Hacking TomTom 300/500

This is interesting. Any info?
The key to hacking the old TomToms is that it executes /mnt/sdcard/ttn when it starts, if present. So you just need to write your own script as /ttn on the SD card.

I spawn a tracking server which just sits there reading the NMEA data from /var/run/gpsfeed every second, writing a shorter version to a file.

My ttn then spawns a Bluetooth server which listens for a serial connection, copies the logged locations to an upload file, sends the upload file over serial to my Android application, and then deletes the upload file once the Android app confirms it's been successfully saved.

My ttn then continues to run the /bin/ttn burned into the device, which runs the TomTom navigation software.

The API for playing audio files was based on writing a command file. The TomTom navigator would pick the file up and execute its actions, and write back an acknowledgement file. But I don't think this works any more.

To compile C/C++ code I originally got the toolchain from TomTom, but it's no longer there. I could hunt it out, but it's probably not much practical use now the devices are obsolete. Mine only works when plugged in now; it's got zero battery capacity left.

You can also add to the main device menu through SDKRegistry/.cap files. The .cap file defines a new command, the program to run and the icon and text to use.
Code:
Version|100|
AppName|recording_on.sh|
AppPath|/mnt/sdcard/binmw/|
AppMainTitle|Start Recording|
AppIconFile|recording_on.bmp|
AppPort||
COMMAND|CMD|Start|recording_on.bmp|Start Recording|

Finally, you used to be able to write add-ons to the desktop TomTom Home application. This was in JavaScript, I think based on the way you wrote add-ons to Firefox. XUL? I did a fancy one that detected the state of the attached device and did location uploads (prior to doing it via Bluetooth). But TomTom broke this API long ago.

I don't know if any of that knowledge transfers to newer TomToms. I haven't heard of new ones being hackable.

Oh yes, and the trick to getting a command prompt for playing around with the BusyBox Linux on the device was to copy a bluetooth console program onto the SD card first. You could then Telnet to a COM port attached to the device. It had the annoying habit of powering the device off after a few minutes if you forgot to touch the screen regularly, so not as much fun as hacking around with the Humax.

Last edited:
Thanks. It's all a bit complicated for me, but the info might feed into something else one day, and I couldn't find anything like that when I was googling.

Talking of walks that are easy on the knees I like the look of those canal-side walks such as the Kennet/ Avon as shown on the Julia Bradbury programmes.

Talking of walks that are easy on the knees I like the look of those canal-side walks such as the Kennet/ Avon as shown on the Julia Bradbury programmes.
We have some disused railway walks here in the Peak District. Julia grew up in Sheffield, and collected an honorary doctorate when one of my daughters collected a masters degree.

I much preferred JB's walks in the Lake District. Walks along canals and disused railway lines are ok, and something I do occasionally, - but not good television. You shouldn't need a map for canals and railways - you can usually see the corridor you want to walk down.

I much preferred JB's walks in the Lake District.

Ah, yes, another promotional programme to make the fells more crowded. It was good to see that JB was rightly scared when tackling Sharp Edge on Blencathra.Too many programmes make walks like that seem easy, hence the many Mountain Rescue call outs. ( And pertaining to this topic, many call outs are due to GPS enthusiasts getting cragfast!)

I don't think it is just gps enthusiasts. Years ago I encountered a group on Kinder led by a man who was convinced he was at the downfall, north west, when he was at Crowden, south east. I don't believe he knew north from south on his compass needle.

So true of many walkers. I get thoroughly annoyed seeing walkers on the high fells staring at their GPS gizmos instead of the scenery, more than those who just look at their boots! And don't get me started on mobile phones (where there is a signal) Aargh!
Just off up Place Fell this morning........:)

I take it back, temporarily, as didn't see anyone on the high fells using a gizmo or phone. Mind you the walkers up there were all 70+, could explain it, but most were still examining their boots........

Mind you the walkers up there were all 70+, could explain it, but most were still examining their boots........
Maybe they were making sure they were placing their feet on firm ground. Or perhaps they all had back problems. My aunt (in her 90's) used to be a keen walker but now has such a bent back it would look like she was examining her boots.

Walking in rough terrain is a bit like driving - if you spend your time looking everywhere except where you are going you will likely come a cropper. It's little better than texting or the like.
When I go walking in places like that I tend to watch where I'm treading, and even on pavements I keep a look out for dog sh##. When I want to admire the view I stop walking, you can't do both properly. (Research has again shown that very few people, a few %, can actually multitask - the rest just think they can.)

When I want to admire the view I stop walking

There's so much to admire in the high fells on a clear day, you wouldn't get far if you stopped all the time. But I take your point. Mind you, after 54 years walking in the Lakes and Scotland, I've a fair idea what it's all about.

Back