Freezes When Viewing EPG

Martin

Usually once a day my Foxsat HDR freezes when viewing the EPG, total lock-up, pressing any buttons on the remote or the front of the Humax box get no response, even the standby button does not respond. The only way I can get it to work is to power down completely either by unplugging from the mains or using the power switch at the back.
Anyone else getting this? Or any ideas why it's happening?

I have a theory. Can you for a while not press the guide button. Instead access the epg by pressing the remote button labelled schedule and then the red button. Can you post if you get any further lock ups or not ?

The few lockups I have had seem to coincide with viewing the EPG just as recordings are due to end or start.

Usually once a day my Foxsat HDR freezes when viewing the EPG, total lock-up, pressing any buttons on the remote or the front of the Humax box get no response, even the standby button does not respond. The only way I can get it to work is to power down completely either by unplugging from the mains or using the power switch at the back.
Anyone else getting this? Or any ideas why it's happening?

Our Foxsat HDR has suffered with the same problem; haven't worked out why yet. Seems to have started about a month ago. It's an early box [about three years old] but it's using the latest firmware from late Autumn.

Our Foxsat HDR has suffered with the same problem; haven't worked out why yet. Seems to have started about a month ago. It's an early box [about three years old] but it's using the latest firmware from late Autumn.

The usual cure for the epg problem is do a freesat tune exit after and don't save the results. Avoid pressing the guide button (at least until Humax identify and fix the bug). Access the epg by pressing the remote schedule button and then red. This avoids the box downloafing a whole new guide from scratch.

Tried for a week pressing Schedule and red to get the EPG and no lock-ups, went back to pressing Guide and locked up the first time!
Looks like another bug has surfaced since the last firmware update - ah well!

Tried for a week pressing Schedule and red to get the EPG and no lock-ups, went back to pressing Guide and locked up the first time!
Looks like another bug has surfaced since the last firmware update - ah well!

Keep pressing schedule and red :), you can continue watching your programme this way. Used this since 2008.

Keep pressing schedule and red :), you can continue watching your programme this way. Used this since 2008.

This is all very well, but Humax provided the Guide button for a reason and for the last 2 firmware updates has not worked as it should!
Clearly the firmware updates have not been "fit for purpose" and Humax should be fixing the problem.
If you had an elderly disabled father you would understand why it needs fixing, he cannot get out of the chair to power down the box when it does lockup and teaching him new ways to use it really does present a problem.

If you had an elderly disabled father you would understand why it needs fixing, he cannot get out of the chair to power down the box when it does lockup and teaching him new ways to use it really does present a problem.
I know this is a workaround on top of a workaround but how about one of those remote controlled adaptor sockets so your father can power cycle it from the comfort of his chair?

This is all very well, but Humax provided the Guide button for a reason and for the last 2 firmware updates has not worked as it should!
Clearly the firmware updates have not been "fit for purpose" and Humax should be fixing the problem.

Would you rather carry on using the box until Humax fix the problem or suffer the lockups. Just because I posted a pefectly workable workaround doesn't mean I don't think it doesn't need fixing. Would you rather I had not posted :(

If the box happens to be recording then pressing guide is equivalent to schedule/red anyway.

Been having this problem for a few months now & having to reboot but today it froze & powering off & on didn't work, it came on after displaying reboot for a few minutes in it's frozen state, it displays the correct time when it does come on but then doesn't move from that time. Any ideas apart from binning it, guarantee ran out 2 month ago, anyone else had this escalation of the problem:mad:

I'm still using a "Sched+Red" workaround macro programmed into my learning remote on it's Guide button. This dates from the problems that the last firmware update was supposed to cure, I never undid it after the "fix". Had no problems at all here.

Mine too, it's really irritating, especially as I have arthritis and have to get on my hands and knees to power off. I think mine began two or three months ago and I'd love to know whether Humax know about this problem. This is the first time I've looked to see if anyone else has the same problem and it is somewhat reassuring that it's not just my box doing this. I couldn't find a direct mail or whatever to inform Humax, does anyone know if they're aware of this fault?

Mine too, it's really irritating, especially as I have arthritis and have to get on my hands and knees to power off. I think mine began two or three months ago and I'd love to know whether Humax know about this problem. This is the first time I've looked to see if anyone else has the same problem and it is somewhat reassuring that it's not just my box doing this. I couldn't find a direct mail or whatever to inform Humax, does anyone know if they're aware of this fault?

There's a fix on the Humax beta software site.

http://beta.humaxonline.co.uk/downloads/foxsat-hdr

I have arthritis and have to get on my hands and knees to power off
While not an answer to the substantive problem you could fit a remote controlled power plug to the Foxsat to save having to scrabble around on the floor to power cycle.

In that case use the schedule/red approach instead until the new firmware is included. There's no real reason why this should not be used all the time.

Actually, there is. If you have a universal remote control, programming Schedule+red onto its guide button works fine to start the Guide, but that doesn't turn the guide off. I don't fancy teaching everyone here to press Exit to get out. Theoretically, yellow+Schedule+red+red should work, so long as no channels respond to Yellow. Haven't tried it yet. :)

I am a bit confused about the custom firmware. Initially it was just meant to replace the relevant bits, according to its documentation, but does it replace everything now?

It is more the way that each version of the official firmware needs to have the modifications maded to add its customised functionality. At a guess theses are embedded changes (*) to known sections of code which can move around a little from version to version rather than being total bolt ons in the manner of TAPs for the Topfield range of PVRs.

(*) Or the hooks which link to the customising code.

Back