File Transfer from HDR Fox T2 > USB flash drive

(apologies also for the whacking sized pics....how do you guys make 'em fit small?)
At the bottom of the post editor you get the choice whether to include the image in full or as a thumbnail.

Oh brother!! And yes......it does play!! :rolleyes:

The only thing i've done differently from before is to load another file. Absolutely no idea why the other one i tried won't load. This file is a 1 hour long BBC programme and must admit it took a staggeringly long time to copy.....nowhere near as quick as the Humax Freesat. But at least it copies!
But you said you couldn't see the file, not that it was there but didn't play. We can find plenty of reasons it might not play - not so many why it should be on the UPD but not visible.

The process is slow due to the decryption during copying. If you use the CF and auto-decryption in situ, copying is much faster.

Windows Paint can resize photos using the resize menu option (Pixels). Not tried it on Win 7 but deffo works on Win 10. Right click on image file in Explorer, Choose open with - Paint

At the bottom of the post editor you get the choice whether to include the image in full or as a thumbnail.

But you said you couldn't see the file, not that it was there but didn't play. We can find plenty of reasons it might not play - not so many why it should be on the UPD but not visible.

Ah right ok thanks.....will look out for that next time!! Yes i suppose i should have set a lower res on the camera but was more concerned with getting this Humax issue sorted!

Yes thats correct when i first began posting about this.....the file i tried which was 15 mins long, loaded to the flash, played back through the Humax, showed on the pc "x" mb had been used up, but when i clicked to open the flash on pc.....nothing there and said "there are no files in this folder"!

This file i've just done today is a different one and loaded as you could see. The only "whinge" i'd have is the staggeringly looooong time it took to copy!! Way way longer than the Freesat model.

The only "whinge" i'd have is the staggeringly looooong time it took to copy!! Way way longer than the Freesat model.
It has to decrypt them as they are copied unless you have the CF installed and have set it to decrypt them prior to copying them.
How long did it take and the experts can tell you whether that was a 'normal' length of time?
What Freesat model??????????

Stage 1.8 - Transfer Speeds

I don't know how long the same copy would have taken to a USB memory stick, but copying 5.86GB to the portable drive took about 34 minutes. It only took 3 minutes to get it into the PC! For comparison, I copied 6 half-hour (+padding) radio recordings to a FAT32 USB stick (which means 18 files - no thumbnail on radio recordings), totalling 1.7GB in 9 minutes. The surprise is that it is roughly 200MB/min either to USB hard drive or to USB Flash drive. However, the USB stick then took 1:40 to copy into the PC.

Out of interest I copied the same set of files (undecrypted) by FTP, and on my 11g (I think) link to the PC (AV200 from the Humax) the transfer took 14 minutes. However, for this method to be viable first you need to decrypt the files in the Humax, and we are in the realms of hacked rather than non-hacked.

Ah right ok thanks.....will look out for that next time!! Yes i suppose i should have set a lower res on the camera but was more concerned with getting this Humax issue sorted!

Yes thats correct when i first began posting about this.....the file i tried which was 15 mins long, loaded to the flash, played back through the Humax, showed on the pc "x" mb had been used up, but when i clicked to open the flash on pc.....nothing there and said "there are no files in this folder"!

This file i've just done today is a different one and loaded as you could see. The only "whinge" i'd have is the staggeringly looooong time it took to copy!! Way way longer than the Freesat model.

If by Freesat model you mean the Foxsat-HDR, this box can't decrypt on copying. SD recordings are recorded without encryption and HD ones are encrypted (unless you have the CF and Nowsters patch).

HDR-FOX-T2 encrypts all records - decrypts SD only on copying to usb
Foxsat-HDR encrypts HD but not SD, has no way of decrypting existing recordings.

You can copy HD but as there is no decryption involved it's a much faster process and they will only play on the Foxsat that recorded the content.

It has to decrypt them as they are copied unless you have the CF installed and have set it to decrypt them prior to copying them.
How long did it take and the experts can tell you whether that was a 'normal' length of time?
At least 10 minutes possibly more. I will do another tomorrow and time it.

What Freesat model??????????
The Freesat i used to have before the T2 was this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-FOXSAT-HDR-Freesat-Digital-Recorder-x/dp/B001L5YU36
That moved programmes direct off the hard drive to the flash.....the T2 is just copying and leaving the original file on the drive. I can always delete it once i'm sure i've got the programme ok.

Exactly which CF have people installed? I'm assuming files are easier to access and transfer over to pc? What connections are needed?

That moved programmes direct off the hard drive to the flash.....the T2 is just copying and leaving the original file on the drive.
You seem to have some obsession with "moved". Moving files between drives ALWAYS results in a 'copy' followed by a 'delete'. A copy is therefore always going to be slightly quicker than a move, because there is no delete step (however quick that may or may not be), all other things being equal.

At least 10 minutes possibly more. I will do another tomorrow and time it.

The Freesat i used to have before the T2 was this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-FOXSAT-HDR-Freesat-Digital-Recorder-x/dp/B001L5YU36
That moved programmes direct off the hard drive to the flash.....the T2 is just copying and leaving the original file on the drive. I can always delete it once i'm sure i've got the programme ok.

Exactly which CF have people installed? I'm assuming files are easier to access and transfer over to pc? What connections are needed?

If you read my post that box records SD without encryption, copying to USB only needs to copy the data. The HDR-FOX-T2 would be identical if you run the CF on it. The Custom Firmware for the HDR-FOX-T2 is available here and the answer is the latest version. You don't need any extra connections other than connecting your HDR-FOX-T2 and PC to your home network. If you still have the Foxsat and install the CF for that box you can view the SD recordings on it directly using the HDR-FOX-T2 (it also has to be connected to your home network). You can also watch HD recordings made after Nowsters patch was installed.

You seem to have some obsession with "moved". Moving files between drives ALWAYS results in a 'copy' followed by a 'delete'. A copy is therefore always going to be slightly quicker than a move, because there is no delete step (however quick that may or may not be), all other things being equal.
It doesn't :). That would be a tad dangerous for HD recordings.

At the risk of confusing (again!!) i will try and explain what i meant but please remember the model i now have and am using is the HDR Fox T2. :)

The previously owned Humax i had was a Freesat model (i showed an Amazon link) with a 320gb drive. From memory once a file on the hard drive had been selected and flash drive plugged in, you clicked on "move file" and the onscreen display showed a % bar loading so you could clearly see how much was left to go. I might be mistaken but i'm sure it offloaded from the drive. By comparison, when copying, the Fox T2 simply displays a "whirring star" icon saying "copying"......no clue as to how much has gone on or how long left, you just have to sit and wait until the "whirring star" has stopped!

Black Hole and Graham....i will have a look at doing this custom firmware thing if it helps take the "faff" out of transferring via flash drive. Also thanks to all on this forum for the help, and patience though i suspect i may be back for more help before long! :D Its a very good forum.

You are also mistaken in that there is no copy progress on a Foxsat-HDR, nor any move capability other than moving the file to a different location on the hard disk, which is the default action in windows which is near instant. (I still use one every day).

You fail to understand the difference, moving a file on any operating system on the same volume (Disk) just needs a tiny change to the data to identify where all the data of the file is located. This takes seconds.

If you want to copy a file in Windows to a folder on the same drive you need to hold down CTRL. without this the file is moved near instantly. Moving a file on the same drive merely changes a few bytes that tell the Operating System where the file is in the File Allocation Table. Copying requires a whole new File Allocation Table (FAT) to be recreated and the file data itself to be duplicated.

Copying a file on the same disk is still much faster than USB because USB is much slower than internal data transfers. Also USB transfers from a set top box is a low priority operation so the usb transfer is a low priority process. The box will service the primary recording/live viewing primary function first before servicing the usb copy sub routines.

Copying requires every single byte in the data to be duplicated plus a small amount of data to track the file, which of course takes a lot longer. Basically a copy/delete original would actually take longer than a copy. Deleting files on a Linux system are not instant, though the deletion takes place in the background.

You are mistaken. The operation was copy not move.

Ok maybe so.....it was some time ago i had the Humax Freesat.

You are also mistaken in that there is no copy progress on a Foxsat-HDR, nor any move capability other than moving the file to a different location on the hard disk, which is the default action in windows which is near instant. (I still use one every day).

I'm not sure how you got that impression from what i posted which was, "The previously owned Humax i had was a Freesat model (i showed an Amazon link) with a 320gb drive. From memory once a file on the hard drive had been selected and flash drive plugged in, you clicked on "move file" and the onscreen display showed a % bar loading so you could clearly see how much was left to go. "

The Fox T2 just displays a "whirling star" saying "copying" with no visible sign of the progress.....that was the point i was making.

I will have a look at doing this custom firmware thing if it helps take the "faff" out of transferring via flash drive.
If you think that's a faff, I'm not sure you will find CF methods any less of a faff. Yes, the HDR can be made a target for FTP, and it can be made to appear as network attached storage from you computer, but you will have to ensure the content is decrypted first. Probably the easiest CF method for non-technical people to understand (apart from USB transport - ie Method 5) is Method 4.

Guide to Decryption (click)

If you think that's a faff, I'm not sure you will find CF methods any less of a faff. Yes, the HDR can be made a target for FTP, and it can be made to appear as network attached storage from you computer, but you will have to ensure the content is decrypted first. Probably the easiest CF method for non-technical people to understand (apart from USB transport - ie Method 5) is Method 4.

Guide to Decryption (click)

Well what i cannot get over is the inordinate amount of time it takes to copy a file from the Humax to flash. I did a 60 min progamme earlier on and when i looked at it on the pc, it was only partially there despite the "copying" on the Humax appearing to have completed. So i tried again and this time i sat watching until the "copying" went off, then i pressed the media button....and it's still "copying"!! This time i had got the whole file complete and it plays perfect on pc....but to sum up i've spent around two hours dragging three one hour programmes off the Humax.

I can't say i'm that impressed with the Fox T2 and seriously considering getting an old Foxsat model (with the usb port). No faffing around with those, just plug in, file off, stick on pc and play......job done, and it offloaded quick too!

Back