Hacking TomTom 300/500

Research has again shown that very few people, a few %, can actually multitask - the rest just think they can.
Men can only do one thing at once. Women can do two - but one of those things is operating the mouth.

If women are so good at multi tasking, why are there so few women fighter pilots? Could it be that men have much better spatial awareness than women? Think map reading.

If women are so good at multi tasking, why are there so few women fighter pilots? Could it be that men have much better spatial awareness than women? Think map reading.

The multi-point harness is tricky!

I sometimes use mine in 2D view with north at the top. Gives me a much better idea of where I am as opposed to just which way to go.

My new unit includes WiFi as well as Bluetooth, and is able to download map updates directly instead of having to connect it to a PC by USB. All well and good, but it wants a map update out-of-the-box... 7GB! On my bandwidth and with a 10GB monthly cap?!!

Even if it managed to achieve the full 3Mbps for the whole download (as if), that would take nearly 7 hours.

Last edited:
Have you costed other broadband suppliers, BH? But you may be locked into a contract.

I get 38Mb unlimited BB with anytime calls from EE for £12 + about £15 line rental. (Paid 18 months up front, so cheaper) and £5 'loyalty' discount.
Their usual rate on offer now is £28.50/month for 38Mb unlimited, incl line rental and evening and weekend calls. Anytime calls £6.50 extra.

Last edited:
Have you costed other broadband suppliers, BH? But you may be locked into a contract.
I can't really do anything about it until the autumn, but I went with the only option available at the time to bundle phone, mobile, broadband, and mobile data. But in any case, the only way I can get anything faster is by 4G or signing up with Virgin. My broadband needs are usually fairly modest, and when they are not I can usually piggy-back somewhere I'm visiting.

If only I had explored the new unit more fully before I came back from visiting the family (where there is a fibre connection!), but all is not lost because I visit a similarly-capable friend almost every week and will be spending time at two hotels within the next fortnight.

Take it back to the shop and ask them to do the update for you there?
That will be a seven hour return trip! At least it wouldn't eat into my usage cap.

Back