FVP-5000T- Time Shifted Recording stops at program end

If I nip out for a fag, say 10 mins, I put the box into 'pause' I then come back in to watch the rest of the programme. I would not expect the programme that I had paused switch back to live when the live transmission ends, thus missing the end of my televisual pleasure
Unless of course you had overlooked the fact it was set to start two new recordings at that time needing it to change channel.

My mantra is if it is worth watching it is worth recording. I rarely rely on live pause for anything other than working round the buffering / audio stuttering bug on BT Sport on my Youview box by pausing for a couple of seconds.

Incidentally my old Digitalstream works differently in that if you are chase playing an active recording then the live buffer is the same as the recording buffer (I have the live buffer turned off so when not recording the disk is spun down which is a feature I like as it can be used as a plain STB rather than PVR without wear and tear on the disk). But that too has a tendency to stop playback of an active recording when the recording ends with the additional annoyance that it forgets how far in you had already watched.

Last edited:
Is you that are not reading or understanding. The OP and myself are not talking about recordings live programmes from beginning. Just about chase play. Press Pause, make Cup of tea, come back, resume play. Does not work, because when the live programme gets to the end, the playback exits to live also. So you don't get to see the end.

Don't you ever read and understand anything ? It's recording the programme and then using the time shift buffer to view rather than the actual recording, that creates the issue. I do what you want dozens of times every week and never lose the end. It's a Bug!!!!

Trev does your LG or Panasonic if you see a programme that has already started and you fancy watching all of it record the complete programme from the beginning at a single button push ?
I have catchup TV just for that purpose. Not sure on the Samsung because I never switch on the timeshift unless I want to pause for a fag break. It's such a pain when it's on, putting all kinds of popups to stop you watching 'normally' And a pain to switch off after using it because of said popups.
LG? I don't know. I'll try it in a bit and see if that works.
I'm loosing the will to live on this discussion.

Last edited:
Is you that are not reading or understanding. The OP and myself are not talking about recordings live programmes from beginning. Just about chase play. Press Pause, make Cup of tea, come back, resume play. Does not work, because when the live programme gets to the end, the playback exits to live also. So you don't get to see the end.

One this is only an issue if

1 You are recording the programme at the same time as you decide to use chase play. 2 If you decide to wind the recorded content beyond the buffer beyond the point the recording has been made to which drops you back to the timeshift buffer (you are no longer using chase play). Pressing pause does not put you in chase play. Only selecting the recording and playing it back as it is recorded gives you chase play. Chasing playback is playing back the actual recording as it continues. Pressing pause picks up the time shift buffer which will display the live programme at the moment you pause and continue to buffer it. If you are still in this condition when the programme finishes you will lose the end, because the time shift buffer pointers are reset. There is absolutely no issue with chasing playback, the end is not cut off as you have found replaying the recording always works. Of course if you try and display more content than is already recorded the box drops out of chasing playback and gets the displayed content from the current point of the time shift buffer.

It's clear you know nothing about pvr's. Understanding the difference between live pause and chasing playback is fundamental. If you always use chasing playback you will not get the issue provided you avoid trying to play conten from the actual recording that has not yet been made. Hence the tip about using the forward skip keys when near real time.

3 Your OP clearly said you started to playback the programme about 10 mins after it had started. This does not cause an issue as long as you avoid dropping back to the time shift buffer

I have done this for years without issue. And I have seen posts like yours many times. Most when told how to avoid do not have any further issues,

Last edited:
Back