New LG Smart TV. Audio dropouts via HDMI

Another update. My dropouts started to get more frequent again.
So I called into Richer Sounds, who sold me the TV, and the guy there said he had lost count of the number of customers who had had similar HDMI problems with this LG TV. His considered advice was "go back to optical and stick with it"!

So I decided that the time had come to abandon the LG's sound processing and just use the TV for the picture! I purchased a Denon AVR 1400H and some small speakers and then routed the Humaxes etc to it. The HDMI out of the Denon goes to HDMI 2 in on the TV with ARC enabled. Everything works, no audio or video problems, I even get Atomos 7.1 out of the TV. A happy ending for me, but admitting defeat in that LG will never fix their sound processing bugs.

Hi, I thought I would let you all know that I have found a fix for the hdmi handshack failure with my LG tv. I read that buying a 4K hdmi splitter might fix the issue. So I bought one on eBay for around £12 and connected it up earlier and it worked! I now have both picture and sound!!:)

Here’s what to paste into eBay as I’m not allowed to link the url.

Ultra 1080P 4k 1 in 2 out HDCP Stripper 1x2 HDMI Splitter Power Signal Amplifier

Hope that helps others with the same issues I was having.

Thanks

James

Last edited by a moderator:
I have these same symptoms (frequent audio dropouts for 1-2 seconds, but not a problem with recordings as the dropouts are not repeated if I rewind and replay the same segments). I don't have an LG TV - it's a Samsung UE55ES7000 - but the audio is routed through an Onkyo TX-NR515 via HDMI.
Any ideas for possible diagnoses/solutions?

As my symptoms were complete lack of picture and sound, having a 1 second audio drop is not much bother for me. I only really use the Humax to record stuff as I find the LG TV an improvement in all other areas.

During say a one hour program I will usually only get one drop out. I'm not sure what other options are out there. I tried nearly everything suggested here and the HDMI splitter listed above was the only thing that worked.

Good luck though and if you find a solution let us all know.

Back