Freeview Channel Update Info

Because similar programs performing the same function work in the "expected" manner.
The "expected manner" tends to be determined by which version of "correct" you are, currently, most used to

I spend the first few days in a hire car signalling turns by wiping the windscreen and then doing the same when I get home again.

A friend of mine in a hire car was cut up by another car and furiously washed her windscreen at him! :D

I had a run-in with a guy who signalled the opposite of what he meant. Turned out he was used to the indicator stalk being on the other side of the steering column, and hadn't made the connection it's clockwise for right and anticlockwise for left (he thought it was up for one way and down for the other).

Yes, "expected manner" is subjective, and although moving the viewport seems to be the de facto standard, where is it specified as an actual standard?

I would expect moving the top of the wheel away from you should zoom in. If it zoomed out I'd be a bit discombobulated.
For me, it's the opposite. Google Maps (web version) is a push away to zoom in, and I find that counter-intuitive.

People still use mice? :D
Took me ages to move from command line to gui and talking to the computer with a mouse. I'm used to that now. Damned tracking pads and touch screens - I hate them. Touch screens I really hate because I don't like grubby finger marks and other detritus blocking my view. It's bad enough navigating through all my eye floaters without the other muck. :geek:

Touch screens and swiping is a natural UI for tablets and smart-phones, not so desktops etc where really you want the screen at arm's length (ie out of comfortable reach) and monitors normally have anti-reflective rather than Gorilla Glass screens. So far as I am concerned, that was why the original roll-out of Win10 was such an abortion.

So far as viewport v document goes, I see no reason there shouldn't be a setting to make it user choice (except that nobody has thought of it, the arrogant view that "my way is the normal way" being de rigueur.

...based on a sample of one.

At one time, there was a certainty that all swans were white, and total incredulity there existed any black swans. It's an innate characteristic of the human mind, to some extent combatted by broadening ones horizons.

Okay, I'll bite. I don't have an Android phone. What happens if you connect a mouse to the phone?

As I happen to have a Bluetooth mouse (and an Android phone), I just tried it - you get an on-screen arrow cursor and can operate the UI with it (just like on a desktop). The cursor vanishes if you leave it stationary long enough.

Works on the iPad too - where the cursor is a round dot (and also vanishes). Right-click is (almost) the same as long-touch.

What happens if you connect a mouse to the phone?

Two mice meet and start chatting​

“Look”, says one after a while, “I’ve got a new boyfriend” and shows a picture on the mobile phone.

“OMG”, cries the other mouse, “that’s a bat”.

“What? The guy told me he was a pilot!”

Back