[foxlink] Simple way to link a HD to a HDR.

If this is your first decrypt, you can expect it to take a while. At a guess, it will only process a few tens of gigabytes an hour.

How long should a recursive decrypt take on a 1tb drive with about 700gb used? Ever since I set this up yesterday that hard drive has been hammering away non stop. Turned it off at 11 for bedtime and back on today. Noise is even worse today.

You can run the diagnostic 'encsummary' to check on the progress (in terms of numbers of files decrypted/encrypted)

Yes Black Hole, first decrypt and I suppose I have a lot of stuff there as I use the humax as a 3rd backup for my files until I get a nas.
Laptop/1tb usb drive/humax.

Sceptic, shows this:
Encrypted: 643
Decrypted: 343
Total: 986

Version 1.0.1 is in the repository now. - it can be installed on a slave HDR now.
The zeroconf idea isn't working so far..

I've tried to link my 2 HDRs together. I want to see the media of HDR(A) on HDR(B). I've installed the nfs-utils package on the HDR(A) and the new version of the foxlink package on the HDR(B). (I use the "A" and "B" as I'm not sure on the correct client/slave terminology)

I've set recursive decrypt on the media top folder of HDR(A). After leaving the HDR(A) on all night and using "encsummary" diagnostic this morning all the files are decrypted.

Whatever I do (after reboots etc) I cannot get any link to appear on the HDR(B). I've looked in the media explorer and in the media (yellow button) and network (blue) (all I get is the DNLA media server).

In fact when I reboot the settings in WebIF for the foxlink have disappeared i.e. not saved (i did use the save settings as I've repeated the process).

Any ideas? It is quite possible I've done something stupid. (e.g. mis-understood that the package is set-up yet for this purpose). Thanks

Try installing virtual-disk2 on HDR(B). Without that, the link won't appear when you press the media/storage button. Hopefully that's all you're missing. (It isn't required on the HD which is why it isn't mentioned in the notes, yet!)

HDR(A) is the server, HDR(B) is the client.

To access the network mount from B, you must use the Media >> Storage (blue) >> USB list (not Network), and have a real USB drive or stick plugged in (or be running the virtual-disk2 package).

Brilliant. That must have been it as it now works and appears under the USB storage. Thanks af123.

I have a 1Tb USB drive on the HDR(A) that is mounted as a folder using mvdisks (I use it to store films etc). Using the above foxlink etc I can see the folder but not the contents. I assume this is a step too far? I'm not complaining! what the foxlink etc gives me is brilliant.

I don't know the consequences of mvdisks, but without it the external drive would appear in the mount (presuming foxlink accesses the top of the server's tree, the way I do with automount).

It is an NFS feature. The server will not export mounts that appear under an exported mount by default. In order to make the external disk visible on the client the server would have to include it in its export list and the client would have to make an additional mount. This is currently beyond the scope of the "simple" foxlink package.

Try installing virtual-disk2 on HDR(B). Without that, the link won't appear when you press the media/storage button. Hopefully that's all you're missing. (It isn't required on the HD which is why it isn't mentioned in the notes, yet!)

Notes in WiKi HERE, now mention virtual-disk2

I have two Humax HDR connected via wifi. I have installed fox link in the last 2 days. I have noticed in the morning when I get up one box is 'frozen' I have to unplug it.

My broadband ip changes every day. If I leave my computer connected to the router for >24 hours it will not connect to the internet as my broadband assigns a new ip every day. I have set the router to reset every day and that was the exact time (as seen on the Humax screen saver) that the box froze.

It is as if it was stuck in a loop trying to connect to the local network and did not realize the local network had been reset.

My broadband ip changes every day. If I leave my computer connected to the router for >24 hours it will not connect to the internet as my broadband assigns a new ip every day. I have set the router to reset every day
That all sounds a bit odd; what make and model of router.?

I have a timer on the router plug and it is set to turn off for 5 min every day. When it turns on it reconnectsto broadband. SO not routerproblem.

Resetting your router every day is very unusual, but it is not unusual for your IP address (to the outside world) to change. It should not matter, because the router converts the external IP address to an internal local address on your home network.

Again, even if you are resetting the router, there is no need for the IP addresses to change internally. You can either configure your devices with manually assigned addresses, or (preferred) set up pre-assigned addresses in your router that are allocated every time there is a DHCP request.

Resetting your router like this may degrade your broadband speed.

The IP addresses dont change internally as they are reserved / specified via mac addresses from the router. Each time they connect to the network they are assigned the same address.

I noticed this problem first last night when the screen saver froze at the exact time the router is set to power down. Then I discovered the previous night a recording was interrupted and stopped and the time of the interruption corresponds to when the power was cut from the router.

What happens when others have their boxes linked via fox link and they switch off the router for a minute or two. Does it happen only to me or only when fox link is used over wifi?

Nothing should happen if the network link between the boxes is not in active use, it should just sit there and take no notice of a network outage.

Note I do not use foxlink myself, but the mechanisms should be the same as network-shares-automount, unless af is playing with mount names instead of absolute IP addresses.

Still worried about you having to reset your router though!

The box just crashed when I switched it on this morning. the first time I seen that in 18 months. On the orange front panel it had a Crash / restart countdown and restarted.

I have removed foxlink, rebooted box, reinstalled foxlink, and rebooted. Seems to be working ok now.

I am going to try reproduce the problem by reseting the router (powering it off) whilst both boxes are linked via fox link. Here goes.

Yes same thing happens. Initially after router reboots the box is responsive and I went into settings on one box checked if wifi connection was active but it wasnt yet. Then checked the other box and it was not responding and when I then checked with the first box it had stopped responding. (still decoding live TV though). It seems the problem may be when the boxes is trying to reestablish the wifi connection. Perhaps if Foxlink was automatically deactivated before wifi connection and then restarted after connection confirmed it may fix this.

Now going to powerdown both boxes (plug them out as even blue button reset not responding).

I have wifi tools installed so I dont have to manually connect to wifi. Maybe in its next update it could check if foxlink set up before attempting to connect to wifi, deactivate it then reactivate it when wifi link established ?

Also I have just noticed when the Humax in the kitchen goes in to standby when not being used the HDR in the TV room (fox linked with kitchen) then becomes unresponsive. As said earlier both these boxes are connected to the network by WIFI only. This may not happen if ethernet connection is used.

Back