FVP-4000T my 2 Cents

Then record it and watch the recording on chaseplay. Just an idea, not a fix.
WHY DO YOU KEEP ON SHOUTING?:(
Your list of can and can'ts would be better served as a single list rather than one per post separated with huge pictures. T'would be much easier for others to take on board.:)

*A YEAR ON AND STILL* MEDIA FILES ARE NOT SORTED IN ANY ORDER which makes it painful to navigate 100s of files and the series/binge watch mode becomes totally redundant because it plays episodes in random order

42c0d008bed9aa2376c055363d5ed706.jpg

NO NEED TO KEEP SHOUTING AT US! Stop it! it makes your posts harder to read. Just what do you expect us to do about it? Complain to Humax, who will then bounce you on to Freeview who will bounce you back to Humax.......

But member 7823 is not a newbie with 93 posts and should know better as he has been asked not to shout several times, but continues to do it.:frantic:
facepalm.gif

In the last couple off days the box has reset twice and on both occasions an OLD BUG REARS ITS UGLY HEAD. This is because I have an external drive connected to usb and when the box resets it doesn't reboot to the internal drive causing all subsequent recordings to fail (causing many family rows). Disconnecting the external drive is the only solution but assist from the obvious problem, the shortcuts to the external videos fail. This was fixed in the last updated but it's now returned :eek:(

PAUSE TV DOESN'T WORK. When the live program ends the chase recording quits to live TV which means you don't get to see the end of any programmes. Weird city

Sent from my GEM-702L using Tapatalk
I have not encountered this problem unless the program is being recorded. If this happens, go into the recorded programme list; play the programme and select play from where you left off option. The programme will continue from where it was interrupted.

From your answer, I don't think you followed Peter's suggestion. Yes of course it's recording in chase play. But I think what Peter means is that have you specifically set the programme to record and then actually watch it in chase play (thus recording it twice)? If this is the case, then watch the end from the recording, or better still don't watch it in chase play at all, but play the recording. This solves the 'problem'. If that is not the case, then I give in.
And stop shouting. We are not deaf!

Unless this box is different to others I've used 'pause TV' is only recorded when you are watching a live stream or timeshifted part of it. If you change channel the buffer is dropped and a new one started. If you watch a recording, normal or chase play, then no buffer is recorded.
So watching a recording in chase play won't result in two recordings - no buffer is recorded. I think the same applies if you watch live while recording the same channel, you can't pause it but need to swap over to the recording, and this is where it all goes pear shaped at the end of a programme. As has been advised many times in other parts of the forum it is best to always watch a programme you are recording via chase play of the recording rather than live - it works better.

This is from my observations of other Humax boxes - apologies if the 4000 is different.

I think the same applies if you watch live while recording the same channel, you can't pause it
You can on a T2. I've just done it on BBC2HD. Recording the programme, switched to BBC2HD (it was on BBC1HD) and then paused the live tv.
But I have also had the same problem as the OP, whilst watching time slipped (paused) live TV, when the recording of the programme finishes, the time slipped live TV exits back to 'real' live TV, meaning that you lose the end and then have to go to the recording, find where you were at and play to the end from there, as suggested by PeterMe above. It's a pain in the butt. (but that might have been on my FoxSat a while ago)

Possibly, but that might depend on which muxs you are trying to tune to.
My cut and thrust was to pint out that it can be done, contrary to what Mike said.

OK, I'll happily accept I wasn't totally correct, but the point I was trying to make does still stand ... The 'loss' of the time shift buffer when the programme ends is not a new or unusual feature. It's annoying, it's perhaps a bug, it is a feature of the way (some/all?) Humax software works, but it isn't a fault with any one box or even type of box.
The reliable workaround is to record anything you really care about seeing (to the end) and watch in chase play if not later, and if that isn't possible then watch live but don't pause it.

Yeah, I know how to get round it Mike, but I was just pointing out that your post contains some duff gen.
So watching a recording in chase play won't result in two recordings - no buffer is recorded.
But we weren't talking about that. I think Member whatsit is reporting the situation when he is recording a programme and watching it live. (Let's assume that the programme finishes at 10pm.) He then pauses the live recording and goes for a fag or whatever for 10 mins (time-slips it). When he returns he hits the 'Play' button and continues watching. At 10pm, his time-slipped viewing of the channel bombs out of time-slip back to live, thus missing the last 10 mins of the prog. (We know how we can view the last 10 mins from the recording). To that, you said that you can't record a prog and pause the live version. You can, but it causes the problem as stated above.
I think part of the miss-understanding is a possible confusion (that I have if no one else) between the terminologies 'chase play' and 'time-slip' and the apparent interchangeable usage of them.

I thought pausing and resuming live TV was time-shifting. Chase play is when you start watching a recording before it has finished recording. If people are going to chuck them around to mean anything they like (I'm sure we've covered similar in assume vs presume :) ) then the discussion is pretty much stuffed - we have no idea what the symptoms really are :dunno:

I agree with the above as reasonable definitions of terms.

As far as HDR-FOX is concerned, there are difficulties trying to record and view in time-shift the same service simultaneously - which leads to the presumption that when apparently time-shifting, if a recording is in progress the internal operation is to actually chase-play (even though it is possible to initiate a chase-play specifically). It may be the case that the TSR buffer is not being written under those circumstances.

My 2000T did the following when I pressed pause whilst watching a channel I was recording (with it so far?).
Obviously, it paused. A time line doo dah appeared at the bottom of the screen in red showing the start time of the recording as the start point.
This seems to indicate that it is doing a form of chase play and not time-shift. However, I think I remember if you do this and the recording finishes you go back to live, even though you haven't caught up. True chase play doesn't do this. So BH's theory seems reasonable.

Back