Free (or cheap) software you really love

You just can't trust an automated install these days. I always go for a customized one even if it only confirms the installation directory.

Ditto. Always.

If the Android ads are annoying and it's an offline thing like most games I just stick it in Airplane Mode (usually need to restart the app too if it was already running).

I don't think anybody has mentioned my tool-of-choice for audio work: Audacity. I prefer "portable" versions if available (Audacity has one) - settings etc are stored in Win3-style ini files held in the program folder instead of the bloody Registry.

If Handbrake can pass as "cheap", my graphics tool is CorelDRAW! (much better than anything else I have tried, but you tend to prefer the one you are used to) - I know it doesn't even scrape "moderate", but I bought a graphics tablet I don't need for £35, specifically because it came bundled with an OEM copy of CorelDRAW! Essentials.

Google Drive, of course! 15Gb free storage.
But now, in reaction to someone using the 2Gb storage dropbox, I have discovered Copy. Anyone else tried this? Another 15Gb of cloud storage, free!

https://www.copy.com/home/

Last edited by a moderator:
Google Drive, of course! 15Gb free storage.
Hmm. Google, as in "we'll let you search for stuff, store stuff, do all sorts of stuff, for free, as long as you don't object to us rifling your content and serving up adverts at every possible opportunity"?

Now't wrong with Dropbox, especially if one's been using it since before Google Drive came along (and as some people have found, even Google gets shirty if there is too much downloading going on).

Request for Software Recommendation

I'm looking for some free software to watermark images.

I have various image sizes and need the software to apply a watermark proportionally.

It only has to be text but due to the number of images I have I need it to just work on a folder without any intervention.

Portable would be a definite bonus.

ian_j, you don't say whether you want a visible or invisible watermark.

Invisible watermarks can be removed by simply editing and saving a photo.

Almost any image software can add a visible watermark. If you want free and batch, Gimp is free and there is a plugin for batch watermarking:

http://registry.gimp.org/node/21834

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking for a visual watermark.

I like the look of the Visual Watermark output but as this is a one-off use I really wanted something free.

I tried gimp but couldn't get on with it but if it can watermark the images I'll give it another go.

I've just discovered KC3.exe - it's a (free) croquet simulator that runs under Windows. It's a bit clunky, but if you want to find out what croquet is all about (and it's a damn sight more interesting than its popular image - like a mash up of crown green bowls, billiards, and snooker) it provides an opportunity to have a go without having to hunt down a croquet club and some decent weather.

To make the most of it you need to get your head around Association Croquet rules first (Association mind, not American or Golf or any of the other weird and wonderful variations), and there is some video on YouTube (but again beware of version).

The AI players are not up to much though - clever though it is to code them at all, even at my beginner level I have no trouble winning. It would be different on a real court, when not only do you have to make the appropriate shot selection, you also need the skill to pull it off. What it provides is an insight into play without the limitations of being crap!

Back