Green screen when upgraded to 4K TV

Fibbdibb

I’ve upgraded my TV to a 4K Samsung QE43Q60R, and after connecting my Fox T2 I get a green screen. I can see the initial Humax boot screen and then a tantalising glimpse of the TV broadcast for a split second, then a green screen. I’ve tried various HDMI cables, and different orders of turning on the TV first or my Hummy, all without success. I’ve tried all troubleshooting options on my TV. I’ve also tried connecting through a powered HDMI splitter box (iSolem) but that didn’t work either. My other external devices all connect perfectly. I’ve tried connecting my Hummy to a 4K LG TV and get the green screen on that too. Connecting to my old TV the Hummy works perfectly. Is this simple case of the Fox T2 not being compatible with 4K TVs, or is there a solution?

I have 4k Samsung and LG TVs and my T2 works fine on both via HDMI

Thanks Trev. I bought my TV from Richer Sounds. They’ve said to take my Hummy into the store to test on their TVs. After connecting to a friends 4k LG and getting a green screen I wasn’t going to bother. But if yours works I’ll take it in next week and see if I can get it to work.

Thanks. I’m reluctant to spend £30 when I’ve already bought the iSolem that didn’t work. Does everyone have to purchase something similar when upgrading to a new TV?

How long is your HDMI cable and is it a high speed cable ? The issue is clearly a handshake issue. Try a different hdmi cable with one marked as 4K capable. Home bargains have a decent one from less than a fiver.

I had a similar issue the other way round. I tried a 4K amp from RS with my two FULL-HD TV's. While it worked the picture quality on both my TV's was dire. Went back to my Yamaha Aventage AV receiver. I have a new AV receiver (Denon AVR-X72000WA) but waiting to upgrade my TV to a the new LD 55" OLED) (black friday) next month. As my TV is 12M from the Receiver I have a 12M optical HDMI cable to fit. I also need some extra speakers to upgrade to a Dolby Atmos setup/

If you buy the converter from Amazon and it doesn't work you can return it under the distance selling regs.

Guessing the Isolem you refer to is a splitter. Are you intending to feed two TV's ? if so unless both have identical specs the Handshake will force the lowest common denominator. ie Force 1080P output to the new TV if the other is a Full-HD model.

Last edited:
How long is your HDMI cable and is it a high speed cable ? The issue is clearly a handshake issue. Try a different hdmi cable with one marked as 4K capable. Home bargains have a decent one from less than a fiver.

I had a similar issue the other way round. I tried a 4K amp from RS with my two FULL-HD TV's. While it worked the picture quality on both my TV's was dire. Went back to my Yamaha Aventage AV receiver. I have a new AV receiver (Denon AVR-X72000WA) but waiting to upgrade my TV to a the new LD 55" OLED) (black friday) next month. As my TV is 12M from the Receiver I have a 12M optical HDMI cable to fit. I also need some extra speakers to upgrade to a Dolby Atmos setup/

If you buy the converter from Amazon and it doesn't work you can return it under the distance selling regs.

Guessing the Isolem you refer to is a splitter. Are you intending to feed two TV's ? if so unless both have identical specs the Handshake will force the lowest common denominator. ie Force 1080P output to the new TV if the other is a Full-HD model.

It’s only a short HDMI cable. I’ve tried a variety including 4K capable. RS have also given me a HDMI cable to try but it didn’t work.

The iSolem is a powered splitter. The sole reason for purchase was to hopefully get around any potential HDCP issues. It didn’t work. But I’m convinced it’s a handshake issue.

It’s only a short HDMI cable. I’ve tried a variety including 4K capable. RS have also given me a HDMI cable to try but it didn’t work.

The iSolem is a powered splitter. The sole reason for purchase was to hopefully get around any potential HDCP issues. It didn’t work. But I’m convinced it’s a handshake issue.

Did you try all the HDMI inputs on the new TV ? Convinced your only chance is the active bi-directional 1.4 to 2.0 HDCP converter. You can try it and return it if it fails to work.

Did you try all the HDMI inputs on the new TV ? Convinced your only chance is the active bi-directional 1.4 to 2.0 HDCP converter. You can try it and return it if it fails to work.

Yes I’ve tried all inputs but no joy. I’ll probably have to get a HDCP converter, but will take my Hummy into RS first to try on their TVs.

Hey @Fibbdibb - did you take your Hummy into Richer Sounds, and what was the outcome?

I bought a 4k Samsung (ue43ru7100) a couple of days ago and am having a similar issue with my Fox T2 - green screen following a one/two second flash of the broadcast. It's an intermittent problem - maybe 10% of the time I switch on, it's fine. But I cannot find any pattern to it working or not.

I've tried every solution I can find on these forums, except for buying an HDCP converter - the order of switching on, different ports on the TV, different cables, HDMI splitter, different custom loaders on the T2, HDMI troubleshooting in the TV menus, and (by accident) opening and exiting apps in the TV. Every one of these solutions sometimes work - again, I can't find any pattern, but sometimes I do something and it works, but nothing is guaranteed to, and it's only ever fixed temporarily.

Coincidentally, I also bought my TV from Richer Sounds, so am going to do the same as you - but won't be able to get in until next weekend now. So I'm interested if your Hummy worked when plugged into a different Samsung, and also if there's anything else you've tried since. I've currently resorted to connecting with component cables, and I'm keen to get back into the 21st century as soon as possible - component isn't the best way to show off the vibrancy and crispness of 4k...!

half way between that and the grey washed-out blurry crap
Yeah. The FOX HD picture is pretty good really.
I had 4K with Netflix for a year or so and some of the programmes I watched that were 4K (mainly Breaking Bad) could be stunning, but when they bumped the price up by £3/month I dropped back to an HD sub (I'd finished BB then).

For completeness you can try the V-Format option on the remote control, but in the long term you really only have a choice between 1080i and 1080p

BTW
I have a 4K Samsung (UE40NU7120K) that works on both boot loaders 7.30 and 7.33, neither of the Humaxs create these problems - both have the older horizontal tuner motherboard

I have a 4K Samsung (UE40NU7120K) that works on both boot loaders 7.30 and 7.33, neither of the Humaxs create these problems - both have the older horizontal tuner motherboard
Thanks Ezra. I think I'll cycle through the boot loaders again - pretty sure I tried all 4, but entirely possible I renamed the same file twice. Worth a go anyway.

I wasn't aware of different motherboards - a quick google suggests I've got the older one too, as my aerial sockets are horizontally next to each other. Is that correct, or have I mixed up two different hardware changes?

Back