Failing tuner?

Over the weekend, I noticed that there were very occasional (but bad) dropouts on BBC NEWS HD using my TV tuner, so the problem isn't entirely restricted to the Humax.

I think I'll speak to the property managers and see if they can get the aerial looked at again. It would help if I go in armed with as much technical knowledge as possible, so could somebody confirm that the issue is with the COM 7&8 channels, which have moved to Transponders 746000 and 754000 from (previous transponders?) and may be out of band with our aerial? I hope that blinding them with science a bit will stop them fobbing me off with "well everybody else's is alright"!

Don't use the expression 'transponder' and frequency, that's satellite speak.
Terrestrial TV is usually spoken about by the term 'UHF Channel' followed by the channel number i.e. CH55 & 56.

Well, I have two HDR-T2's and now both are only recording one thing at a time - if there is the slightest overlap, the second programme only starts when the first has finished. I use manual padding as I said before, and no changes to settings have taken place to my knowledge. I will try using AR instead but I don't think it will change anything. Has anyone any ideas as to what could be causing this ? Thanks

Last edited:
Are the programmes in question on the same service? If so, that is expected behaviour. The HDR-FOX will not record more than one stream from any one service (including to the timeshift buffer). That's no problem using AR, but using auto-padding results in consecutive programmes being terminated/started at their scheduled time (not the AR time).

More info: Things Every... (click) section 3, and follow the link to further discussion.

Thanks for your response Black Hole, I first noticed it with two programmes in different channels : E4 on Channel 54 and Talking Pictures on Channel 52 recorded in mid-October while I was away on holiday. I am about to do a series of tests to tie down precisely what is happening, but I stress that prior to this Autumn, I have never had this problem. I also keep a record of software updates to the boxes, so I can see if anything there ties in as well. I will report back with my findings - are there any Diagnostic reports that would help shed light on the problem ?

Run a signal check on the individual tuners via the hidden service menu. That will tell you whether you really have a problem. Things Every... (click) section 9.

I actually did that a couple of weeks ago and reported it in an earlier post on this thread which I joined wondering if the tuners were the problem - "Nov 7th : I have just tried that and both tuners are showing the same results I reported above (ie 50-70% strength and 100% quality) so presumably that means both tuners are working." - I am on Mendip transmitter and I gather those results for being in Melksham, are normal.

Fair enough - I can't spend time looking back through history, and memory for detail is failing.

The problems you report, assuming you have checked all the caveats about auto-padding, can only reasonably be explained if the unit has fallen back to single-tuner mode. Getting positive results from both tuners in the hidden service test seems to rule that out. Nothing similar has been reported that might implicate CF etc. It seems odd the two units would suffer the same problem simultaneously unless it was systematic.

I used to have major problems with recording reliability using AR in the early days, which few others experienced. The problems went away after a spontaneous factory reset / startup wizard.

OK - Thanks for that - when I've run the tests I talked about, I will try completely resetting them to see if that cures the problem - I'll post my findings.

E4 on Channel 54 and Talking Pictures on Channel 52
According to my EPG, Ch 52 does not exist and CH 54 is 5Select. E4 is on CH28 and Talking Pictures is not on the EPG.

What the hell are you talking about Trev? These are the UHF channel numbers for Mendip - not LCNs.

OK - Thanks for that - when I've run the tests I talked about, I will try completely resetting them to see if that cures the problem - I'll post my findings.

I have tested recordings on both Humax boxes, and I have to do more, but as a starter my Humax 2 box I'll call it, first recorded two simultaneous programmes from the same MUX/Channel perfectly. The second test was two programmes from the same MUX/Channel with a start time 10 mins apart. The first didn't record at all and the second recorded OK. The first was something from ITVBe+1 never recorded from before, and I just got a 0 bytes ts file - maybe a problem with the broadcaster ? So I set three more programmes to record at staggered 30 min intervals - the first started on time and recorded fine, but the other two did not start until the finish padding had elapsed on their respective previous recordings.

I then switched the box to AR and not manual padding and set 3 new recordings 30 mins apart. The first two started on time and recorded perfectly, but the second was actually running two minutes late, so does not conclusively prove it would not have been truncated ! The third did not record at all - all I got was an HMT file ! - That was from the Challenge channel - again not used before so I don't know if it's a broadcaster problem. So I am repeating this test later today.

A pdf doc is attached showing the audit trail for the above (well I was an accountant before I retired and had time to play with these recordings!)

I hope this hasn't been too long and boring, but this peculiarity seems to need exhaustive testing

Attachments

• Humax 2 Recording Tests.pdf
    724.8 KB · Views: 5
The first was something from ITVBe+1 never recorded from before, and I just got a 0 bytes ts file - maybe a problem with the broadcaster
I'm sure ITVBe+1 doesn't broadcast at 11:48. It appears that the EPG is faulty! ITVBe+1 is an LCN hogger and starts at 4am (on air for 1 or 2 hours?) and probably only shows shopping ads. So your Humax would have been trying to record a data channel at 11:48. That will give a zero byte .ts file. No problem there. Not so sure about the Challenge recording.

this peculiarity seems to need exhaustive testing
If you are going to do stuff like this, then at least use mainstream channels on the various PSB muxes.
e.g. BBC 1, ITV, BBC 1 HD will give you things from all 3 PSBs.

If you are going to do stuff like this, then at least use mainstream channels on the various PSB muxes.
e.g. BBC 1, ITV, BBC 1 HD will give you things from all 3 PSBs.
Yes I've realised I should stick to the main channels to do these kind of tests - it's just so frustrating when systems don't do what you feel they should. Why does everybody cut corners and make do with second best these days ? Sorry, time for a beer !

Anyway, back to the tests - I have done two more - one with three programmes of half an hour each running one after the after on different channels but using AR. All three started recording on time but ITN News - the last of the three - finished a few seconds early (no reason apparent but maybe the broadcast signals come from the main studio and not the regional one!). The second test this morning was two programmes where the second started while the first was still transmitting - both worked fine. My initial conclusion would be that AR works (on the whole) but manual padding on this box at least does not work properly. There is a file attached if you want more info, any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• Humax 2 Recording Tests (2).pdf
    318.8 KB · Views: 7
Back