Failed update of Webif - now only getting "500 Internal Server Error"

David White

I noted that there were some upgrades to the packages on my HDR-Fox T2 and I picked the Web-if to do first. I was on 1.4.? and was upgrading to 1.5.

The install proceeded, the log showed some things being uninstalled and then the new package dowloaded and ran. In the log window I saw that it failed to load something and now I get the 500 Internal server error and cannot get into the box. It think the failed package was one of the ones that was also on the upgrade list. Not sure if I should have done the webif last.

I tried power cycling the box but am getting the same results.

Any suggestions on how to fix this are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I trawled the forums and have tried the following:
1. I installed telnet on my desktop and then logged into the humax and got the tenet menu.
2. I ran upgrade to upgrade all packages and it told me

The following upgrades are available:

sqlite3 - 3.27.2 - 3.41.1-2
tmenu - 1.22 - 1.24
jim-xconv - 1.0.0 - 1.0.1
lighttpd - 1.4.53-1 - 1.4.53-2
stripts - 1.4.5 - 1.4.6-1
libxconv - 1.0.3 - 1.0.4
webif-channelicons - 1.1.27 - 1.1.28
virtual-disk2 - 2.0-2 - 2.0-5
recmon - 2.2.1-1 - 2.2.1-2

I ran the upgrade command and it had a few errors:

Upgrading virtual-disk2 on root from 2.0-2 to 2.0-5...
Downloading xxxx hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/virtual-disk2_2.0-5_mipsel.opk.
This package can not be installed on this version of CF.

At the end I got. the following

Collected errors:
  • pkg_run_script: package "virtual-disk2" preinst script returned status 1.
  • preinst_configure: Aborting installation of virtual-disk2.

3. Back at the telnet menu I then ran fixweb which returned:

Removing package webif from root...
Installing webif (1.5.1-5) to root...
Downloading xxx hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/webif_1.5.1-5_mipsel.opk.
Configuring webif.
/mod/bin/jimsh: can't load library 'libutil.so.0'

Following this procedure I still get the 500 Internal server error. I tried rebooting the machine but still have the server error.

I went into the command line interface and tried to list the error log but it would not display and I get:
humax# cat /var/log/webif-error.log

I tried to get the version information
humax# version

A common theme seems to be that it cannot load a library libutil.so

What else should I try?

(I had to xxx some http in the commands as I am not allowed to post external links)

This package can not be installed on this version of CF.
You need to fix the first error first. Download and install the latest version of CF, which is currently 1.03.12 mod 3.13

Then there is a whole thread about the libutil problem. We still don't know why it happens.
After that, you can try fixweb if necessary.

Thanks prpr. I did have FW 1.03.12 but it must have been an earlier mod. The software is so stable I had not updated it in a long while. Qdos to the developers!

I installed the mod 3 version from April 2017 and everything is back to normal. It even kept my recording schedule.

Whatever was broken got fixed. I was able to do the update of virtual disk2 from the Web-if and it all appears to work. I really appreciate your assistance.

The software is so stable I had not updated it in a long while.
And you're surprised it broke? The packages (particularly the package called webif!) get tweaked from time to time, but tweaks may rely on the current version of the custom firmware. All is well until something goes awry and you try reinstalling a package, but then you get the latest version of the package which might not play nicely with an outdated CF.

I installed the mod 3 version from April 2017
We refer to version numbers not dates. I presume you mean 3.13.

The same revision of custom firmware can be applied to the different versions of Humax firmware, because each of the Humax releases has compromises. Therefore you could have 1.02.20 with CF 3.13 just the same. At one time we installed the CF over a base firmware, but now they are issued rolled into one and you just take your pick.

It even kept my recording schedule.
That should not be a surprise. Reinstalling firmware does not affect user settings etc, and never has. Don't use that as an excuse not to keep up to date.

Perhaps you meant "kudos"!
Beat me to it.

Back