New LG Smart TV. Audio dropouts via HDMI

You could try changing the version of the loader software. Some users have reported different HDMI negotiation behaviour between them, which makes sense since the loader has to initialise HDMI to display the splash screen. @MymsMan , what's your loader version?

Otherwise try using the system-flush upgrade file to do a real factory reset; rather than just the one available through the menus. Just remember to take a note of your recording schedule first (unless using the custom firmware in which case you can just restore it afterwards)

The startup splash screen is at 576p resolution, and the box switches to the selected HD resolution once boot is complete.

I seem to remember a long time ago that I had some sort of similar problem of a missing picture, which was cured by doing a factory reset on the Humax. But you will need to find a working display to do that!

I think we have the same TV (LG OLED55B7V ) do you have a HDR FOX T2 as well?

I downloaded the other loader versions but haven't got around to trying them out to see if they have any affects on dropouts
I tried the full set and my experience was there was no significant difference to the sound drop out problem; I would thing there is at least a chance that it would make a difference with an initial HDMI hand shake issue.

Hi,
So I've not had any success. I have tried all loader versions (a730 through to a734) but none of them made a difference. Tried rebooting as @MikeSh described. Run the system flush update as well.

I am on software version 1.03.12. I tried upgrading to the latest customer firmware, but nothing there either.

@jfshw as we have the same TV and box, would you mind confirming your tv set up please? i.e. how did you initially connect the box to the TV? any other options (like deep black, or CEC) turned on or off? What versions are you running on the FOX T2?

Many thanks

The options are a) aerial b) set top box or c) aerial and set top box.

My TVs don't need options like that, why do new TVs need options like that? Surely it's only a case of tuning to an aerial if there is one and switching to an AV input on request.

I get the impression TVs are now designed to be "too clever", arrogantly tailoring the menus behind the scenes on the assumption that the designers can guess what will give the user the best experience even though they cannot possibly know every possible scenario or properly appreciate the needs of people outside their own age bracket or eco-social demographic.

Some of my TVs make it quite a frustrating process to access an analogue modulation if I want to (I have a front porch security camera modulated into my aerial system).

If there is a mode where you can turn off all "help" and just get an HDMI input - use it. I suspect your primary problem is getting the HDR-FOX to recognise your TV as a certified receiver for HiDef content (which the HDR-FOX requires even if it is only sending StDef content). This requires a cryptographic handshake to initiate HDMI output, and this not completing properly results in no picture.

If you can, connect another screen to the HDR-FOX analogue AV outputs. Then you will be able to see any error messages the HDR-FOX is putting out (and access menus etc).

Hi BH,

There are two options for connecting the new LG's, the first is via the initial set up which wants to know how you are planning on receiving the transmissions. I am assuming that the correct option is via the option a) aerial and I just manually plug in the HDR-Fox to an HDMI port, which I have done. I have tried all the other options, but admittedly not changed the loader version for each initial connection method. The only thing that will display is the Humax splash screen and the upgrade progress screen. Last night I did get a couple of green screen flickers which (oddly) was encouraging, but then it just goes to black screen without sound.

The fact that @jfshw has the same TV and HDR-Fox suggests it should work, so I was wondering if these 'options' affect the HDMI handshake. I feel there is just something small that needs to be turned off or on that I am missing.

Any further ideas would be very welcome.

@@jfshw as we have the same TV and box, would you mind confirming your tv set up please? i.e. how did you initially connect the box to the TV? any other options (like deep black, or CEC) turned on or off? What versions are you running on the FOX T2?

The TV is on firmware 04.70.95. I use either HDR Effect medium or Expert dark, no user adjustments.

With the TV on, a long press on the input selector button on the remote will give you a screen to configure all your inputs.

The Humax loader is version a7.30.
Custom firmware version: 3.13 (build 4028)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.13)

Does your Humax give picture and sound on a different TV/monitor?
Does your LG OLED55B7V work ok with the same lead plugged into a different HDMI source, eg a dvd player?

The TV is on firmware 04.70.95. I use either HDR Effect medium or Expert dark, no user adjustments.

With the TV on, a long press on the input selector button on the remote will give you a screen to configure all your inputs.

The Humax loader is version a7.30.
Custom firmware version: 3.13 (build 4028)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.13)

Does your Humax give picture and sound on a different TV/monitor?
Does your LG OLED55B7V work ok with the same lead plugged into a different HDMI source, eg a dvd player?

Edit: Re-reading the thread I see you have tried other leads and HDMI sources. My inputs "just work" when I plug them in.

Hi jfshw

Thank you for the config settings. I'll check them over tonight although I was on loader a7.30, but without custom firmware. Do you think the custom firmware makes any difference? I did use the input selector button rather than the initial TV set up wizard.

Did you have the TV set up to receive the signal from a) aerial, b) set top box or c) both?

I did try different cables but I saw another post suggesting having another HDMI sources active whilst trying to connect the Humax. I think I will try connecting another source on to the HDMI cable and swapping it to the Humax to see if it works.

More testing tonight!!

Thank you again!

Back