Failed recording which should not have failed or should it?

mihaid

Am I correct that at 9.03.12 the box should have started recording ITVHD selfridge which started at 9.00.00. see below extract

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 39
You mean 21:03:12 on 02/02/2014? How are we supposed to know from that??

Presuming you had it set to record, what was the outcome? Nothing at all or a "failed to track"?

I disagree, the picture shows that nothing started recording at the time you specify, but does not confirm that anything was supposed to start recording.

"failed to track" - have you tried playing it anyway? See Things Every... (click) section 3, and follow the link to more discussion where you will find "recording priorities".

Am I correct that at 9.03.12 the box should have started recording ITVHD selfridge which started at 9.00.00. see below extract

Ok it should have said 9.03.12 the box should have started recording ITVHD selfridge which started at 9.00.00 and was scheduled to record and failed to record. Happy? If you want to help, do so, otherwise please pass over.
The reason the picture shows nothing started at 9.00.00 is because: first, the log does not show when sthing started, second Selfridge did not start since it failed to track.
Anyone with a little sense had more than enough info to help if they knew the reason.
And yes I have tried to play it, no luck.

I had read the suggested paragraphs and according to that info it should have started recording ITVhd when BBC2HD stopped at 21.03 thence my original post.

Forgive me for pointing out the obvious, but it looks to me like the Humax was already recording two items in the same time slot, so if your failed recording actually started at say 21:03:36 then neither tuner would be free to record it

2-recordings.jpg

Anyone with a little sense had more than enough info to help if they knew the reason.
That's just silly. You want information, don't make people guess the details. Besides, the single most common reason for something not working is somebody doing something daft.

As you know, there are many things which can get in the way of an AR recording, and the reason some people refuse to use AR at all.

Forgive me for pointing out the obvious, but it looks to me like the Humax that was already recording two items in the same time slot, so if your failed recording actually started at say 21:03:36 then neither tuner would be free to record it
Those were the recording end times. All three events are on the same mux anyway. The recording should have commenced when the first recording terminated at 21:03:12, but maybe the flag wasn't present or something.

Forgive me for pointing out the obvious, but it looks to me like the Humax was already recording two items in the same time slot, so if your failed recording actually started at say 21:03:36 then neither tuner would be free to record it
Well; Say first tuner records bbc1 stuff20.00 to 21.00 to 22.00
second tuner records 20.00 to 21.03 at this point the because the ITV recording 21.00 to 22.00 the hummy should have been polling the starter signal issued by ITV until 21.30 per the instructions BH reffered me to. And start recording ITV. What does not make sense?

So it would seem that ITV was not transmitting the starting flag/signal 4-5 minutes after the actual start of the program, when my hummy was free to process it.

All three events are on the same mux anyway.
The Humax wont record 3 programmes at the same time even if they are on the same MUX, however, I had not noticed that the log shows the end times. The reason for the failed recording was probably that the Accurate Recording flag 'start flag' was sent before 21:03:12 so that when a tuner was free it waited for a start flag that had already been sent
So it would seem that ITV was not transmitting the starting flag/signal 4-5 minutes after the actual start of the program, when my hummy was free to process it.
The start flag is a single event as far as I know, I don't think it gets sent repeatedly, so if the Humax misses it, there is no second chance

Yeah, but the thing is - I think it's not actually a "start" flag rather a "programme ID" status which is present throughout the programme. The scheduled recording should have noticed the programme in progress and recorded it, albeit with a "failed to track" error and missing the start. The AR recording then terminates when the programme ID changes to the next programme.

The Humax wont record 3 programmes at the same time even if they are on the same MUX
Meaning that it only needs one tuner.

Yeah, but the thing is - I think it's not actually a "start" flag rather a "programme ID" status which is present throughout the programme. The scheduled recording should have noticed the programme in progress and recorded it, albeit with a "failed to track" error and missing the start. The AR recording then terminates when the programme ID changes to the next programme.

And that would be interesting to know what it is based on. According to the things.... up to 30 minutes after the start of the program the hummy should have noticed Selfridge and start recording it.

As an aside, I just noticed that the email sent by the CF does not mention this failed recording. It only mentions the Selfridge instance from one week ago, when it failed because of three simultaneous recordings, as it was entitled to do.

it's not actually a "start" flag rather a "programme ID" status which is present throughout the programme.
Agree.

All three events are on the same mux anyway.
Not necessarily.
The more recent versions of the HDR-FOX T2 software do help with auto-tuning, but for local channels will always still be stored with the additionl varients spread out in the 800/1000s.
If I auto-tune on 1.0232 (or later) I get 1 BBC1 HD, 1 BBC2 HD and 3 ITV HDs.
If I then accidently select one of the other ITV HD it would fail to record with "unable to track" and not record any of it.

Edit 03/02/2014: It turns out that the Humax does manage duplicate channels better when they are 'local'. I.e. What I have posted is not always correct.

The more recent versions of the HDR-FOX T2 software do help with auto-tuning, but for local channels will always still be stored with the additionl varients spread out in the 800/1000s.
That's not my problem, I have tuned only the channels for my region manually.

And that would be interesting to know what it is based on.
The ETSI Spec for Digital Video Broadcasting, (LINK HERE page 99) does show that the TVA_id_descriptor can be sent continuously throughout the programme if the broadcaster decides to use it, however we don't now how the Humax would use this info. if/when it is sent

Well, I could not find on page 101 a reference to this entry in Things every..... "the programme start marker did not occur while the Humax was watching for it (from 15 minutes prior to the nominal EPG time to 30 minutes or more after)."

Also it would be interesting to know if anyone had a recording failed to track which actually recorded on the ITVHD channel. If they had, it would be useful to know how long after the start of the program the hummy started recording the "delayed" ITV program because it found the marker/flag/Crid.

I have no idea what the text in 'Things . . .' is based, but the document above is the DVB spec. page 101 referred to version 1.4.1 I have since found version 1.5.1 so the page number has been changed to 99 above

And that would be interesting to know what it is based on. According to the things.... up to 30 minutes after the start of the program the hummy should have noticed Selfridge and start recording it.
af123 knows all about it because that's how the bookmarks get set to the start and end of programmes within non-AR recordings (arbookmarks). These things do not get plucked out of thin air, they are all distilled from the accumulated knowledge base, but as time goes on it becomes more difficult to remember where they came from (google to the rescue!).

The AR start window appears to depend on the target length of the recording, but early experiments did show that if the programme ID does not show up within a particular window of the expected start time the Humax would give up "failed to track" with no recording made.

Perhaps this is an example of EP's flags not necessarily being broadcast throughout the programme. I'm sure a recording file could be analysed to see if in fact they were not.

Back