Firmware update and package installation.

fireman

I have a HDR Fox t2 without an internet connection. I put the new CF 1.03.12 mod 3.13 onto a USB stick and updated the machine. Everything seemed to go alright but when I have checked the system menu it still shows a date of 2014 and not 2017 as I expected. I cannot see any mention of a 3.13 modification.
In case it had gone OK I then placed various packages on the USB stick and inserted that into the machine. When I checked the logfile it reads as follows

Preparing package auto-unprotect_2.0.2_mipsel.opk
Preparing package fan_1.0.0_mipsel.opk
Preparing package ntfs-3g_2013.1.13-2_mipsel.opk
Starting installation...
Installing auto-unprotect (2.0.2) to root...
Installing fan (1.0.0) to root...
Installing ntfs-3g (2013.1.13-2) to root...
Collected errors:
* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for auto-unprotect:
* busybox * inotify-tools * hmt * recmon (>= 2.0.7) * webif (>= 1.2.4) *
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package auto-unprotect.
* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for fan:
* multienv (>= 1.6) * webif (>= 1.0.6) *
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package fan.
* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for ntfs-3g:
* busybox * fuse *
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package ntfs-3g.
Finished installation...

This seems to show that the packages have not been installed.
I must be doing something wrong but don't know what.
Any help would be appreciated.

I must be doing something wrong but don't know what.
Not necessarily, but...
Any help would be appreciated.
The main thing is to find out what you are hoping to achieve, then we can help explain what to do in order to achieve those goals. The custom firmware is most useful when used in conjunction with a network and web browser.

The fan package, for example, will be of no use unless it is configured, which requires the Web Interface installed and access via a network connection.

One reason for the dependency problems is the CF packages have moved on and may be no longer able to stand alone. Installing using the Internet is much preferred, because all those things will be resolved.

Everything seemed to go alright but when I have checked the system menu it still shows a date of 2014 and not 2017 as I expected. I cannot see any mention of a 3.13 modification.
That is correct. From Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click):
The Custom Firmware does not interfere with the normal day-to-day operation of the HD/HDR-FOX, and you will see no difference to the user interface on the TV screen
With a complete installation and access to the WebIF, you will get something like this:

1617636761245.png

(Note that 3.14 is in beta testing at the moment, and not formally released)

Last edited:
I just want to be able to decript the HD files so that I can hopefully transfer them onto a 5000T machine. This may not be possible but I would still like to know what I am doing wrong.

You need to add the missing packages to your USB stick. It's much easier if you connect it to a network with internet access.

Unfortunately I cannot do that. What packages would I need to put on the stick and how would I access them on the t2 when they had been installed.

I just want to be able to decript the HD files
Okay, so you need auto-unprotect (so that HiDef recordings get decrypted on copy to USB), but you could get away without ntfs-3g by using the HDR-FOX to format the UPD as Ext3. You don't need fan.

hopefully transfer them onto a 5000T machine
I think we need to check whether the 5000T will be able to import/play the files even if available to it (try the 5000T section of the forum).

What packages would I need to put on the stick
The ones the report says it needs:
  • satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for auto-unprotect:
  • busybox * inotify-tools * hmt * recmon (>= 2.0.7) * webif (>= 1.2.4) *
  • opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package auto-unprotect.
  • satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for ntfs-3g:
  • busybox * fuse *
  • opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package ntfs-3g.
However, it will be an avalanche because trying to install, say webif will have a load of other dependencies (and I'm not clear why webif is a dependency of auto-unprotect anyway).

how would I access them on the t2 when they had been installed.
auto-unprotect and ntfs-3g "just work" without any intervention. fan doesn't.

Unfortunately I cannot do that
I never like to say "don't do it that way", but honestly CF has outgrown being used without a network and all your difficulties will disappear. It used to be reasonable maybe 8 years ago, the problem now being that the development no longer gives that much consideration (if any). What is the impediment? There are ways and means.

With the HDR-FOX and 5000T networked, you might be able to access recordings directly.

Thanks for the trouble you have taken. I will have to look into the ways that I can connect the t2 to the net.

I have the internet, but the router is too far away for an ethernet cable. I do not have a wifi dongle, which the t2 will recognise. I may have to get some powerline adapters.

No. I thought I had been explicit:
The Custom Firmware does not interfere with the normal day-to-day operation of the HD/HDR-FOX, and you will see no difference to the user interface on the TV screen
The only aspects of CF use suitable for use without networking are fit-and-forget.

Can I then access all the facilities without a continuing connection to the net?
You said earlier that all you wanted was to decrypt HD files and you could do that without an ongoing network connection once you have got the custom firmware installed and configured.

Back