FOXSAT-HDR transferring recorded programmes - how?

It's nice to see a replacement forum and also to see some familiar names again - well done everyone involved!

Graham said

"Of the free media players Splash Lite is the best I have found that will work to play these recordings on a PC with limited processing power."

My experience - I have transferred a few BBC HiDef files to my PC (WinXP), using a FAT 32 Hard Drive and installed Splash Lite Free on the PC.
But Splash Lite seems unable to open any of them, giving the error "Failed to open input file"
Has anyone any thoughts about this, please?

Apart from that, when trying to play standard Xvid avis, Splash Lite is displaying a very flickery double display in the upper half of the screen and Windows Media Player Series 9, which until now was working perfectly, has taken to doing exactly the same thing since installing Splash Lite!

The VLC player still works normally, thank goodness.
Again, any comments or insight would be very welcome.

It's nice to see a replacement forum and also to see some familiar names again - well done everyone involved!

Graham said

My experience - I have transferred a few BBC HiDef files to my PC (WinXP), using a FAT 32 Hard Drive and installed Splash Lite Free on the PC.
But Splash Lite seems unable to open any of them, giving the error "Failed to open input file"
Has anyone any thoughts about this, please?

Apart from that, when trying to play standard Xvid avis, Splash Lite is displaying a very flickery double display in the upper half of the screen and Windows Media Player Series 9, which until now was working perfectly, has taken to doing exactly the same thing since installing Splash Lite!

The VLC player still works normally, thank goodness.
Again, any comments or insight would be very welcome.

Strange, Splash lite works flawlessly on my Win 7 premuim 32 bit laptop and my somewhat ancient XP SP2 desktop. Sounds like a codec issue. Have you tried customer support or the forum

http://mirillis.com/en/support/customer_support.html

Only used it for .ts HD files and HD WMV files though

There's a screen capture of Dr Who from Xmas using Splash Pro which has the snapshot capability

http://www.4shared.com/photo/MmMQ_P9y/Doctor_Who_20101225_1800ts__0_.html

Strange, Splash lite works flawlessly on my Win 7 premuim 32 bit laptop and my somewhat ancient XP SP2 desktop. Sounds like a codec issue. Have you tried customer support or the forum

http://mirillis.com/en/support/customer_support.html

Thanks, Graham.
I haven't seen anything like this mentioned in their forum so I will probably try their customer support.
I have installed the 30-day trial of Splash Pro and the flickering has now gone, from both Splash and WMP playback of avis. But I still can't open a Hi Def .ts file from Foxsat.
I'll also try installing Splash on a couple of other PCs to see how they handle HiDef. ts files.

Thanks, Graham.
I haven't seen anything like this mentioned in their forum so I will probably try their customer support.
I have installed the 30-day trial of Splash Pro and the flickering has now gone, from both Splash and WMP playback of avis. But I still can't open a Hi Def .ts file from Foxsat.
I'll also try installing Splash on a couple of other PCs to see how they handle HiDef. ts files.

If it's a non-freesat recording try editing the entire filename to something else and the extension to mts. Recording non-freesat adds some odd non printing characters that Windows apps don't like

They are all BBC HiDef . I haven't looked at Non-Freesat yet, but thanks for the tip when I get round to trying that :)

They are all BBC HiDef . I haven't looked at Non-Freesat yet, but thanks for the tip when I get round to trying that :)
Try changing the file extension to .mts (they are really AVCHD format files). If that does not work open the .ts file in Tsmuxergui and try remuxing to .mts format.

I am assuming that they are BBC1-HD recordings made since Nov 2010. All the others are encrypted.

Argghhh! The penny eventually dropped!
I tried renaming and I tried Tsmuxergui, all to no avail.

Eventually realised that I had not picked up on the critical point that it was only BBC ONE Hi Def that was not encrypted and it has taken me until now to notice that these few Hi Def recordings WERE encrypted and this because they were from BBC HD channel and NOT BBC 1.

How embarrassing!!!!

But thanks for all the tips, Graham :)

I made sure I had a BBC ONE Hi Def (Silent Witness) last night and can happily confirm that Splash Pro DID play that!
Now all I need is an editor to strip the garbage off start and end and a means to compress it a bit.

I made sure I had a BBC ONE Hi Def (Silent Witness) last night and can happily confirm that Splash Pro DID play that!
Now all I need is an editor to strip the garbage off start and end and a means to compress it a bit.

Videoredo tvsuite (h264 version) will do the job very easily (it's not free). TSmuxergui will if you are prepared to mess a bit. Sure there are other free utilities that will work.

In the end, I wonder if it's worth the bother of re-compressing these HD files, the picture quality must surely suffer. If one really must archive TV programmes, perhaps one would do just as well to record the SD versions for that purpose and keep the files as they are. Big hard drives are cheap these days and the SD files are easily converted to .ps format and can then be edited if necessary using free apps. For the sake of experiment, I did eventually manage to get Auto GK to work using XVID codec, but the result wasn't clever and took forever to encode.

In the end, I wonder if it's worth the bother of re-compressing these HD files, the picture quality must surely suffer. If one really must archive TV programmes, perhaps one would do just as well to record the SD versions for that purpose and keep the files as they are

It's a very fair question/comment, which I've asked myself several times, recently.

I've been producing and archiving good quality, XVid compressed TV Documentaries for several years.
Over the last year or so, I've been comparing the video quality of my SD sourced recodes directly with other people's recodes based on Hi Def sourced recordings of the very same programs. Yes, Hi Def recodes do experience some detail loss compared with the original Hi Def source. However, they are definitely better quality than recodes based on SD sources and, I think, better than uncompressed SD files. It's a very personal opinion, of course, but I reckon that, for valued subject matter, higher definition recodes are worth pursuing. I certainly wouldn't bother for the average movie or TV sit com, but, best quality wild life docus are worth it - for me. :)

I agree, for those who enjoy well produced wild life programmes the files are certainly worth archiving and I think that in this case, it wouldn't be out of the way to pay for a commercial software that does the job properly and easily.

With 1TB usb drives now well below £50.00 why bother. Assuming BBC-HD is around 10mbps average that's about 4.5GB/hr or in total about 22o hrs of programmes. If you connect a EXT3 drive in a drop in cradle to the rear usb port you can go on archiving for ever if you wish just by dropping in a new drive when the old ones full.

Well, I certainly wouldn't bother, although storing the files as they are does preclude any editing. I've used Sony Vegas HD 9.0 for creating videos for Youtube, but even that won't open any kind of .ts file. The other advantage of saving the files as they are is that they can be read directly by the Humax box.

Well, I certainly wouldn't bother, although storing the files as they are does preclude any editing. I've used Sony Vegas HD 9.0 for creating videos for Youtube, but even that won't open any kind of .ts file. The other advantage of saving the files as they are is that they can be read directly by the Humax box.

Editing is not a problem if you need to assuming the content is not encrypted and simply wan't to cut out bits, connect the drive to a PC. Load the .ts file edit it with Videoredo Tvsuite. Write a new copy using AV2HDR and delete the old version. Very surprised you can't open .ts files in Vegas 9. Try changing the file extention . .mpg for SD footage and .mts for HD. Other than that remux using tsmuxergui.

If there is anything particular I want to keep. Take the 4 nativity episodes in HD transmitted over Xmas. Topped and tailed them using videoredo. Added first to TsmuxerGui. Joined the rest.

Created AVCHD folder using tsmuxer.

Created AVCHD iso image using IMGburn

Thanks to no-rerendering above processes took only a minute or so.

Burnt the image to a DVD dual layer blank with IMGburn. Plays on pretty well any bluray player.

For more serious full on editing Magix Edit Pro 17 plus does the business for me :)

Yes, I did try different extensions, no go. Having said that, the version of Vegas that I have is not up to date, perhaps..... Nope, Vegas is up to date, still no go

I use KM Player a lot and that plays these .ts HD files rather nicely too and has lots of adjustments to play with. One has to activate de-interlacing and re-sizing, though.

This is an interesting thread but has anyone tried to access the media through eithernet? Smart TVs PCs?

Back