File transfer problem when using HDR FOX T2 as media storage

Nick268

I have an HRD FOX T2 running MOD_3.13 which I recently started to use as media storage to offload my video files from computers.

I ftp video files to T2 without any issue (using FileZilla). But when I tried to ftp-back to computer, it always failed.

Not only did video files fail to be download, srt files failed too.

Any idea how this problem could be solved?

Thanks, Nick

Nick,

One way FTP is a bit odd - any firewalling on your PC ?
What messages does filezilla report when attempting the inbound transfer?
You should see these in the filezilla Message Log section - usually near the top of the filezilla window.
If you can't see the message section, click 'View' and tick 'Message Log'

Agreed. "failed" isn't an adequate description to offer any suggestions. The networking method might also have something to do with it, which has not been described at all.

Are you using the built-in FTP server, or the (much more reliable) CF betaftpd? The standard server will need to be turned off if you install betaftpd.

Why FTP anyway? If it's a Windows PC, install samba and then the HDR-FOX will show up as a network drive. If it's a Mac or Linux, install nfs-utils.

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/betaftpd-new-ftp-server-package.1014/

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/content-sharing-101.9642/

Thanks both for the help.

1. I found out the ftp error was due to Windows blocking (which was now solved).
2. Following your advise, I can download the file thru the OPT+ option.
3. However, I could not map network drive. When I tried, I got an error like this:

1634460277512.png

Are there any settings I should have done?

Thanks, Nick.

Reading your link a bit more, I guess I haven't got samba installed correctly. I have MOD_3.13 which should have included samba but when I go to "My Video" there are any "My Video/[ModSettings]/smb."

What I have missed?

I have MOD_3.13 which should have included samba
No packages are automatically included with the CF firmware update, you have to configure it to your requirements. When you installed WebIF (from the installation screen) it only installed its dependencies to give you the basic Web Interface with no additional functionality.

WebIF >> Package Management >> Available >> samba >> Install

This is basic stuff. See https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/quick-start-guide.1301/#post-28409

Thanks all for your help. I have had a mixed success.

I can upload video files via ftp and on WebIF download video files to PC.

But I cannot mount HRD as one of the windows drive (for drag and drop).

This is what I have done since I was given the HRD Fox T2 a week ago (that's why I did not grasp the basics):
1. install CF MOD_3.13
2. install auto-unprotect, virtual-disk2, network-shares-automount and samba
3. check and confirm SMBv1 enabled
4. When open windows explorer, I can see the Humax icon but clicking on it will return error saying the network path could not be found.
5. When performing diagnostics, Windows reported that the Humax did not accept SMB protocol
6. reboot everything and the problem remains.

I googled and so far could not find any instructions I could follow to solve this. Any ideas what I have missed?

Thanks,
N

virtual-disk2, network-shares-automount
These are irrelevant to what you have told us so far.

check and confirm SMBv1 enabled
How exactly did you do that? What version of Windows are you using?

When open windows explorer, I can see the Humax icon but clicking on it will return error saying the network path could not be found.
That could be the DLNA server. Windows can be very awkward, frankly, and I think that will be where the problem lies.

Thanks for the tips:

1. Checked and confirmed Samba is enabled.
2. SMB1 is enabled by using "Get-WindowsOptionalFeature" command and the result is:

FeatureName : SMB1Protocol
DisplayName : SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support
Description : Support for the SMB 1.0/CIFS file sharing protocol, and the Computer Browser protocol.
RestartRequired : Possible
State : Enabled

3. Windows version:
Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎14/‎03/‎2021
OS build 19042.1288
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

N

Dunno then. We need somebody with more computer knowledge than me, eg @prpr, to offer some diagnostics.

You could try specifically mapping a network drive to a drive letter, the setup process walks you through the access parameters.

Since you have Win 10 Pro you also have the option of using NFS for file sharing - an option not available on Win 10 Home

I was using Samba for a long time until for some unknown, windows related, reason it stopped working and I have not yet found a solution
There is also a Samba 3 version available in beta test - you would need to install the opkg-beta package and read the discussion in the Beta Packages forum section

Thanks MymsMan - do you have any instructions of how NFS can be used? Do I need to install SambaV3 for that? Thanks

do you have any instructions of how NFS can be used?
It's the Network File System used by Linux-type computers, separate from and nothing to do with SMB. I didn't know Microsoft had made it available in Windows. So far as I know, simply install the nfs-utils* package and the HDR-FOX file system should become discoverable on the network by NFS protocol. Whether is actually will is another matter; we can help you with configuring the HDR-FOX but the configuration of your computer is down to you.

* You don't need samba installed to use NFS.

I was using Samba for a long time until for some unknown, windows related, reason it stopped working and I have not yet found a solution
Like I said, Windows can be bloody awkward at times.

Is this a new thing for Win10? I've been using NFS for filesharing across the local network ever since Msoft introduced it for Windows. nfs-utils was then developed to allow linux access to NFS filesystems (which Msoft were doing their best not to share). My wife has Win10 Home and is using NFS for filesharing across the network with my Linux systems, some of which have NFS filesystems mounted.

Is this a new thing for Win10?
Is what a new thing? NFS?
I've been using NFS for filesharing across the local network ever since Msoft introduced it for Windows.
Huh? How can you have been using it if you were just asking if it was a new thing?
nfs-utils was then developed to allow linux access to NFS filesystems (which Msoft were doing their best not to share).
Are you confusing NTFS and NFS? What you wrote makes absolutely no sense.

Back