Good TV

These programmes are aimed at a young audience. The shots which included the audience suggest that this series was very well received, in contrast to some previous, which seemed to leave the audience nonplussed.
The balloon failure, and the lack of comment was interesting - very few presenters could resist a comment at that point, so I wonder whether it was edited out (the way things appeared on stage and later disappeared, apparently instantly, suggest editing).
The Tetris was a good result - it actually worked to some extent!

I thought it was wrong that the presenter continually suggested that the things that were being shown could be easily knocked up at home and I watched it with two young children who were completely confused about how the building was being lit up by the end (having seen the servo mechanism for example).
They were also disappointed that the episode didn't actually give them loads of things they could do with a light bulb as promised.
And these are kids that have a couple of Raspberry Pis with expansion boards and do simple electronics with them.

I agree. Clearly the presentation was aimed at enthusing the next generation with the idea of going into engineering, but I think there could have been plenty of demonstrations which would have been more achievable and no less exciting. Maybe there are extensive follow-up notes for the classroom. Regarding the Tetris pixels, they showed the elements that made up each pixel, but it would have helped if they had a complete pixel assembly in the lecture hall to demonstrate as an entity. The response of the office block was painfully slow. (I have not seen the third programme yet - and that's another thing, I'm sure the series used to be longer than that in the "good old days".)

With today's safety elf, I wonder whether the electrical conduction of glass experiment is ever demonstrated in schools? That was brill.

There was a new episode of Y Gwyll (Hinterland) on Welsh TV on 1st January. It's available on the S4C player for a while.

Back