Failing tuner?

Tony - I take your point - I usually leave the tuner on ch 100 Freeview, since I was once advised to use a channel with the least amount of changes throughout the day, so as not to upset recording of other channels. First time anyone's highlighted this possible reason, so I will investigate further if this has any bearing on my problem. The instance above in post #79 - out of interest - was Channel 4 (PSB2) and BBC2 (PSB1) and ch 100 Freeview is on PSB2 - no conflict occurred, but I cannot be 100% sure the Humax was 'viewing' ch 100 at the time. So I will do some more testing. Thanks for that

If watching a programme and the T2 wants to make 2 other recordings on different muxes it puts up a message warning that the watched channel will be changed and sits there a while to let you decide to accept the change or cancel the imminent recording. I would 'assume' (never a great idea) that if this happened on an unattended system that's always on it would eventually flip the channel to allow the recording to happen but I wonder how effectively the prompt delay and the padding settings would interact?

If the FOX-T2 is anything like the 2000T then it pops up a message telling you that it is going to switch the live channel to the "timer channel" in 30s. If you don't cancel this - thus cancelling the new recording - it does what it says. I get the impression that the message pops up 30s before the timer is required - I've not done a reliable check - so I wouldn't expect any fouling up of the padding.

OP here, been away for a while, but keen to sort this out before Christmas if possible.

I spoke to the building managers and as predicted they are not prepared to do anything about this unless they have complaints from more occupants.

Rather than call out an aerial installer (which would be expensive and could get complicated as though I own my flat, I don’t own the roof or communal aerial) I think I might have a go at this myself. I live on the top floor of a three floor block. I have a balcony, and adjacent to it is a satellite dish which was left behind by the previous occupants. My plan would be to install a new aerial using the mounting pole and the existing coax cable, which would mean that I will not have to drill any holes to run new cables into the flat. Most of the aerials on nearby building seem to point in the direction away from my balcony (the one on our roof is slightly out of align with this!), so I think I will have good line a sight to Ridge Hill.

Does this sound doable for someone who has no experience at this sort of thing?

Also, just wondering what type of aerial to order. A traditional aerial like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Outdoor-Digital-SLx-27887K4-Filtered/dp/B00D76GPXK/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1545225733&sr=1-9&keywords=tv+aerial
Or:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TriStar-Digital-Tri-Fold-Assembly-27900KTR/dp/B00VIEBZTW/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Or something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Outdoor-SLx-27895K4-Digidome-Freeview/dp/B00D76GSBE/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1545226690&sr=1-11&keywords=tv+aerial
or
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Outdoor-Receiver-Freeview-Technology-Waterproof-White/dp/B01HD653WS/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1545226740&sr=1-12&keywords=tv+aerial

Looking at the location of the other transmitters, as the new aerial will be on the side of the building, not the roof, the only other transmitter mentioned here that it would have clear sight of is Mendip.

Will the Tri Star aerial do the job? It's the only one that I can get delivered tomorrow, so I can install on Friday.

The problem is that nowhere I can see is the frequency range specified. Another advert for ostensibly the same thing claims 470-790MHz (channels 21-60), which is wideband and therefore lower gain than a similar antenna designed for a narrower bandwidth - but you require 21-56 anyway so wideband should suit you best.

However, considering the price (including discount!), I think it's worth a punt.

I notice Ridge Hill is at its final configuration, whereas Mendip (mine) is due a long series of retune events during next year. That means having set it up and seen the results, that's what you should have long term.

Looking at the location of the other transmitters, as the new aerial will be on the side of the building, not the roof, the only other transmitter mentioned here that it would have clear sight of is Mendip.
Mendip doesn't look great at the moment although it will improve during 2019. In post #1 you thought you would have a good line of sight to Ridge Hill; is that not the case?
Will the Tri Star aerial do the job? It's the only one that I can get delivered tomorrow, so I can install on Friday.
I am not an expert on aerials; my guess is that it probably wouldn't do very well for the marginal signal that Mendip provides at the moment.

Thanks both. I've ordered the Tri Star, should arrive tomorrow and should have some time on Friday to try installing it.

I'll be aiming for Ridge Hill. I only mentioned Mendip in case that would be a better option for, but sounds like Ridge Hill is the way to go.

I've noticed that the satellite dish has three wires coming out of it, and there are two satellite connectors coming into the flat. I think they had a Sky + box and needed a cable for each tuner? Not sure where the third cable goes!

Last edited:
Yes, each satellite tuner needs a separate feed, because each has to communicate with the LNB. See Glossary (click), entry LNB.

At 90km, Mendip sounds too distant to me (unless that were the only option). As I said, Mendip is scheduled for a series of retune events.

I counted three separate dates on which frequencies change - that seems a lot to me! tunefix-update won't handle them all (not for me anyway).

Aerial has arrived, will try it tomorrow., but have another problem now which I will start a new thread on.

New aerial actually slightly worse than existing one! Frequency 470-790. Forward gain 13dBi. Is it worth trying another one? Can you saend me an Amazon link to one that might work better?

Actually Argos might be a better option as I can pick one up tomorrow.
https://www.argos.co.uk/search/tv-aerial/category:33028861/aerial-type:outdoor-aerials/

Also, should mention that the TV tuner seems to work fine with the new aerial. With the failed recordings issue I mentioned in thread I started yesterday
https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/failed-recordings.9048/

I'm wondering if I need to think about getting a new Hummy or new something else rather than an aerial? I'm also getting the green screen (HDMI handshake?) thing whenever I leave the box unattended for a few days.

Back