FVP-4000T my 2 Cents

Just retuned mine last night and it still loses all the series links
Wonder why mine behaves differently?

I also noticed now if you press the record button from within the guide it now gives you the choice of one time or series, instead of just setting one time record. That is just like the HDR-Fox T2 does (except via OK), so that is much better as it saves having to wait for the big clunky recording/info box to appear.

Also, there was some kind of retune the other night which amazingly didn't lose my timers or Favourites list. It kicked the Favourites off, but it didn't lose them so I just changed the group from TV to Favourite 1 and they were back again.

The box is getting better and better, the biggest issue for me is the speed of the menus. If that is ever sorted I will be very pleased.

My box retuned automatically so maybe that's the difference.

If you do a manual tune then it looks like it wipes everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the very detailed review :)

Sad to hear Humax's newer boxes have gone downhill & not maintaining or improving the high standards of their previous gen boxes :(

I think most of the negatives are going to frustrate me a lot (being a Sky+HD box user).

I *think* the newer boxes are probably improvements, in general, if you only consider the stock firmware. The reason we are so keen on HDR-FOX is because of our customisations, not Humax's slip-shod efforts (indeed, if they hadn't been so slip-shod, we might not have been able to customise...).

My box retuned automatically so maybe that's the difference.

If you do a manual tune then it looks like it wipes everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well my box displayed a message about New Network Found - Now Later last night, so I chose Now and sure enough it did a full retune and my timers/favourites were lost. So I have no idea what it was doing last week, maybe it tried and failed and thats why my favoutites were kicked off, but timers remained.

I like that it does wait for the user to say yes or no and not just do it without notice, therefore it gives the option to say no then make a note of timers before manually doing it.

Thank you for a useful thread. My HDR FOX T2 is in its last death throws (have spent most of the evening trying to rescue at least the SD recordings), so I am looking for a replacement. In general the 4000T doesn't seem to great reviews, although none of the bad reviewers ever say "I bought a XX instead, which is brilliant."

It's good to see that the EPG has been updated, as that seems to have come in for a lot of criticism, and thank you to whoever mentioned Favourites: on my T2 I have a favourites, which - most of the time - the Humax remembers, with the channels reordered so e.g. all the Channel 4 channels are together and all the Channel 5 channels are together. If it can actually remember favourites and programmned recordings after a retune, that is a major plus, as it's so annoying on my current Humax when a retune basically ends up like a factory reset.

Your HDR-FOX is not necessarily ready for the bin, depending what's actually wrong with it. If all it is is the HDD, we have remedies - and at worst all you need to do is replace the disk.

The custom firmware also offers many improvements regarding favourites, retuning, etc.

Quick Guide to Disk Recovery (click)

If it can actually remember favourites and programmned recordings after a retune, that is a major plus, as it's so annoying on my current Humax when a retune basically ends up like a factory reset.
There's been a few other posts, hummy.org, since the one earlier in this thread and my conclusion is that it does not, and that includes the most recent software update.
(Sorry have not time to look for links.)

Your HDR-FOX is not necessarily ready for the bin, depending what's actually wrong with it. If all it is is the HDD, we have remedies - and at worst all you need to do is replace the disk.

The custom firmware also offers many improvements regarding favourites, retuning, etc.
Yes, thanks, Black Hole. It is a hard disk failure: it now can't read it all and on booting goes straight to a "The HDD storage must be formatted to use recording functions. Press OK to go to the Data Storage menu" message. It's had probably four or five years of daily use, so not done so bad I suppose.

I might still try to find a suitable replacement disk, though choosing & buying the right hard disk seems even worse than buying an air ticket nowadays. But I'm getting jittery about doing without a recording device of some sort!
And I have to say 3 tuners in the 4000T is very attractive!

My HDR FOX T2 is in its last death throws...

... it's so annoying on my current Humax when a retune basically ends up like a factory reset.
It doesn't have to be, if you install packages such as disable-dso, auto-schedule-restore and tunefix on the T2.

Media Player doesn't work 1/10
29b7f3ac98cdcb0d0266aba709829a73.jpg

I have a 1 terabyte external USB drive and I keep all my media on it all my videos are on it all my music is on it and all my photos
The 4000 has a USB port and I was hoping I could just plug it in and watch all my media from the 4000 Unfortunately the 4000 won't play USB media doesn't recognise it after all which is a big minus

Sent from my GEM-702L using Tapatalk

I'm not certain that a huge picture of a Toshiba USB HDD enhances your post much other than to pad out a lot of screen real estate unnecessarily.

You can cast from the YouTube app on your phone to the 4000

dd7f7434d18bf4f344eeae70a8b4349c.jpg

And when it works it's fantastic because youtube clips and now a lot of high definition and the sound quality is As Good as It Gets and my 4000 is connected to my hi-fi and to a 50 inch screen so the net result is brilliant and we use it all the time to stream music videos through the 4000
Unfortunately it sometimes seems to lose connection so the 4000 does not appear in the Casting options the other thing is only the YouTube mobile app seems to support it any other method of casting does not find the 4000 which indicates the software needs updating do you can cast photos and other non youtube stuff
this would be a great feature if they good bring up to date

Last edited:
I'm not certain that a huge picture of a cast screen enhances your post much other than to pad out a lot of screen real estate unnecessarily.

Humax 4000 also has a BUILT IN MEDIA PLAYER so you can plug into usb to play video audio and photos.

b5bd10e336fdf57159db46c36a53bff7.jpg

4000 CREATES SHORTCUTS TO RECENT MEDIA so you can continue playing from where you left off with a single click

b4148c2b44ba7f2137964eab9e84c488.jpg

for some reason the media FILES ARE NOT SORTED IN ANY ORDER which makes it painful to navigate 100s of files and the series/binge watch mode becomes totally redundant because it plays episodes in random order

42c0d008bed9aa2376c055363d5ed706.jpg

It has a bug where the box reboots to the external drive causing it to stop recording altogether meaning you can't leave media plugged in wiping out any benefit from the short cut links

YOU CAN COPY/MOVE RECORDINGS FROM HDD TO USB DRIVE which is great if you want to archive all your favourite programs and I have a 1 terabyte drive plugged in. It does carry on copying in the background so you can still watch TV or your recordings.

Just highlight the Programme/+/Copy and the background Copying icon appears top right to let you know it's copying

0cc67ac45e85a1bac53e18e698454d60.jpg

Just be mindful that the recordings are a special format that will only play back on the humax. Both internal and external recordings appear in the main Recordings menu

Last edited:
PAUSE TV DOESN'T WORK. When the live program ends the chase recording quits to live TV which means you don't get to see the end of any programmes. Weird city

Back