Leaky Batteries

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
You are better off with Rocket batteries, all of my Humax remote controls are still using the originally supplied Rocket batteries.

gomezz

That reminds me I would like to get some more rechargeables to use in my Harmony 555 as it tends to eat through alkalines more quickly than your normal dumb remote.

OP
Black Hole

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Have you tried rechargeable alkalines? They don't survive as many recharge cycles as NiCd/NiMH, but they are supposed to have a lower self-discharge rate (and they come ready charged, so can be used straight out of the packet).

Update: subsequent discussion reveals that what I thought were rechargeable alkaline are actually low self-discharge NiMH types (also known as "hybrid"). Articles on Wikipedia indicate hybrids are easier to live with than rechargeable alkaline, which operate best with only shallow cycling (recharge after only 25% discharge).

Last edited:
OP
Black Hole

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
So they are. Bloody small print on both the batteries themselves and the packet they came out of. I use the Uniross Hybrios in my mouse.

They are billed on the bubble pack as "the instant battery you can recharge", and I thought I was buying rechargeable alkaline.

For information: the bubble pack says they retain 80% charge after 6 months storage, 70% after 1 year.

hairy_mutley

I have been using Sanyo/Panasonic Eneloop for some years. They are a similar low self-discharge NiMH that has been around since 2005.