issue.

It was previously stated that CBBC HD and CBeebies HD recorded fine and only BBC3 HD and BBC4 HD had the problem. But it makes a lot more sense if they all have the same issue.
I consistently still get these failures with CBBC HD on my 1.02.20, but not on my 1.03.06. The 1.03.06 did originally also consistently fail for CBBC but changed to working 100% from about the 17th/18th December.

Is something corrupting the creation of the .nts sidecar file on these recordings? I had a 0 minute recording on a padded program from BBC3HD and when I checked the programme it had an nts file of 0bytes . The program played o.k. on another networked HDR using media>storage>network and was 1 hour 17 minutes long.

Indeed, that is why I posted the report. However, it doesn't seem consistent as I set a number of AR recordings overnight on BBC3 HD and all are reporting the correct duration!

Merry Xmas,

Peter

Recording Family Guy BBC Three HD last night with padding, CF, Oxford transmitter - resulted in 1GB file but listed as 0 sec recording with lightning flash.

Will return to recording SD on BBC 3 until issue resolved.

Happy Christmas

Edit: will have to re-edit later with further additional details as requested earlier in thread...

I don't see why recording the new HD channels is seen as so dangerous. When the fault occurs it is easy to fix by decrypting the recording and deleting the sidecar files.

I don't see why recording the new HD channels is seen as so dangerous. When the fault occurs it is easy to fix by decrypting the recording and deleting the sidecar files.
There is nothing even slightly dangerous about recording the new HD channels. Not everyone has the necessary custom firmware, or Foxy utility at their disposal to easily fix the recordings.

That's all well and good for you and me, but what about the thousands of non-technical users that don't have CF installed? They have a right for their expensive PVR to successfully record programmes without having to install this, that and the other.

AFAIK, no one has 'admitted' guilt and no mention from Humax Towers about a fix.

Back