New LG Smart TV. Audio dropouts via HDMI

On recordings, tried 3 different programmes, 3 different channels. HD & SD. All the same issue. Switched audio on the Humax menu from Multi to Stereo. Same issue.

What channels were the recordings from?
Any advertisement breaks on the recordings or live TV that the sound drop outs occurred? (i.e. are BBC channels/recordings affected the same as CH4/CH5/ITV channels )
Do you have humax remote button "wide" set on Auto/Zoom or Pillar Box?

However, I've found that by ignoring the 'pop up' which comes on the LG's screen as a prompt to switch to the selected HDMI input, and allowing the Humax to fully boot up before switching the input, the drop outs are reduced considerably.

It looks like an LG TV rather than a Humax problem.
Gerry

Regarding 'Pop Up' messages

On my Vierra when I play back recordings from the humax on CH4 recordings at add breaks there is an annoying pop up in the left hand saying "Auto -16:9" ,and after the interval another 'popup' "Auto-Just" appears. This only occurs when the humax remote [wide] button is set to "Auto". When set to "Pillar Box" or "Zoom" there is no pop up but it seems there is a longer pause/black screen.

The same does not happen on recordings played back from one E4 recording I tried. I haven't tried other channels.

Just a wild chance the sound dropout relates to how the TV switches it's screen display and how the original recording was formatted. Might be worth changing the [WIDE] setting on the humax remote.

[Edit] note I could not reproduce the 'popup' messages ["Auto -16:9" "Auto just"] on my non SMART TV using the same recordings/settings.

Last edited:
What channels were the recordings from?
Any advertisement breaks on the recordings or live TV that the sound drop outs occurred? (i.e. are BBC channels/recordings affected the same as CH4/CH5/ITV channels )
Do you have humax remote button "wide" set on Auto/Zoom or Pillar Box?

Regarding 'Pop Up' messages

On my Vierra when I play back recordings from the humax on CH4 recordings at add breaks there is an annoying pop up in the left hand saying "Auto -16:9" ,and after the interval another 'popup' "Auto-Just" appears. This only occurs when the humax remote [wide] button is set to "Auto". When set to "Pillar Box" or "Zoom" there is no pop up but it seems there is a longer pause/black screen.

The same does not happen on recordings played back from one E4 recording I tried. I haven't tried other channels.

Just a wild chance the sound dropout relates to how the TV switches it's screen display and how the original recording was formatted. Might be worth changing the [WIDE] setting on the humax remote.

[Edit] note I could not reproduce the 'popup' messages ["Auto -16:9" "Auto just"] on my non SMART TV using the same recordings/settings.

Thanks for your reply...but no effect I'm afraid.

Gerry

Can't remember exactly as the TV has gone back now but 2 of the programmes affected were that BBC docu on great cities of the world and GPs Behind Closed Doors on 5. Audio dropouts were in the middle of the programme. Nothing to do with ad breaks or ratio switching.

Back on my old Toshiba TV now and audio is absolutely fine. Its definitely a LG-Humax issue.

Over on AVF they are on about sound dropouts with SkyQ and it seems that LG TVs are a mentioned quite frequently, but not exclusively, in amongst the posts.

Thanks for your reply...but no effect I'm afraid.

Gerry
I've switching between the settings using the wide button (auto>zoom>pillarbox) on the HDR's remote control per Border's suggestion before returning to the 'auto' setting. It's early days yet but I've only had one drop out in three hours of recording playback. It might be a coincidence but I'll monitor over the next few days...I'm hoping you may have cracked it, Border!

Three more hours of recordings without dropouts....Two of those hours have been on BBC programmes (no commercials to skip). Nothing else has been done to the set up. Just toggling between the settings using the 'wide' button on the Humax remote control. Done just once or twice and then returned the setting to 'auto'..... Coincidence? I don't know... .I'll continue to monitor.

As you were......Dropouts are back:(...After none for sometime, now at one or two per recorded hour. Again, no change in set up.

I too have just got a LG TV (OLED55B7V) and experienced constant audio dropouts with both my HDR boxes. Tried all the suggested solutions, including the Pin 13 isolation, without success.

Then I noticed that my soundbar ( Azatom Stealth) has HDMI inputs and an HDMI(ARC) output. So I recabled to route the HDR outputs via the soundbar.

And NO DROPOUTS for nearly a week now! The soundbar must be filtering out the rogue signals in some way....

Sharing in case it helps somebody!

An update.......I thought I'd try a sound bar, a Yamaha YAS 105. Not top of the range at £189 but as it was for 'every day' use ( I have a quality surround system for movies and the like) I thought it would suffice. The only connections to the sound bar were the 'optical out' from the LG 55E6V and the power supply, the Humax boxes remained connected to the TV by HDMI leads. Drop outs still occurred, not as often and not as long....... The sound quality using the Yamaha was, to be honest, appalling when compared to the E6V........ Only to be expected, I suppose, as the built in sound bar on the TV was developed by Harman Kardon. The sound bar is now being returned to the supplier. The economics of more expensive sound bars don't add up for me...I have considered replacing the HDR Fox T2's with HDR2000T's, a lesser box I know, but the 1TB version seems to have disappeared and I can't get on with 'Youview'. It's a shame that Humax have seemingly abandoned 'Freeview'. I'm going stay with the Fox's and the LG TV until one or the other goes 'pop'...:)

To work around the HDMI sound drop-out issue, you needed an AV amp / soundbar which takes HDMI from the source and then passes on HDMI to the TV. Taking an audio feed from the TV (with the original troublesome HDMI link intact) isn't breaking the feedback loop that creates a periodic effect.

To work around the HDMI sound drop-out issue, you needed an AV amp / soundbar which takes HDMI from the source and then passes on HDMI to the TV. Taking an audio feed from the TV (with the original troublesome HDMI link intact) isn't breaking the feedback loop that creates a periodic effect.

Thanks, Black Hole, that makes sense.....

Do we have conformation that the HDR2000T doesn't cause this problem?
"Cause" is a bit contentious - "suffer from" or "create" might be more appropriate. The problem seems to arise only when there is a specific incompatibility between both ends - and it is impossible (for us) to know which end to blame, if either is to blame at all.

"Cause" is a bit contentious - "suffer from" or "create" might be more appropriate. The problem seems to arise only when there is a specific incompatibility between both ends - and it is impossible (for us) to know which end to blame, if either is to blame at all.
I actually used "suffer from" when I wrote the post and then edited it because the problem is manifested by the TV end.

Hi,
I also have just bought a LG TV (OLED55B7V) but cannot get pictures or sound from my HDR Fox T2. Curious how most here have at least pictures??

Hi,
I also have just bought a LG TV (OLED55B7V) but cannot get pictures or sound from my HDR Fox T2. Curious how most here have at least pictures??
We would need a *LOT* more information about what you have tried to do already and what are seeing before even starting to suggest what's wrong.

Hi,

Ok, so I have had my Humax HDR FOX T2 for many years now. Connected to my TV's via HDMI cable without any issues (apart from the green screen some time ago). Just to clarify the Humax box works fine on my Loewe 32" Individual (10 years old), Panasonic 42" tx-l42ft60b (4 years old), and 42" Samsung t32e310ex (9 months old). Just using standard HDMI cable that came with the Humax.

So when the new LG OLED55B7V turned up I simply disconnected the cables and reconnected them all and turned the TV on. LG has a first time set up program that configures the TV. During the tuning stage you have to decide which option the TV will receive digital transmissions. The options are a) aerial b) set top box or c) aerial and set top box. I decided to select c) aerial and set top box so I have more options. My aerial is connected through the Humax box and then on to the TV. This results in the TV's configuration program automatically tuning the TV for channels and allowing you to connect a set top box which I did and connected it up to one of the HDMI sockets.

I selected the TV to the HDMI socket that the Humax box was connected to and turned it on. The Humax logo appeared on screen but then nothing but a blank screen and no sound.

In terms of what I have done to try and fix the problem, please read the follow:

1. tried all the HDMI sockets on the TV.
2. tried various different HDMI cables in all the different HDMI sockets (none of which are HDMI 2.0).
3. reset the TV to factory settings to restart the initial configuration program and chose options a) and then again with option b).
4. reset the TV to factory settings to restart the initial configuration program and manually linked the Humax box to a HDMI socket linked as another device.
5. reset the TV to factory settings to restart the initial configuration program and manually linked the Humax box to a HDMI socket linked as a set top box.
6. changed the screen format settings on the Humax controller through all the formats.
7. changed the antenna power options.
8. tried my HDMI splitter switch with two HDMI cables.
9. plug the HDMI back into the Panasonic TV, which worked immediately and then unplugged the cable and plugged it back to every HDMI socket on the LG TV.
10. contacted LG who said it was a compatibility issue with the Humax box, even though they list Humax as a known manufacturer in the set top box configuration settings.

In addition I have successfully connected my Panasonic Blu Ray cinema system without any issues.

Nothing above has changed the result, which remains as follows: the Humax logo appeared on screen but then nothing but a blank screen and no sound.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful.

Many thanks

James

Last edited:
Strange - it just worked for me (18 month old non OLED smart TV )

I was going to suggest trying the different formats on the humax but it appears you have tried that.
I assume you've tried direct connection without any HD mini splitter /switch

Hi,

Yes it was always direct, tried the splitter as an option.

I was wondering about power saving options and the green screen issue. always have seen the green screen but only for an instant and normally ok.

Tried rebooting Humax as well. Just odd not seeing a picture at all.

The startup splash screen is at 576p resolution, and the box switches to the selected HD resolution once boot is complete.

I seem to remember a long time ago that I had some sort of similar problem of a missing picture, which was cured by doing a factory reset on the Humax. But you will need to find a working display to do that!

Back