[fan] More control over HDR fan

Anything new is released as advanced until there is sufficient testing from the early adopters to show there is little risk.

Thanks, that'll be why I can't find it then. But I have to say as an infrequent visitor here, how am I supposed to know that? The release of the package should point this out.

I'm sure it's mentioned in the general reading. I'm also sure somebody who knows where will kindly provide a link!

I am inclined to point out that the custom firmware is very much an enthusiasts domain, and although it has become slick it was not always so. Anyone with an interest in the CF (that means anybody who has installed it) should keep a watching brief on the proceedings at Hummy.tv, and familiarise themselves with the background rather than assume it will all be spelled out in detail in every topic.

In case there are any other readers not familiar with the concept of "advanced packages", under WebIF >> Settings >> Advanced Settings the control "Show development and advanced packages?" defaults to "NO". This means that when the (potentially) novice CF user views the WebIF >> Package Management screens they will be shielded from the nuts and bolts of installed support utilities, not offered utilities that are only needed by developers, and not tempted by packages that are still regarded as in beta trials. Deciding to uninstall a helper package because they don't understand why it is installed could bring things crashing down!

I agree there are improvements that could be made. First of all, the first post announcing a new package should include a note that it is in beta (and revised when it makes it to full circulation). I also think there could be further subdivisions: most people have no need to see the utility daemons (only the base packages), and the developer tools could be hidden by a separate switch. But, as with all things CF, these are a possible future development if af123 considers them important enough to add to the task list or if somebody else feels competent to help out.

Sorry, won't be doing that. I install stuff (quite a minimal set), check it's all working, and then leave it be. I only come back to hummy.tv if I have problems, when Humax release new software, or when I hear of something new worth installing like "fan".

The problem is that hummy.tv is so active that I simply don't have time to read or even skim it.

My set of custom firmware features is:

disable-dso
disable-ota (plus a 04:20 to 04:40 daily reminder)
auto-unprot
ntpclient
fan

and whatever the CF installs as pre-requisites for the above. That's not a lot to ask to work reliably long term.

EDIT: I regard the above set as fixing bugs, making the HDR Fox T2 work the way it should as supplied by Humax. I'm not actually trying to have new features.

Freeloader, huh? Wants all the benefit with no effort.

That's not a lot to ask to work reliably long term.
Provided for free? You should regard it as a nice surprise that the CF is as good as it is.

I regard the above set as fixing bugs, making the HDR Fox T2 work the way it should as supplied by Humax. I'm not actually trying to have new features.
So you might, but the mods on your list are new features. By wanting the HDR-FOX to do things not-as-supplied, you are buying in to the community modification effort. As a PVR, the 'FOX works out of the box. Just not the way you would like it to.

I regard your complaints as unjustified. Use the CF at your own risk, and refuse to read the accompanying "documentation" at your own risk.

I am not freeloading. It was me that pointed out the problems with browser cache handling that caused all the apps to change the way they do html headers, for example. I just don't believe it is reasonable to require me to read hummy.tv regularly in depth just to use the CF.

And BlackHole is not being particularly welcoming here, if anything your attitude is encouraging me to sod off once I've got it all working again.

And to be fair your problem was fixed after just a couple of posts.

Posted on the move

Indeed, "fan" is now working fine now that I've found it. I said years ago the fan should have a minimum speed. Webif is still flaky, but I'm done with it for the next nine months :)

Box is staying nice and cool with fan set at 50%, no longer is the entire casework hot all the time. Thanks a lot for the package af123.

Now if only someone could implement something similar for my Oppo 95 blu ray player.

As I am on holiday I don't want to start messing with it remotely unnecessarily (I don't even check for package updates when I am away just in case it goes wrong and I lose access) so I will investigate when I get back next week and let you know.

The first thing I will do is to cancel the on/off timers though and leave it a day or so and see if it miraculously starts working again just in case there is some oddity with on/off timers that affects the fan package (has anyone ever tested this scenario?). I'll let you know next week.

In the meantime if you do have any more thoughts then let me know.

Came off holiday on Tuesday and cancelled the on/off timers. Noticed later that day when the box was on as that the fan package was working again and has worked ever since. Make of it what you want - it will be interesting to see if when I am away over the Xmas period as to whether it plays up again!

Came off holiday on Tuesday and cancelled the on/off timers. Noticed later that day when the box was on as that the fan package was working again and has worked ever since. Make of it what you want - it will be interesting to see if when I am away over the Xmas period as to whether it plays up again!
I had issues with the fan package not working last week when I had set on off timers. My graphs went back to the up and down behaviour of previous. I've now cancelled the timers and temp is now steady.

That is really strange. I can't explain it. I will set some timers on my box and see what happens.

I have HDR3 on timer on/off. Having read this I checked the graph, and up to 8 Oct the temp was steady (while on) as expected with fan = 40% min. 9 Oct onwards, the temp is ramping up and down again. Over the same period, HDR1 and HDR4 (manual on/off only) are fine.

Friday night the fan in HDR T2 #1 came on during recording and was noticed because no one was watching TV. So I decided to look into the fan behaviour. IMHO from a product longevity point of view the current Humax fan profile might not be ideal. The next best option is to set a minimum speed.

I installed the fan package on HDR T2 #2. Both are very new RE units running firmware version 1.03.06 and the custom firmware has been installed (thanks af123). I set the minimum speed to 20%: but even after a cold start the fan did not come on, not even after waiting ten minutes for it. I have tried some other higher %ages with the same result. The Humax fan profile still operates however (contrary to what I said earlier in another thread, see comments on sysmon below). Once the Humax fan profile has cycled to “off”, the fan turns off.

Fan running test methods: paper-tip and torch.

I had also installed “sysmon”: initially I was misled by this because I thought that it was showing the true fan speed, or at least the value written to the control register for it, and was relying on it to indicate if the fan was off/on; and I was then testing the fan when it had been indicated as having been switched on (see next para). Having read up on sysmon I see that it merely indicates what the fan should be doing.

On HDR T2 #2 sysmon often seems to show the fan as being on for one to several minutes (worst case?) before it actually comes on, and shows it going off before it actually does. The actual timing differences seem to depend on temperature change rate, which in turn is probably dependant on what is being recorded, or not and so on. I’d need to do a lot of checks to narrow down the margin on the timing.

This is not tested on HDR T2 #1 (which is in the lounge and not designated in a test role, in case I “break” it at a crucial time).

I'm running fan at 40% on GB with 1.02.32/2.18.
I have on/off timer set for middle of night (EPG update).

Fan seems to be working correctly, temp steady between 48 & 50 degrees.

Been running fine since fan app was released.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Timer on/off is not the same as a scheduled reminder (which is what I use for EPG refresh / OTA defeat).

The on period required for EPG refresh is not long enough for the temperature chart to show anything pertinent during the period.

I think I've just worked out what's happening here. Just as I was dropping off to sleep! Scribbled some notes down and will have a look tomorrow.

Posted on the move; please excuse any brevity.

I think I've just worked out what's happening here. Just as I was dropping off to sleep! Scribbled some notes down and will have a look tomorrow.

Posted on the move; please excuse any brevity.

Did you get anywhere with this?

Did you get anywhere with this?
Unfortunately not. I had thought that there was an sequence problem between the fan being initialised and the system clock being set but that doesn't seem to be the cause. I need to add more debugging output and then try and recreate the problem here.

I've been doing a bit of playing since there's nothing recording tonight and I can't replicate the problem.

I've tested:
  • Power on with remote control;
  • Power on for recording set from EPG (AR mode);
  • Power on using reminder set from EPG;
  • Power on using on/off timers (in Preferences->Time).
and in all cases the set minimum fan speed (which was 80% for these tests so I could hear it) was honoured.
Can anyone reliably replicate this problem?

Back