[fan] More control over HDR fan

I'm not convinced that line 190 of the smartctl displays anything of use on the Humax, I don't think it's supported. Line 190 'Value' is always 100 - (line 194 'Value')

You will always get temperature stress on components unless they run 24/7, worst case, it could be, from standby in an unheated room at 15Dec C to say a fairly constant running temperature (with 'Fan') of 45Dec C, there will is still a 30Deg C swing in temperature after every overnight stand-by cycle

My three Western Digital HDDs fitted in my HDR's don't even have Line 900 'Value'..... listed at all so I suspect it is HDD specific.

I'm not convinced that line 190 of the smartctl displays anything of use on the Humax, I don't think it's supported. Line 190 'Value' is always 100 - (line 194 'Value')
You have repeated this claim countless times, yet never substantiated it. The fact is the Humax has nothing to do with it. The numbers come from the disk itself, as you are almost certainly well aware. If you put that disk in a computer and query the Smart stats., the numbers would be the same (all things being equal).
It is ridiculous to suggest the Humax doesn't support it, as if it's somehow making up the numbers that you see.
Here is one explanation:
Temperature Difference from 100 (Airflow Temperature) S.M.A.R.T. parameter indicates the temperature of the air inside the Seagate and Samsung hard disk housing. The value is equal to [100 – specified by manufacturer temperature °C], which allows setting the minimum threshold.

Package on its way up and should be available shortly.

fansettings.png

I can barely hear mine at 50% so I'll see how that changes HDD temperature this evening.

If you have humaxtv debugging enabled (diag debugtv) then you will see status messages in /tmp/humaxtv.log relating to the fan control.

Hi af123

I asked about the possibility controlling the fan sometime ago and at that time it was thought not to be possible.

So just wanted to say a big 'thank you' for the Fan Package.

It is ridiculous to suggest the Humax doesn't support it
I didn't say the Humax doesn't support it, I said the Humax doesn't get anything of use from it. What point are trying to make?, do you think every drive that reports this has failed?

Here is part of the Seagate Pipeline data sheet :-

pipeline.jpg

On my box it shows the current temperature as the "raw value" and a number derived from it as the "value". As with most of the entries it is when the "value" falls below the threshold that a failure indication is triggered.

Code:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022   067   036   045    Old_age   Always   In_the_past 33 (29 44 33 22)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   033   064   000    Old_age   Always       -       33 (0 16 0 0)

I didn't say the Humax doesn't support it
You did so - in post #41 above:
I'm not convinced that line 190 of the smartctl displays anything of use on the Humax, I don't think it's supported
You also said it here:
ID# 190 is not a problem, it is not supported on the Humax
And I've read it several other times, but I really can't be bothered to quote more examples. Don't try weaseling out of it.
I said the Humax doesn't get anything of use from it.
It doesn't get anything of any use from any other Smart attribute either by that argument.
What point are trying to make?
That your assertion is wrong.
do you think every drive that reports this has failed?
"Failed" is the wrong word. A "warning" has definitely been triggered though. If it hadn't been, then it wouldn't show up in the Smart data would it?
Or perhaps you think warnings don't matter and are there to be ignored, just because they don't fit with what YOU think, based on no real evidence?

I'm also updating the sysmon package to better reflect the fan states in the temperature graph.
Version 1.1.1 of Sysmon now displayes the fan on times correctly, however the 'Fan Off' legend may have to now say Fan Off / Minimum

HDD-Temp.png

"Failed" is the wrong word. A "warning" has definitely been triggered though. If it hadn't been, then it wouldn't show up in the Smart data would it?
Or perhaps you think warnings don't matter and are there to be ignored, just because they don't fit with what YOU think, based on no real evidence?
No 'real' warnings should not be ignored. But as this warning will be present on every HDR that reaches 56Deg C, how concerned do you think users should Be?
when-failed.png
Don't try weaselling out of it :)

I asked about the possibility controlling the fan sometime ago and at that time it was thought not to be possible. So just wanted to say a big 'thank you' for the Fan Package.

You're welcome.

It has taken me over two months to develop this (elapsed - I don't know how many actual hours but a fair few). I've been working on it ever since it became apparent that not having a running fan in maintenance mode was causing disks to get very hot during checks. Unfortunately it isn't just a matter of setting a fan speed but of programming an on-chip pulse width modulator using an undocumented API.

Could the fan package measure the disk temp. and cause the fan to come on at a lower temperature (and speed) than the Humax software does? Then the fan would get rid of the heat before it could exceed the disk's "too high" threshold, not be on too long nor be too noisy and we would have the best of all worlds?
Yes, it could be made to do that. We have a lot of options but no concrete idea of what the right approach is yet.

Yes, it could be made to do that. We have a lot of options but no concrete idea of what the right approach is yet.

What's the latest after having set your fan to a min of 50% - has the fan had to spin faster at all yet?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, it is a very welcome package. It has actually demonstrated the performance difference between two HDD.

I currently have two HDRs in constant use. Both sat next to each other on the same shelf, same airgap etc... Fan speed set at 50%
One has a Western Digital 10 EVDS, the other a Western Digital 10 EURX. Both are 1TB units and both AV rated. One is a standard format drive, the other Advance format. They are, however, correctly aligned.

The WD10EURX (AF) runs at a pretty constant 40deg, the WD10EVDS (SF) at 47deg. This is when they are both idle (or recording the time-shift buffer).

I am sure that running at a 'constant' temperature is better for the longevity of the internal component.

Nice work AF.

I have installed this and sysmon on four HDR's, and following a period of experimentation, have settled on a minimum fan speed of 40%. This seems to give me a temperature range of around 44 - 47 degrees.

I have installed this and sysmon on four HDR's, and following a period of experimentation, have settled on a minimum fan speed of 40%. This seems to give me a temperature range of around 44 - 47 degrees.
Are they all fairly similar as I'd expect some variation between different disk models and ages of the fans.

Are they all fairly similar as I'd expect some variation between different disk models and ages of the fans.
I had them all running for a few hours, and only noticed about one degree difference between any of them. The 47 degree reading was during a period of dual HD channel recording.

At 50%, mine seems quite stable. I will try 40% though.
(The new sysmon has a Last 5 hours as well)

hddtemp2.png

25% - temperature oscillates (48-56 degrees) about 1.6 times the period compared to what the Humax software does.
33% - temperature constant (+/- 1 degree) at 48 degrees
40% - temperature constant (+/- 1 degree) at 43 degrees

I think it's worth restating that the thing that is being varied by this package is the width of the on pulse from the PWM output. The slider in the web interface may not linearly affect the fan speed, although it's certainly true that higher values do make the fan run faster.

I have a fan! I installed the fan package, set at 100%, and turned off and on and now it is running and I can hear it! Thanks, af.

PS Snazzy new Settings page too. Nice!

Back