[fan] More control over HDR fan

I have had one HDR recording today for almost 2 hours, the starting temperature was 23 degrees, and the ending temperature was 42 degrees.

Okay, your fan works. Does sysmon show the temperature sensor works?

Ah, well, good point. Funnily enough, I rarely use this box. I will leave it on for a couple of hours and check later.

When I put the fan speed at a min of 100%, there was no indication of any difference in the SysMon graph. I expected an indication that the fan was running plus a fall in temperature but neither happened.

Ah, well, good point. Funnily enough, I rarely use this box. I will leave it on for a couple of hours and check later.

When I put the fan speed at a min of
100%, there was no indication of any difference in the SysMon graph. I expected an indication that the fan was running plus a fall in temperature but neither happened.

I think the sysmon graph still guesses the fan state based on standard behaviour and only takes into account the temperature of the drive - nothing else.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

OK 40 minutes in and SysMon is showing indication of fan activity and temp is down very slightly. The fan is quiet and I would not have noticed it over ambient noise, including rain outside and the sound system!

If the Humax you are watching is the same one you posted hard disk results for HERE, then it shows that your drive temperature has never exceeded 56Dec C, which is the normal fan-on temperature and that at the time of screen capture the temperature was 33Deg C, so it all looks O.K. to me

Hi all

For those interested, at 50% I’m getting Ambient + 17c (22c + 17c = 39c).

At 40% it’s Ambient + 21c (22c + 21c = 43c).

IMO, no point keeping it ‘artificially’ too low as the temperature will only rise more when the Humax goes into standby.

May try 35% as, IMO, cool, quiet and below 50c will be a great result.

EDIT Those are 'idle' temps. At 40% the temp has gone up to 45c now it's recording/playing back.

Before:
uploadfromtaptalk1379347185454.jpg

After:
uploadfromtaptalk1379347227946.jpg

And that's just at 32%

I set it to 55% initially but it kept cooling past 40 degrees so turned it down after a few mins. Can't hear the fan.

Love it!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Couple of graphs showing mine (first) and SWMBO's (second) HDRs with fan setting at 50%. Hers is a newer model with the Advanced format drive, mine is the older 'standard' one. Interesting temperature differences, getting on for 10deg hotter on the newer machine. The 'hump' in the middle of mine is when I lowered the fan to 40% to see what would happen (temp went up!), but subsequently raised it to 50% again.
rchart.jpeg
lchart.jpeg
rchart.jpeg

If the Humax you are watching is the same one you posted hard disk results for HERE, then it shows that your drive temperature has never exceeded 56Dec C, which is the normal fan-on temperature and that at the time of screen capture the temperature was 33Deg C, so it all looks O.K. to me

Sounds good! Many thanks, and yes, it is the same hummy.

Hi af123

As CFW v2.19 enables the fan in maintenance mode, does this mean it would be possible to enable the fan in Standby mode?

Just thinking, if so, could the already excellent Fan control package have an option to keep the fan running for a set time (if possible, selectable) after going into standby to allow any remaining ‘hot’ air to be expelled?

This would help prevent the HDD temperature rising very quickly after the fan is turned off.

Correct. Once the shut-down is complete, everything turns off. However, it might be possible to put the fan to some high percentage during the shut-down?

Correct. Once the shut-down is complete, everything turns off. However, it might be possible to put the fan to some high percentage during the shut-down?
That should be possible - and to delay shutdown briefly.

Interesting suggestions.

IIRC, my Humax 9300T's fan run on for a while after going into standby.

Black Hole, if everything turns off (in standby) where is the Orange 'standby' light getting it's power from?

The front panel is effectively a small dedicated processor which retains power. The Humax software writes the current system time to it on shutdown and reads it back again on startup. The front panel is responsible for waking the box ready for a recording among other things like controlling the VFD and LEDs.

Thanks for the info af123.

I'm just looking at the various Power Management options (page 53 in the User Manual).

If you haven't already, maybe worth a quick look to see if any of them could be 'modified' to power the fan in standby.

I'm a little puzzled. Why should the HDD temperature continue to rise after entering standby?

Hi BMAX

I attached an ‘outside’ temperature probe to the HDD in my PC and noticed when it powered down, the HDD temperature would rise very quickly before gradually go down again.

I believe the same is happening to the Humax HDD but have not attached an ‘outside’ temperature probe to prove it.

Hi BMAX

I attached an ‘outside’ temperature probe to the HDD in my PC and noticed when it powered down, the HDD temperature would rise very quickly before gradually go down again.

I believe the same is happening to the Humax HDD but have not attached an ‘outside’ temperature probe to prove it.
The outside temperature will rise as there is no air flow to take away the residual heat, but it is impossible for the disc's internal temperature to rise as there is no longer any power being dissipated within. You can easily demonstrate this by turning the pvr off for a few minutes, then on again, while monitoring the disc temperature. Keeping the fan running will, if anything , increase stress by rapidly cooling the disc.

Back