Handset Batteries

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Amazing.

The handset for my first HDR stopped working today, I figured it was the batteries so opened up and found a little corrosion etc, you know the drill. This is the second replacement since the original Rockets.

The batteries that came out are Duracell. The expiry date printed on them is March 2017!!!! :eek:

The new ones going in are dated 2023...

Update: There is a similar thread here: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/leaky-batteries.6370/

Last edited:
I only just retired a set of rockets this week! They were good batteries to be included.

All 7 of my Humax boxes are still using the supplied Rocket batteries. My first HD-FOX T2, purchased in 2009, has batteries with an expiry date of 09/2012.

My Harmony Ultimate remote control uses a rechargeable battery which recharges overnight every three days or so when sat in its dock. Still have my old Harmony 555 which serves while the recharge is in progress. The rechargeables in the 555 last a year between charges.

The amazing part, which nobody seems to have picked up on, is that the Duracells died within a month of what it said on the date stamp.

Yes, but that's just a coincidence. The date stamp is 'use by', not 'it will run out of charge'. Sorry if you were mislead on that :)

All 7 of my Humax boxes are still using the supplied Rocket batteries. My first HD-FOX T2, purchased in 2009, has batteries with an expiry date of 09/2012.
We don't have any Rockets left in ours but one has a pair of Duracells with 11/2012 on them. Clearly these dates are a bit conservative.

Just had another handset die, also containing Mar 2017 Duracells (one manky, the other still looks OK but tests low). Another session of cleaning out the corrosion!

My Harmony Ultimate remote control uses a rechargeable battery which recharges overnight every three days or so when sat in its dock. Still have my old Harmony 555 which serves while the recharge is in progress. The rechargeables in the 555 last a year between charges.
Since then my 555 has died competely and I have replaced it with a 650 model to act as backup (and useful for searches to have a physical numeric keypad) and the batteries in that are lasting more like six months but then I have also replaced my living room DAB radio with a remote control one and I tend to use the 650 to control that.

Just had another handset die, also containing Mar 2017 Duracells (one manky, the other still looks OK but tests low). Another session of cleaning out the corrosion!
After reading this, I thought I should check my 7 remote controls, all of which still contain the original Rocket batteries. On inspection, my second oldest control containing White and Gold batteries (dated 09.2012) was found to have leaked.
My oldest control also contains White and Gold batteries (dated 09.2012), but these look to be perfectly okay, and the control is in daily use, so I shall continue to use it, but will try to keep an eye on it.
Four controls contain Blue and Gold batteries with a range of dates from 2015, and the final one contains Green and Red batteries (dated 03.2017).
The plating on the negative terminal of a few of the 2015 batteries has blistered slightly, whether this is an indication of imminent failure I'm not sure.

Back