Foxsat HDD replacement

JohnRT

The HDD of my Foxsat HDR has just failed, can anyonbe advise the best replacement now, AV drives apear hard to find in 2024
JohnRT

SATA1? OK, that will be a jumper setting on the HDD.
...but I have also stated modern HDDs don't have jumpers!

I am unable to find any information about reducing the speed from 3Gb/s (SATA2) to 1.5Gb/s (SATA1) on a SkyHawk. Unhelpfully, Seagate FAQs recommend changing the motherboard! They say the Barracuda range have a jumper, but that's not a PVR drive.

I don't think so; I think you need a utility that you can download from the Seagate web site.
I am unable to confirm.

@JohnRT : I recommend you hold fire until you/we positively confirm the SkyHawk can be configured for SATA I.

Update: I am still unable to confirm. This may need an enquiry direct to Seagate.

Last edited:
I think that's unlikely. You may have your SATA versions mixed up, confusing the situation.

I am unable to find any information about reducing the speed from 3Gb/s (SATA2) to 1.5Gb/s (SATA1) on a SkyHawk. Unhelpfully, Seagate FAQs recommend changing the motherboard! They say the Barracuda range have a jumper, but that's not a PVR drive.
This simply adds to the confusion.

You will need to reduce the SATA speed to get it to work in a FOXSAT.
Thanks Black Hole, I' take your advice and go for the Skyhawk
The Skyhawk is a current generation drive, so a speed reduction (if available) will most likely drop it from SATA3.x to SATA2.x. I think this should suit the Foxsat.

I am not convinced.

My understanding is that SATA3 (6Gb/s) is backward-compatible with SATA2 (3Gb/s), so SATA3 drives will automatically fall back to SATA2 when necessary. The datasheet for the HDR-FOX OEM drive Seagate Pipeline ST3500312CS says "SATA 3Gb/s".

Yes the SkyHawk is SATA3, but that's not a problem for the SATA2 HDR-FOX.

Therefore, if the Foxsat had a SATA2 interface, that would not be a problem either. I don't personally know whether the Foxsat is limited to SATA1, but on the basis of the logic presented above,
...implies SATA1 (and it would not surprise me, the Foxsat is a more elderly design than the HDR-FOX).

What is the OEM drive for the Foxsat?

This simply adds to the confusion.
Perhaps it's you adding to the confusion.

Perhaps it's you adding to the confusion.
No. It's you.

Post #4 suggests
Which, if you consider the current generation of drives implies a speed reduction down to SATA2.

Until you mentioned it at post #5, I don't think SATA1 was mentioned.

Anyway, I think this may be of some help

What is the OEM drive for the Foxsat?
These are from the SMART output on boxes I have access to:
Code:
Model Family:     Seagate Pipeline HD 5900.2
Device Model:     ST3500312CS
SATA Version is:  SATA 2.6, 3.0 Gb/s (current: 1.5 Gb/s)

Model Family:     Seagate Pipeline HD 5900.1
Device Model:     ST3320310CS
SATA Version is:  SATA 2.6, 3.0 Gb/s
Surprised the first one is different to the second in terms of speed. I wonder if there is a jumper on the former.

Which, if you consider the current generation of drives implies a speed reduction down to SATA2.
Are you saying SATA3 is not backwards-compatible with SATA2? If so, how do you explain fitting SATA3 into a HDR-FOX without any of these problems?

They may be a misunderstanding there somewhere. Prior to my first post on this thread you mention....
Check out the HDR-FOX section of the forum for advice on that, it will be the same.

I am unable to confirm.

@JohnRT : I recommend you hold fire until you/we positively confirm the SkyHawk can be configured for SATA I.

Update: I am still unable to confirm. This may need an enquiry direct to Seagate.

So first one mentions use same drive as per another Humax - the HDR Fox T2? Which may be misleading as that device is more forgiving in the type of drive it can use.

You then suggest setting a new drive to SATA1, which I thought was odd/unnecessary as the Foxsat sometimes prefer SATA2 drive.

What I mean is -
for the Foxsat use a SATA3 drive to see if it works, if not then see if you can set it to SATA2 to improve compatibility.
For the HDR Fox T2 just use a SATA3 or SATA2 drive as it is.
I don't mention a SATA1 drive as they're not available new or the capacity may be limited/not worth the trouble.

Last edited:
Yes, this:

ML didn't bother to specify exactly what he meant, so is it unreasonable to infer what I did?
So did you read that as
reduce to SATA2 or
reduce to SATA1?
I read it as the former, maybe you read it as the latter?

A SATA3 drive should "plug and play" on SATA2, so the only need to make a specific speed reduction is to SATA1.
Anyway, I don't think you can reduce a SATA3 down 2 steps to SATA1. The compatibility setting/jumper only reduces it down by 1 step. So it'll only do SATA3 to SATA2 or SATA2 to SATA1, depending upon the drive model.

So did you read that as
reduce to SATA2 or
reduce to SATA1?
Reduce to SATA1, obviously, because there's no need to reduce to SATA2! It's backwards compatible! Plug a SATA3 drive into a SATA2 controller and it just works!

(In fact, I've even seen mention that it will fall back to SATA1 if necessary.)

If it doesn't work, then either the drive manufacturer has disobeyed the SATA specification, or the controller is not compliant with the SATA specification.

I am not convinced.
I have seen multiple posts from different users about modern drives not working in a FOXSAT HDR out of the box.

Here is a precis of a recent post from user Dean123 over at myhumax.org

One of the Foxsat-HDR boxes was upgraded with a 1TB HDD - a Samsung HD103UJ - back in 2018. Although not ideal as it's not a AV rated drive, it was a spare drive from an old computer and lasted well until Christmas Eve when the box refused to boot. What a time to go! It displayed an error message something like "HDD is not formatted. Formatting will start". As I wanted to keep the old recordings I powered off and did not format the disk.

So, after reading the forums, it was 50/50 whether to go for the latest Seagate Skyhawk model (ST1000VX013) or the latest WD Purple model (WD11PURZ).

In the end I bought the ST1000VX013 from ebuyer for £46 and it arrived the next day.

Installed new HDD in Foxsat box and powered on. Box said something like "HDD not recognised".

After reading forum comments I downloaded SeaChest tools from the SeaGate website and used the

--phySpeed 2

option to reduce the maximum speed from 6 Gbps to 3 Gbps.
Are you sure that it is me confusing things?

Back