Failing tuner?

Not yet.
South West sounds like Mendip. Ridge Hill is quite a lot closer according to my quick look at the map. If you can get Ridge Hill, you will likely have to retune to the main 6 MUXs. But if you do, do it manually.
Can you point it West? Clue: the sun is south at about midday.

OOPs. Thanks for the correction. So it won't be co-channel interference then?
I wonder on which Mux's OP has COM 7 & 8? Can't be assed to wade through 6 pages of posts on the off chance that he has already told us.

Er, no. Mendip is on 36 and 35 respectively at the moment.
From where do you get the info without having a postcode by just 'plugging in' the transmitter name? I get mine from ukfree, but am aware that it is sometimes (frequently?) wrong. I have yet to find the equivalent that you can use without postcode.

What's wrong with postcodes? In the absence of a point and click way to get a postcode on a map (which I'm sure will come, if it hasn't already), I google for businesses and public services in the area of interest and use a postcode from the address hits.

In post 124 Trev was asking "I wonder on which Mux's OP has COM 7 & 8?"
Change to channel 107 on the Humax then press Menu button>Settings>System>Signal detection. This will report the channel number of the multiplex for COM7; repeat for channel 106 to get the channel number of COM8.

In the absence of a point and click way to get a postcode on a map ... I google for businesses and public services in the area of interest and use a postcode from the address hits.
I just search "{name of town} postcode" and see what pops up - a hotel, golf course, or - as you say- business. Easy!

Change to channel 107 on the Humax then press Menu button>Settings>System>Signal detection. This will report the channel number of the multiplex for COM7; repeat for channel 106 to get the channel number of COM8.
I did this earlier in this thread (post 99) and got these results:
on BBC News HD:
Ch55 746000Khz 8MHz 32K 1/16 (DBD-T2)
Strength: About 50%
Quality: 5% - 40%

I can do it again this evening when I'm home.

I'm not sure getting the UHF channel numbers is going to help. pADDYB's info gives COM7 on UHF 55. According to the digitalUK link this could be Ridge Hill or Sutton Coldfield - both of which have COM8 on UHF 56. Earlier (post #4) the OP indicated that BBC1 HD was on UHF 22. => Ridge Hill.
Do we know whether BBC4 HD is watchable? COM7 & COM8 have (nearly) the same power, so that might indicate something.

I'm not sure getting the UHF channel numbers is going to help. pADDYB's info gives COM7 on UHF 55. According to the digitalUK link this could be Ridge Hill or Sutton Coldfield - both of which have COM8 on UHF 56. Earlier (post #4) the OP indicated that BBC1 HD was on UHF 22. => Ridge Hill.
Do we know whether BBC4 HD is watchable? COM7 & COM8 have (nearly) the same power, so that might indicate something.
No BBC4 HD is not watchable.

From where do you get the info without having a postcode by just 'plugging in' the transmitter name?
Well for Mendip, I just look at one of my own boxes! For others, currently I look at my 700 MHz clearance spreadsheet. Or the Ofcom Complete DTT Frequency plan spreadsheet. Or whatever is handy...
I get mine from ukfree
:speechless: :cry: :sick: :frantic:

I did this earlier in this thread (post 99) and got these results:
on BBC News HD:
Strength: About 50%
Quality: 5% - 40%

I can do it again this evening when I'm home.
Just did this again on BBC News HD (107)
Strength: About 50-55% (occasional dropping to 0%)
Quality: Fluctuating widely, but most of the time 5-10%

Similar results on BBC4 HD (106)

Well for Mendip, I just look at one of my own boxes! For others, currently I look at my 700 MHz clearance spreadsheet. Or the Ofcom Complete DTT Frequency plan spreadsheet. Or whatever is handy...
Fine, but Hastings is my local, so I can easily find them as I know my postcode, but Mendip is a bit more of a challenge.

I give in.

So it looks like paddy has his aerial pointing SW at Mendip, but the set is tuned to Com 7 CH 55 Ridge Hill?
I wonder which MPX he has COM 8 tuned to.
Just did this again on BBC News HD (107)
Strength: About 50-55% (occasional dropping to 0%)
Quality: Fluctuating widely, but most of the time 5-10%

Similar results on BBC4 HD (106)
Give us the results Specifically Ch number for BBC 4 HD.
BBC News HD is on COM 7 and BBC4 HD (106) is on COM 8.

Do the same for BBC one (SD) (1) and ITV (SD) (3) Quest (37) Dave (12) Yesterday (19) so that we can see what your set is tuned to. Just the channel numbers, not the rest of the dross.

So it looks like paddy has his aerial pointing SW at Mendip, but the set is tuned to Com 7 CH 55 Ridge Hill?
I wonder which MPX he has COM 8 tuned to.
Give us the results Specifically Ch number for BBC 4 HD.
BBC News HD is on COM 7 and BBC4 HD (106) is on COM 8.

Do the same for BBC one (SD) (1) and ITV (SD) (3) Quest (37) Dave (12) Yesterday (19) so that we can see what your set is tuned to. Just the channel numbers, not the rest of the dross.
BBC1 SD 28
ITV SD 29
Quest 21
Dave 24
Yesterday 27
BBC 4 HD 56
BBC News HD 55

Last edited:
Back