File Transfer from HDR Fox T2 > USB flash drive

Grafenwalder

Frustrated newbie needing help here!!

Had my Fox T2 for 18mths and recently decided to offload some programmes. As i'd owned a Humax before (the Freesat 320gb model) i assumed transferring would be simple. Plug flash drive into usb port, select programme, move to flash drive, job done. But no!! Whilst it does transfer to the flash, when i try and open it on my pc it says "there are no files in this folder" even though the files are definitely there!

A poster on another forum reckons it can't be done without installing custom firmware. As far as i'm aware the firmware on my Fox is up to date so what am i supposed to do? Transferring from my old Freesat Humax was as simple as "abc" and that's what i could do with here on the FoxT2 but it seems Humax, for reasons best known to themselves, have chose to make the operation as obtuse as possible. I formatted the flash drive in FAT32 and running with win 8.1. All programmes on FoxT2 are SD recordings with exception of one. Any help for a simple solution appreciated!

Can you write files to the same stick on your computer, and see them on the HDR FOX T2 and on the PC ? Try some .jpg photos. You do not need CF to copy files to USB from a vanilla HDR FOX T2. SD files should be decrypted on copying, HD ones will not be (unless you use the CF or Raydons Foxy).

Can you write files to the same stick on your computer, and see them on the HDR FOX T2 and on the PC ? Try some .jpg photos. You do not need CF to copy files to USB from a vanilla HDR FOX T2. SD files should be decrypted on copying, HD ones will not be (unless you use the CF or Raydons Foxy).

I tried a small 17 minute programme. It copies over to the flash drive and will play back from the flash to the FOX T2, but if i then put that flash drive in my pc it won't read anything. When i click to "open" it simply comes up as "there are no files in this folder".

My previous Humax (Freesat 320gb model), that moved files to the usb (where the Fox copies) and played straight away on my pc. Quite what Humax have done with the Fox T2 and why i've no idea, but far from being an improvement it's a backward step imo.

So the problem's with the PC then isn't it?
Open a Command Prompt and do a "dir" command on the flash drive. Don't believe the stupid Windoze GUI.
You are of course aware that FAT32 has a max. file size of 4GB too.

So the problem's with the PC then isn't it?
Open a Command Prompt and do a "dir" command on the flash drive. Don't believe the stupid Windoze GUI.
You are of course aware that FAT32 has a max. file size of 4GB too.

Don't think so. I'd already tried "dir" and still get the same.

The only other options i have to format the flash in are NTFS and exFAT. I tried exFAT and thats the same and according to the manual, NTFS is "read" only....not "read, copy".

This is not a problem with the HDR-FOX in general - it's either a problem with your HDR-FOX, or something you are not doing correctly.

See 5 and 12.

Looks like i've got a load of reading and machine rebuilding to do!!! Now if only that old Humax was still around!! :(

oops....had to remove link in quote. I'm not allowed a link until i've made 10 posts! :rolleyes:

Grafenwalder - with the unmodified HDR-FOX, NTFS is read only and exFAT is not supported. I am confused that you said exFAT is the same (as FAT32?): an exFAT USB stick would not be recognised.

Looks like i've got a load of reading and machine rebuilding to do!!! Now if only that old Humax was still around!! :(
Now I have re-read your first post, I see that your source material was from a Freesat model. Do you mean Foxsat-HDR? It does help if posters are precise about model designations.

Assuming Foxsat-HDR, we know that material copied from there will be unrecoverably encrypted if it was HiDef (unless steps were taken to disable encryption before the recording was made). We also know that StDef recordings made with the Foxsat will play on an HDR-FOX as long as you delete the sidecar files and only keep the .TS file. Foxsat (uncustomised) will write to a USB drive as long as it is formatted Ext3 or FAT32 - no other options.

Now I have re-read your first post, I see that your source material was from a Freesat model. Do you mean Foxsat-HDR? It does help if posters are precise about model designations.

Assuming Foxsat-HDR, we know that material copied from there will be unrecoverably encrypted if it was HiDef (unless steps were taken to disable encryption before the recording was made). We also know that StDef recordings made with the Foxsat will play on an HDR-FOX as long as you delete the sidecar files and only keep the .TS file. Foxsat (uncustomised) will write to a USB drive as long as it is formatted Ext3 or FAT32 - no other options.

Afaik EXT2 will work on usb sticks.

Grafenwalder - with the unmodified HDR-FOX, NTFS is read only and exFAT is not supported. I am confused that you said exFAT is the same (as FAT32?): an exFAT USB stick would not be recognised.

Yes i know NTFS is "read only", i posted that. What i said was i can only format the usb flash in NTFS (no good for reasons already stated), exFAT and FAT32. As both the latter are listed as "read and copy" i tried both, but met with no success.

No it wasn't and i apologise if i've confused the issue. The only reason i mentioned the Humax Freesat model was that was the type i had a few years ago and extracting files off that was simple "abc" PnP....stick in usb, move file, pull flash out, plug in pc and bingo...thats all there was to it. But now i have a Foxsat-HDR T2 and this is completely different hence the trouble i'm having getting files off.

All files are SD recordings with the exception of one.

I found this last night http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Firmware_Downloads and wondered if i need to install one of the firmware downloads?

There is a major confusion of terminology here, I don't know what you are talking about. This is the HDR-FOX T2 section of the forum. The HDR-FOX T2 is a Freeview (terrestrial) receiver/recorder. The custom firmware you have linked above is for the HDR-FOX T2.

The Foxsat-HDR is a Freesat satellite receiver/recorder. It is not "T2" (T2 is a modulation scheme used for terrestrial broadcasting, the equivalent for satellite is S2). It has its own set of problems and customisations. The Foxsat-HDR section of the forum is here: https://hummy.tv/forum/forums/foxsat-hdr-freesat-recorder.14/

Please clarify exactly what you mean.

Both the HDR-FOX and the Foxsat-HDR can export recordings to a USB drive, no problem and without any special firmware, as long as the recordings in question are StDef not HiDef. If you are having difficulty, it is either a fault with the unit or the operator.

Assuming you are talking HDR-FOX, all you need to do is:
  1. Plug a FAT32 UPD or disk into either of the USB sockets;
  2. Media >> [select recording] >> OPT+ >> Move/Copy >> [select destination] >> Copy (red)
The only possible cock-up you could make is to navigate into the destination folder instead of just selecting it. If you do that, the copy operation doesn't happen. If you are not navigated into the UPD/disk and still on the internal drive, the red option will be "move" not "copy".

I don't own a Foxsat, but I think the UI is pretty similar.

Last edited:
There is a major confusion of terminology here, I don't know what you are talking about.

Please clarify exactly what you mean.

Both the HDR-FOX and the Foxsat-HDR can export recordings to a USB drive, no problem and without any special firmware, as long as the recordings in question are StDef not HiDef. If you are having difficulty, it is either a fault with the unit or the operator.

Ok apologies.....i'l clarify. The model i have is a Humax HDR Fox T2 running Freeview via tv aerial.

Assuming you are talking HDR-FOX, all you need to do is:
  1. Plug a FAT32 UPD or disk into either of the USB sockets;
  2. Media >> [select recording] >> OPT+ >> Move/Copy >> [select destination] >> Copy (red)
The only possible cock-up you could make is to navigate into the destination folder instead of just selecting it. If you do that, the copy operation doesn't happen. If you are not navigated into the UPD/disk and still on the internal drive, the red option will be "move" not "copy".

I don't own a Foxsat, but I think the UI is pretty similar.

And those two operations....1 and 2 are exactly what i've been doing including the >> copy (red button) but getting nowhere with it. Flash drive is a 16gb Sandisk formatted to FAT32 and all pvr recordings are in SD. Once copied to the flash drive it will play back on the Humax (off the flash), but when i plug that flash drive into my pc....click to open, it displays "there are no files in this folder". I've done 'dir' via command prompt as another poster suggested, but still get same.

What you write makes no sense. How can it play back from the USB stick yet there not be any files on it?
Nobody else has trouble copying to USB sticks. There is nothing inherently wrong with the HDR T2's operation in this respect.
You seem not to be doing what you think you are doing with the copy operation.
It's probable that the problem is either with your stick or with you. Try a different stick as a start. The other option is trickier.

Can you copy files onto the stick from your PC and then see them in Explorer when it is formatted the same as that which you are using on it to copy from the HDR? i.e. Is there something wrong with the OC or the stick?

Ok apologies.....i'l clarify. The model i have is a Humax HDR Fox T2 running Freeview via tv aerial.
Maybe you don't realise you wrote this:
But now i have a Foxsat-HDR T2

If the file plays from the UPD (and you are certain you are accessing the UPD, the light flashes or something) it must be there. The problem is with your PC. Custom firmware won't help you resolve this.

Try using another PC, or boot your PC into an operating system that doesn't hide things - ie Linux - from a live boot CD/DVD.

What you write makes no sense. How can it play back from the USB stick yet there not be any files on it?
It won't when it's plugged into the pc......but to check 100% the file had copied, i tried playing the file on the flash drive in the Fox T2 and it worked.....proving the file is on the flash.

It's when i plug the flash to my pc with the file on that i cannot access the file.

Can you copy files onto the stick from your PC and then see them in Explorer when it is formatted the same as that which you are using on it to copy from the HDR? i.e. Is there something wrong with the OC or the stick?
Yes without any problem. Video files, jpegs, music..anything. Stick is fine.

Maybe you don't realise you wrote this:
Yes i realised when i read your post "There is a major confusion of terminology here...". I apologised for the mistake and clarified it in my follow up post yesterday.

If the file plays from the UPD (and you are certain you are accessing the UPD, the light flashes or something) it must be there. The problem is with your PC. Custom firmware won't help you resolve this.

Try using another PC, or boot your PC into an operating system that doesn't hide things - ie Linux - from a live boot CD/DVD.
I've tried it on a laptop running on XP Pro and get the same as my desktop which is a three year old Dell.

Can you see a jpeg file copied from your PC to your stick and view it using the Foxsat ?

Follow this exactly

Format a stick FAT32 with the Foxsat on and it's output displayed on the screen stick it in the front USB port on the Foxsat.

A message should come up saying A USB Device has been connected.

Press the remote media button. Press OPT + and OK on File Manager. Press right to select the USB device sda 1(x) x is the number of files in the root. Important press OK to open the device to the root folder.

Press left and locate a SD recording. Press green to start the copy. After the copy is complete.

Transfer the stick to a PC and open it in file manager. There should be 3 files xxxx.ts, xxxx.nts and xxxx,hmt. The .ts should be a playable SD recording.

Back