[fan] More control over HDR fan

I have non-stop data between 10 and 6 followed by spikes at night as it records from standby. I can also confirm that the web interface goes inactive shortly after 6 as the unit shuts down.

Sorry, yes I should have said 10 to 6 plus expected times for recording from standby, possibly even 4:30 to 4:45 when the HDR wakes up to look for OTAs. It was just to eliminate the possibility (which you have) that the unit goes from on to 'half awake' rather than on to standby. The unit unexpectedly going into this 'half awake' state can indicate other problems.

If the box crashed at some point then the fan package may have disabled itself. Anything in the crash.log file?

Posted on the move; please excuse any brevity.

If the box crashed at some point then the fan package may have disabled itself. Anything in the crash.log file?

Posted on the move; please excuse any brevity.

Where is the crash.log file located? If I can I will have a look bearing in mind I am on full remote access and I can't remember whether I am still forwarding ports for the SSH services or not.

If you run the debugtv diagnostic then on the next boot you will start to get a humaxtv.log file which will contain some diagnostic info relating to things like the fan package. I'd also try doing a forced reinstall of fan through the web interface diagnostics screen just to make sure.

If you run the debugtv diagnostic then on the next boot you will start to get a humaxtv.log file which will contain some diagnostic info relating to things like the fan package. I'd also try doing a forced reinstall of fan through the web interface diagnostics screen just to make sure.

As I am on holiday I don't want to start messing with it remotely unnecessarily (I don't even check for package updates when I am away just in case it goes wrong and I lose access) so I will investigate when I get back next week and let you know.

The first thing I will do is to cancel the on/off timers though and leave it a day or so and see if it miraculously starts working again just in case there is some oddity with on/off timers that affects the fan package (has anyone ever tested this scenario?). I'll let you know next week.

In the meantime if you do have any more thoughts then let me know.

Well due to problems I upgraded to CF 2.19 but I've still got issues. I tried to upgrade all the packages I have, they all upgrade except WebIF which just sits there doing nothing. Graphics whirling round and round, but no traffic on the ethernet LEDs on the back. Can't install fan until I've got all existing packages up to date.

And I can't find fan in the list of packages to install. At first I assumed that was because I was on CF 2.15 which is why I upgraded, but it still didn't appear hence trying to update WebIF.

Custom firmware now appears to be completely broken. Power cycle HDR Fox T2, can load a small amount of web page and the IE says the connection is lost. This is why I never upgrade this stuff unless there's an actual reason, things always seem to go wrong.

Custom firmware now appears to be completely broken. Power cycle HDR Fox T2, can load a small amount of web page and the IE says the connection is lost. This is why I never upgrade this stuff unless there's an actual reason, things always seem to go wrong.

Logged in from iPad and it started working. Now working fine from IE on my laptop too. No idea what was going on, but webif has finally updated. Still can't see fan though on list of packages to install.

Not teaching you to suck eggs, but have you clicked on the 'Update package list from Internet' button? It is no good just clicking the 'Available' tab without doing so as any new package in the repository will not be listed there until the local list is refreshed. IIRC.

Not teaching you to suck eggs, but have you clicked on the 'Update package list from Internet' button? It is no good just clicking the 'Available' tab without doing so as any new package in the repository will not be listed there until the local list is refreshed. IIRC.

Yes I've updated the package list and it still isn't listed.

I have a vague recollection of having a similar problem finding the NTP client when I wanted to install that, but I can't remember how that was sorted out.

IIRC HDR1 is still on 2.12 and running fan.

Thanks, bit late now I'm on 2.19 but the only harm done with that seems to be that webif is a lot less reliable after updating. But since I won't be using webif often once I've managed to install fan that doesn't really matter to me.

Is it an advanced package? Do you have advanced packages turned on in the WebIF settings?

I didn't think of that. But why would such a valuable package be deemed advanced? It fixes a key deficiency in the Humax software. Also if it were in the advanced list wouldn't that have been mentioned when it was released?

Anyway it's too late to check tonight, I'm off to bed now.

EDIT: No I don't have advanced packages turned on. Surely the intention is that they are turned off for most users most of the time so you don't see all the internals that you don't need to know about.

Anything new is released as advanced until there is sufficient testing from the early adopters to show there is little risk.

Back