Feature Request Webif remote

JGHummy

Hi
I would like to see the remote report the mode the box is in and adjust the codes it sends to match this.
Thanks

It is possible for the Custom Firmware to force the Humax to display what 'Humax Mode' it is in BUT communication with the Remote control is only one way, it isn't possible to send instructions to the remote from the Humax. If the plan is for the Humax to detect what mode the Remote is currently in and change the 'Humax mode' on the Humax to match the remote, this would require the Humax to be 'listening' in all 6 modes simultaneously, which it wouldn't be able to do continuously. I guess it would be possible to kick off a 'find-remote' function via the Web-If that polled the 6 'Humax modes' while looking for input from the remote and the permanently setting the 'Humax Mode' to this found mode, then exiting with 'Your remote and Humax are currently set to X Mode'

I don't know where the current mode is stored, but I'd be able to watch for real remote key presses and detect the mode from that. The IR package sees all incoming IR traffic and it's already possible to work out what mode the original remote is in, by turning on debug mode. I suppose for initial setup it could be useful to report the mode directly but setup is generally a one-time operation.

One thing to watch out for would be those people who have 2 or more Humax products and have them set to different modes. The package would keep switching modes if I understand your suggestion correctly...

Posted on the move; please excuse any brevity.

Ah O.K., so although the Humax won't react to all 6 modes, it will receive all modes and the CF can log them, I think it would be safer to work out what mode is sent from the Remote and the display 'current remote mode is X mode, do you want the Humax to adopt this mode Y/N'. I'm not sure this is what the OP wanted but it's the only way to get the two in sync.
Which of the logs do the ir codes get stored?

It's the humaxtv.log as long as you have enabled debugging with (IIRC) diag ir3/debugon

Posted on the move; please excuse any brevity.

Found it after a bit of digging around, HERE, I'm sure I looked in the humaxtv.log Ah well. Ive found this is useful :-tail -f /tmp/humaxtv.log
Code:
Real IR code: 0x000001 0xea151000
Real IR code: 0x000001 0xea151000
Real IR code: 00000000 0xed121000
Real IR code: 0x000001 0xed121000
Real IR code: 00000000 0xec131000
Real IR code: 0x000001 0xec131000
Is each ir code made up of both Mode and button info?

It is possible for the Custom Firmware to force the Humax to display what 'Humax Mode' it is in BUT communication with the Remote control is only one way, it isn't possible to send instructions to the remote from the Humax.
Hi
I don't want the humax to send instructions to the remote but vice versa
EG If the humax is in mode 2 the remote displays that and sends the codes the humax expects in that mode
It's all gone above my head now:)
Thanks

I don't understand how you think that could be done. The only way to tell the handset to send in any particular mode is to do the "OK+0" routine, then press the mode number (unless somebody figures out how to connect to the handset's internals and accesses the programming interface).

Normally the Humax puts up a message on-screen to prompt for the mode number, and changes mode itself to match - but if the Humax is not operational and in view, the handset will still change mode regardless (and in that way cease to control the Humax because it is out of sync). The CF can detect the mode coming from the handset, and maybe could provide an alternative method of updating the mode the Humax is in (if/when somebody can find where the mode is stored in the database), but it cannot affect the mode the handset is in.

I don't understand how you think that could be done. The only way to tell the handset to send in any particular mode is to do the "OK+0" routine, then press the mode number (unless somebody figures out how to connect to the handset's internals and accesses the programming interface).

Normally the Humax puts up a message on-screen to prompt for the mode number, and changes mode itself to match - but if the Humax is not operational and in view, the handset will still change mode regardless (and in that way cease to control the Humax because it is out of sync). The CF can detect the mode coming from the handset, and maybe could provide an alternative method of updating the mode the Humax is in (if/when somebody can find where the mode is stored in the database), but it cannot affect the mode the handset is in.
Hi
What do you mean by the handset ?
Are you talking about the physical remote ?
If so that is not what I mean

Thanks

Well, what do you mean then? Specify. Inadequate questions receive inadequate answers. We have all read "remote" as meaning "the remote control" ie "handset" so far.

If you mean the Web Interface (WebIF), as has already been stated the CF can't control the mode of the Humax itself (until and unless somebody finds the relevant entry in the database, if indeed the relevant data is stored in the database and not in some other subsystem). The virtual remote on the WebIF has its mode selected via the Settings page (on the WebIf).

Well, what do you mean then? Specify. Inadequate questions receive inadequate answers. We have all read "remote" as meaning "the remote control" ie "handset" so far.

If you mean the Web Interface (WebIF), as has already been stated the CF can't control the mode of the Humax itself (until and unless somebody finds the relevant entry in the database, if indeed the relevant data is stored in the database and not in some other subsystem). The virtual remote on the WebIF has its mode selected via the Settings page (on the WebIf).
Hi
I'm sorry you interpretation is such
The title of the thread contains WebIf remote
perhaps I should have said virtual

I was unaware of the settings page sorry
This is what I was asking for the virtual remote to send the codes required for the mode the box is in

I have changed the virtual remote to Mode 2
Mode 2 is what my box is set to confirmed by
ir CURMODE MODE (thanks af123 )

However key presses from the virtual remote are having no effect on box
Should I start another thread for this ?

Thanks

There is some confusion (on both parts) here, I'll try to clarify, there are 3 items that can be in one of 6 'Modes', they are the Remote Control, the CF ir package and the Humax operating system, here are the rules :-
1) the remote control mode can only be changed by O.K. + 0 followed by 1-6 (not by Humax operating system or Custom firmware)
2) the Settings >> Remote Control Settings >> Select Remote Control Mode ONLY sets the CF ir (not the Humax operating system or Remote Control)
3) When the CF ir is changed (in 2 above) it will not take effect until after a reboot
4) Although the CF can't read the current mode of the Humax operating system, It can change it, Notes HERE
5) when ir CF changes the Humax operating system Mode (in 4 above) it does not change the CF ir mode (in 2 above) at the same time

The main aim is to re-synchronise the remote control and the Humax operating system, this could be achieved by reading the Mode part of the remote control's current setting with the Custom Firmware and then setting the Humax operating system to that Mode using ir CURMODE MODE DELAY2 MODEX where X is the mode discovered by the CF from the remote control's sent commands
EDIT
After a bit more testing I realised that there is a 7th Universal mode used for changing Modes, If say the Humax OS was in mode 3, I assumed that the CF ir also needed to be in Mode 3 to communicate with it, however it doesn't, because :-
Code:
0X FB04 1000 = 'button 2' in mode 1
0X FB04 10FA = 'button 2' in mode 2
0X FB04 10FB = 'button 2' in mode 3
0X FB04 10FC = 'button 2' in mode 4
0X FB04 10FD = 'button 2' in mode 5
0X FB04 10DE = 'button 2' in mode 6
but
0X 8D70 10FF = 'mode set' in universal
0X 8D72 10FF = 'button 2' in universal
Because of the above it should always be possible to display the TV current Mode from the remote control even if the function buttons are out of sync. I have added some notes to the WiKi HERE, to make sure the O.K. + 0 procedure is done correctly

2) the Settings >> Remote Control Settings >> Select Remote Control Mode ONLY sets the CF ir (not the Humax operating system or Remote Control)
3) When the CF ir is changed (in 2 above) it will not take effect until after a reboot
Hi
The Humax OS and remote are in mode 2
Sorry a reboot of what ?

Thanks

A reboot of the Humax i.e. place the Humax in standby with the Remote Control power button or the Humax 'Big' centre button, wait 30 seconds and then turn Humax back on

You generally do need a reboot for settings changes to take effect. Another way to reboot it is via the button on the Diagnostics page.

My note 4 in #12 covers af123's comment, he says he doesn't know where the current mode is stored, which means he can't read it, however it is possible to change (or control) the current mode with ir CURMODE MODE DELAY2 MODEX

Ah, yes, by injecting commands as if they were button presses on the remote. That is what I would call a "blind" operation (shoot and hope) - but I admit it will have the desired effect.

Back